Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
fb2lrf...

Sorry if this was mentioned before on the forum.

I've spent quite some time looking for the best way to convert (mass-convert if possible) fb2 (FictionBook 2.0) ebooks to BBeB and just couldn't find anything convenient or reliable enough. I've tried exporting directly from BookDesigner to LRF, but that just doesn't work like it should all the time and has it's quirks. I even tried copy pasting the rich-text content from BookDesigner into BBeB Binder (something that works wonders for some stubborn RTF and HTML files, BTW).

And then i ran into this:
http://www.bookdesigner.org/wordpress/?p=15

Seems like lrs2lrf (LRSParser) author made the ultimate FB2 converter for Sony Reader users. It works like a charm, has a nice, minimalistic interface and handles multiple files (folderfulls of them) without a hitch. It converts all the relevant formatting, headings, chapter breaks, the cover... It even puts little book and chapter titles in the header and footer, and manages margins much more wisely than Sony's own ebooks do. A truly wonderful work!

Direct download link:
http://www.msh-tools.com/ebook/fb2lrf.zip
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
mlkmnz
Enthusiast
mlkmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony Reader
I've tried using fb2lrf and it just sits there and hangs when I try to convert. Anyone else have this issue?
mlkmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Now if only we could get am imp2lrf converter, I'd me a happy camper! Thanks for the info.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
obelix
Connoisseur
obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnz
I've tried using fb2lrf and it just sits there and hangs when I try to convert. Anyone else have this issue?
Current version is http://www.msh-tools.com/ebook/fb2lrf_12.zip
What fb2 book did you try to convert?
obelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
mlkmnz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by obelix
What fb2 book did you try to convert?
Any. Would you like me to send you one?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
obelix
Connoisseur
obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Any. Would you like me to send you one?
Yes please.
Alternatively, you can try any book from http://www.fictionbook.ru/ (there are many available in english). Another source of fb2 english books: http://career-english.ru/library.htm
In our latest tests 25000 books were converted within 4 hours (0.6 sec/book) without a single error.
You can get current version of fb2lrf here:
http://www.msh-tools.com/ebook/fb2lrf_12_1.zip

Last edited by obelix; 04-09-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:31 AM   #7
mlkmnz
Enthusiast

I've tried some fb2 files from the site you suggested and it worked better, leading me to believe my FB2 files may be incompatible with the program. I've zipped one example and attached it.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've tried some fb2 files from the site you suggested and it worked better, leading me to believe my FB2 files may be incompatible with the program. I've zipped one example and attached it.
It converted fine. The problem is that what you started with is crap. You have a FB2 file that's poorly formatted. So the resulting Sony Reader file will be crap as well. It can be cleaned up to look decent if you want to bother. The hardest part of cleaning this mess up is the paragraph breaks. You'll have to do it by hand. There's no way to automate cleaning them up. Your best bet would be to import this file into Book Designer and then output as RTF for Word.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
obelix
Connoisseur

Quote:
Conversion itself is OK, but fb2 file is not properly formated. fb2lrf is just a converter, the lrf output follows the fb2 source. I agree with JSWolf.