Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
A Syllabus and Book List for Novice Students of Science Fiction Literature

A Wired Magazine article found here.
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Ummm.. no Jules Verne? I know the list is not aiming to cover everything, but no Jules Verne? Particularly when we are talking about Genre foundations?

Also, the Sparrow for Space Travel? Its a good Alien Contact novel, but it sucks in how it describes space travel!

Speaking of which, what sort of syllabus on Science Fiction doesn't even go for any Hard Science Fiction? The closest I see on this list is I Robot, but that only barely qualifies (in my opinion).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Very cool! Since my visit to the SF Museum in Seattle, I've been reading books off their 'recommended' list.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Wait - there's a SF museum?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
socal9
socal9 began at the beginning.

Device: waiting for kindle
I took a look at Wired's recommended reading list and while I did read a few of the books and enjoyed them, there was one that just frustrated me. The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick just left me flat. I remember finishing the book and thought that someone had rippped out the last few pages of my copy of the book. The ending for me was terrible. Evidently the vast majority of people who read the book loved it so I guess it was just me.
socal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Might I add the following books by James Gunn to the list for anyone interested in the history of science fiction. These books are all outstanding.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081...SIN=0810844141

This site is also quite good as well. Don't recall exactly how I ran across it but I think it is really good.

http://www.sf-foundation.org/

And I would also suggest this site for people looking to get into reading and learning about science fiction. Something for almost everyone can be found here.

http://www.magicdragon.com/UltimateSF/SF-Index.html

Enjoy if you will.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
Might I add the following books by James Gunn to the list for anyone interested in the history of science fiction. These books are all outstanding.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081...SIN=0810844141
Oh yes! The only one I've read is Volume 3, and it was fantastic.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Wait - there's a SF museum?
Indeed. It's not terribly large, but I thought it was fun. See page 2 here (pdf).

I visited... about 2 years ago. The thing that sticks with me the most is this holographic display that showed you a handful of different planets from famous works and talked about them. It was brief, but cool. Arrakis was my favorite.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Indeed. It's not terribly large, but I thought it was fun. ...
Just checked out their website. In addition to the SF museum, they are also the "Experience Music Project". Quite a combination!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote