Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
forestplay
forestplay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Two Issues with Kindle Kbd

I'm having two issues with my Kindle Keyboard.

1. The book currently being read is appearing at the end of the list of books shown with the "Home" key. This happens both with book loaded into the Kindle directly from Amazon (via Whispernet) and with mobi books loaded via Calibre.

2. Sometimes my Kindle does not turn on with the power switch. I have to hold it for 20-30 seconds to cause a reboot. A friend says this is a firmware bug that appears when the Kindle has ~50% battery charge. Is this what is happening?

More info:

I have firmware 3.3 (611680021) loaded.

Thanks for your help/suggestions.

-Bob
forestplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
No idea on #1. But, I did have a similar experience once with #2. It happened once (not sure what the battery level was, though) and had to reboot. But, that was only once and I've not had it happen again since.

Perhaps doing a factory reset could help? If all else fails, contact Kindle support.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
#1 sounds like what happens if it somehow loses the current date (which I've had happen when #2 happens)... try synchronizing via wifi or 3g so that it'll reset the date. Then books will start showing up in the right order. Unfortunately any that are messed up stay messed up until you open them again. You may have to set the time again manually (in the settings -- there's no place to set the date though, and time is just stored as an offset from the internal clock -- if your time is wrong and you haven't fixed it yet this indicates that my guess is correct)

I've had #2 happen maybe 6 or 7 times over the last few years -- not enough to care much. How often does it happen to you?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
forestplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
#1 sounds like what happens if it somehow loses the current date (which I've had happen when #2 happens)... try synchronizing via wifi or 3g so that it'll reset the date. Then books will start showing up in the right order.
This seems to have been the problem. I wirelessly sync'd to Amazon and the problem is gone. As you said, I had to open the 2-3 books I am reading to have them move back to the first page of the Home screen.

Quote:
I've had #2 happen maybe 6 or 7 times over the last few years -- not enough to care much. How often does it happen to you?
Several times since I bought this K3 used last October. I'm guessing probably 4-5 times? I'm going to keep it changed and see if that solves the problem. It's pretty annoying when it does happen.

Thank you very much for your suggestion about syncing to Amazon.

-Bob
Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestplay View Post
Several times since I bought this K3 used last October. I'm guessing probably 4-5 times? I'm going to keep it changed and see if that solves the problem. It's pretty annoying when it does happen.
Did you receive it with a leather cover without a built-in light? I wonder if you got one of the old ones that was causing hangs.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Bob, I'm glad that you were able to get your first problem solved! As for the Kindle not turning on...I've had two Kindle Keyboards, both with firmware 3.3. I often have the battery indicator at less than half, and I've never had that problem. I had my first K3 for a year and I've had the second for several months.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
This seems to have been the problem. I wirelessly sync'd to Amazon and the problem is gone. As you said, I had to open the 2-3 books I am reading to have them move back to the first page of the Home screen.
Your two issues are related, in the sense that rebooting your Kindle resets the clock, so you need to resync with Amazon's servers to set it correctly again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:

Thank you very much for your suggestion about syncing to Amazon.

-Bob
Bob,

I have a collection called "_0>Current Read" that I put the book(s) I am actually currently reading in. This collection is always at the top of the home screen and makes getting to my book(s) very easy.

By the way, I have had to do resets on my K3s "very" rarely. Once or twice each and only because the battery light was showing it wasn't charged when it was.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
forestplay

Quote:
Did you receive it with a leather cover without a built-in light? I wonder if you got one of the old ones that was causing hangs.
It has the cover without a light. I doubt this cover has much effect (but one never knows :-).

-Bob
Old 02-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
forestplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Bob,

I have a collection called "_0>Current Read" that I put the book(s) I am actually currently reading in. This collection is always at the top of the home screen and makes getting to my book(s) very easy.

By the way, I have had to do resets on my K3s "very" rarely. Once or twice each and only because the battery light was showing it wasn't charged when it was.

Dean
Collections? How does one make collections on the Kindle? I see collections on Calibre but haven't notices that books are grouped into collections on the Kindle.

-Bob
Old 02-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
forestplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your two issues are related, in the sense that rebooting your Kindle resets the clock, so you need to resync with Amazon's servers to set it correctly again.
This is a good point. I will be sure to immediately sync when I have the problem in the future. Thanks!

-Bob
Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Collections? How does one make collections on the Kindle? I see collections on Calibre but haven't notices that books are grouped into collections on the Kindle.

-Bob
You may wish to consider reading the "User Guide" which you will find on your Kindle. It is provided for a reason.

To create collections, you (surprisingly enough ) use the "Create Collection" item on the menu.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
It has the cover without a light. I doubt this cover has much effect (but one never knows :-).

-Bob
About a year ago Amazon was replacing their Amazon branded unlit leather covers because they were causing the device to hang, exactly as you describe. If your cover is the Amazon specific cover, try removing it for a while to see if the problem goes away. If it does, I'd contact Kindle support and ask if they're still replacing them.

AFAIK, nobody ever really figured out what was causing them to fail. Some suspected some kind of short caused by the hooks that go into the side of the case (which is where the electrical contacts are for the case with the light), but one guy did a video showing that you can short out everything in that region without causing harm, so it's still a mystery.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
forestplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You may wish to consider reading the "User Guide" which you will find on your Kindle. It is provided for a reason.

To create collections, you (surprisingly enough ) use the "Create Collection" item on the menu.
Hey! Look at that! It's right here in my Kindle.

Cool feature. Thanks!

-Bob
Old 02-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
forestplay

Quote:
About a year ago Amazon was replacing their Amazon branded unlit leather covers because they were causing the device to hang, exactly as you describe. If your cover is the Amazon specific cover, try removing it for a while to see if the problem goes away. If it does, I'd contact Kindle support and ask if they're still replacing them.

AFAIK, nobody ever really figured out what was causing them to fail. Some suspected some kind of short caused by the hooks that go into the side of the case (which is where the electrical contacts are for the case with the light), but one guy did a video showing that you can short out everything in that region without causing harm, so it's still a mystery.
I will try this. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Bob