Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Purchasing Ebooks

I have just bought the Sony PRS-505 and am now looking to buy some books for it.

I have a number of classics which came with the book and these look great. I also have a number of books downloaded from various websites which don't look all that great but are still readable.

I am now looking to purchase a couple of books...

Firstly, The software that came with the device doesn't seem to link to the waterstones shop like I would expect. There is a banner in the middle of the screen and a link at the bottom asking me to register the device.

I click this link and it takes me to a sony page stating that the page I am looking for can't be found - so I registered manually by browsing through the site.

So, first, how do I use the software to search and download books through Waterstones (the website doesn't seem to have an easy to use search function just for E-books making it harder to get what I want).

Secondly, if I use another site to purchase a book, would PDF be a good enough format for this reader (I don't want to have to spend time formating anything). In general it seems there is the option of Palm, Mobi, Adobe, M-Soft.

Again, with DRM, how would I get this to work on my device - I do have Adobe Digital Editions installed.

Many thanks in advance

EDIT - Are there any stores that sell ebooks in lrf format?

Last edited by PieOPah; 11-02-2008 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Extra question
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Welcome PieOPah, hopefully someone with a Sony will pop in and help you - have you looked in the Sony threads
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Hi,

No I haven't looked in the Sony threads. I'll have a look in there to see if there is anything that can help me

Thanks,
Old 11-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi PieOPah and welcome to the Forum.

I gather you're in the UK so I don't ave any advice about Waterstones. But I have downloaded PDF formatted books and moved them over to the Reader library then uploaded them to the 505 using ADE
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
So, first, how do I use the software to search and download books through Waterstones (the website doesn't seem to have an easy to use search function just for E-books making it harder to get what I want).
In a word, you can't. Or sorry, that was two words. You are stuck with the search on the Waterstones web site.

However, to be able to d/l and read those books you will need to get an install Adobe Digital Editions. (I assume you have Windows since you could install the Sony softare.) After installing DE you will need to create an AdobeID and register your DE with that. Once you've done that you will need to connect your reader and register that.

Once you have DE when you d/l your ebook from the Waterstones site DE will kick in and get it.

Quote:
EDIT - Are there any stores that sell ebooks in lrf format?
Well, yes. There are several paces that see LRF ebooks. webscriptions.net and fictionwise.com (multi-format) and other author web sites. See the Wiki.

There are also other places that sell secure Adobe which include fictionwise.com and booksonboard.com.

Your other option is to learn how to remove DRM and convert to LRF.

Hth,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Also, places like booksonboard and fictionwise tend to be cheaper than Waterstones, and easier to use!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
PieOPah
Addict

Thanks.

I'll buy a cheap book and see how that goes
Old 11-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
lots of ebooks are cheap....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
idlebones
idlebones began at the beginning.

I've had the same problem with the Waterstones Site (I'm in Ireland) in that i've found utterly irritating. I haven't been able to search for anything properly, and have to trawl through lots of dross to find what I want: only to find there secure payments system is down. Worst of all, they don't publish an email address for queries, just a Postal address! Welcome to the 21st century lads!

I've always liked Waterstones the Stores, but their headoffice needs a good shakeb by the looks of things. They had the deal to sell them in Ireland over all other book shops, but as of last week, 18 stores still had not received a single one to pass on to their customers. I bought mine in Xtravision; A DVD shop!

Anyway, in answer to your question, yes, PDF does work on it, and I've had word format and txt on it too. I'd recommend using Calibre over Sony's interface as it gives you a hell of a lot more control and features. Oh yeah, and it works.
idlebones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 AM   #10
PieOPah
Addict

I have started to use Calibre. At first I didn't like the way it organises the books into folders (I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to my file organisation). There is no reason for a folder for a single file...

Anyway, I got past that (although still annoys the hell out of me) and started to use it.

While there are some things I don't like about it, I like it enough to use it
Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 AM   #11
thfc2008
thfc2008 began at the beginning.

I would advise using the Waterstones site directly, rather than through the silly Sony software. Waterstones are quite expensive for some ebooks though - its worth googling/checking prices in a couple of other stores like fictionwise before buying.

Calibre also gets my vote. I don't use the library, just copy all my ebooks over direct to the Sony Reader drive on my PC and use Calibre to verify.

I'm sure the library works well but - its just I haven't worked out the best way to use it yet.
thfc2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 AM   #12
Wimpey
Wimpey began at the beginning.

Why not try the Usenet? I have downloaded over the years about 22500 e-books. Admittedly, there is a lot of crap floating around, but I have now 530 'favourites' in my PRS-505.

Most of the books are uploaded in PDF, LIT, TXT or DOC format. They are all very quickly re-formatted to RTF.

Mind you: I am Dutch. And in my country, downloading of copyrighted books is is not considered illegal (Uploading is, but not downloading).

Good luck!
Wimpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
etak
etak began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
waterstones

Hi
I've also found the waterstones web site to be very frustrating not having a ebook search engine.
I've brought all my books so far from books on board in adobe.
i'm very happy with them.
etak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
mjm2705
mjm2705 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etak View Post
Hi
I've also found the waterstones web site to be very frustrating not having a ebook search engine.
I've brought all my books so far from books on board in adobe.
i'm very happy with them.

First post for me ... go easy !!!

As a gadget freak who reads lots of online content and magazines but not enough books the Sony PRS-505 is the perfect route into more book reading for me ... and its working !!! I'm onto my third book in 3 weeks (and I'm not even on holiday ) ...

I totally agree with the complaints about the Waterstones site and have no plans to use them til they sort themselves out.

So far I've bought 3 books from booksonboard.com (loving the rebates BTW ... I know its common practice in the US but I now have enough rebates to 'buy' a title for nothing )

I also bought the new Ian Rankin "Doors Open" from the WH Smith ebook store.

So after Freakonomics, Doors Open and The Bourne Sanction I'm planning on going onto "The Janus Project" by Deborah David unless there's any recommendations kicking about ???!!!

BTW ... by battery indicator has just dropped 1 segment in all the time I've had it !!!

Lovin' the Sony Reader ... ignorin' Waterstones
mjm2705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #15
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
I have just bought the Sony PRS-505 and am now looking to buy some books for it.

I have a number of classics which came with the book and these look great.
I started reading a some of the classics that came with the reader, but I found that they had too many typos. The same classics downloaded from this web site are generally much better, in my opinion.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote