Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
PRS-600 Lockup Displaying Page -- No Input Accepted

I have a brand new PRS-600 and was reading an LRF. The 600 was almost fully charged; it'd just dropped 1 bar yesterday after being charged last week.

I was reading the LRF for about 20 minutes steady. But I got to a point when I hit a page, and could not turn it. No page next. No page previous. No Home. No Zoom. No Stylus input... I was stuck. Not even the power button (held) worked!

After trying all this, I plugged the 600 in, and suddenly had the "Do you want to restart. [yes][no]" box pop up, presumably from my previous attempt to power down. All inputs now worked. And I could move to the previous/next page.

Is a page lockup on battery a known issue with the PRS-600?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Could have been a little debris right between the rim of the housing and the touch screen. This has been reported a couple of times.

If debris gets under the rim and slightly presses the screen, the reader seems to interprete this as a "touch" and blocks all other input. In this case, a toothpick (or anything not damaging the screen) is a good tool. I try to clean my display always from the rim to the center to make sure I'm not moving any dust and crumbs (I sometimes eat while reading) under the rim.

If your reader now works again, the little crumb or whatever it was probably has gotten lose!?

Anyways, glad for you that it works again.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Good to know. The only thing is that the Reader came back after plugging it in, so I'm a bit suspicious of the crumb theory in this particular instance. But I will certainly watch out for that if it happens again!

-Pie
Old 04-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Sure. It was just a "be careful" sort of post
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Good to know. The only thing is that the Reader came back after plugging it in, so I'm a bit suspicious of the crumb theory in this particular instance. But I will certainly watch out for that if it happens again!
It seems most lock ups early on are due to needing charging. I think the battery indicator might not be as accurate early on.

Do you use a wall charger to charge your unit?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It seems most lock ups early on are due to needing charging. I think the battery indicator might not be as accurate early on.

Do you use a wall charger to charge your unit?
Yeah, wall charged.

Boy that is one mighty inaccurate indicator. It showed 3 bars when it locked. And I actually had a few hundred pages before it dropped from 4 to 3, which was pretty nice.

-Pie
Old 04-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I'm with Dwanthy. Something about the PRS600 causes complete unexpected battery drain regardless of what the indicator is showing but it seems to be limited to the first few weeks of ownership. It happened relentlessly to me for the first two weeks and then just as suddenly stopped happening and for the last 8 months approximately I have not had this problem again.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote