Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Maur
Maur began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
epub locked content

I'm new to ereading and am prefering Calibre to ADE for managing my growing library.
Question #1: epubs borrowed/downloaded from my public library into ADE will automatically lockup/expire after 21 days, both on ADE and on my kobo ereader. Is there any way that I can avoid this lockup by transferring the book to my reader via Calibre rather than ADE?
Question #2: When I attempt to view epubs that I have purchased on the Calibre Viewer, I get a DRM Error. Strange, as I am able to view these books on the ADE viewer.
Thanks for your help
Maur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maur View Post
Question #1: epubs borrowed/downloaded from my public library into ADE will automatically lockup/expire after 21 days, both on ADE and on my kobo ereader. Is there any way that I can avoid this lockup by transferring the book to my reader via Calibre rather than ADE?
No, your book is locked with DRM.
Quote:
Question #2: When I attempt to view epubs that I have purchased on the Calibre Viewer, I get a DRM Error. Strange, as I am able to view these books on the ADE viewer.
ADE understands the DRM and works with it to allow the book to be read (for a limited period). Calibre viewer reads only books that have no DRM. You can still use Calibre to store and transfer your DRM'd books to an authorized e-reader, but not convert or read them.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
No, calibre will not change the restriction on those files in any way.

Quote:
Not strange at all, calibre's viewer is a DRM free zone. ADE handles Adobe's DRM as designed.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-02-2010 at 09:39 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I was having some problems today and ended up formatting my Reader's memory and loading all the books back on again, one of which was a library book. When I had first loaded the book with ADE, it had a notation of the expiration date when it displayed on my Reader. After the format, I added it back to the Reader with Calibre (because ADE was going very slow and I was impatient) and it appears now as a normal book, with no indication that it will expire or that it is a library book at all. Perhaps this is a happy accident, since in ADE it still appears as a library book with the option of returning it. I guess I will find out in ten days if it has disappeared or not.

But everyone is right about not being able to view books. You can't use Calibre to view DRM-restricted books, no matter what the source.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote