Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 01-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Cool Sunrise XP alpha 2 released

I'm pleased to announce the second alpha of Sunrise XP.

Sunrise XP is a reworking of Sunrise. For more information, see the thread for the previous alpha.

Changes

The highlight of this release is RSS support. There are also many bugfixes:
  • New: RSS feed support.
  • New: Feed formatting options.
  • New: Ability to save feed items.
  • New: Link rewriting scripts.
  • New: Monthly schedule.
  • New: Attach date stamp to document name.
  • New: Plain text conversion.
  • New: GZIP decompression of HTTP responses.
  • New: HTTP User-Agent preference.
  • New: "Update only if sources have changed" setting now implemented. (Did not actually work in the previous release.)
  • New: Command-line option for updating documents automatically. (Select "Update -> Shortcut" to create a shortcut.)
  • Fixed: Fixed several threading issues in the spidering engine. Cancelling an update could, for instance, result in a crash.
  • Fixed: Multiple HTML <br> line breaks are now folded into a single line break.
  • Fixed: Parsing invalid HTML would sometimes yield a "Mismatched setting" error.
  • Fixed: Invalid HTML with empty paragraphs would cause paragraph breaks to be ignored.
  • Fixed: Formatting (alignment, font, colour) are now correctly reset for table cells.
  • Fixed: Invalid images are no longer linked to. (These would show up as "[img error: bad image type]" in Plucker.)
  • Fixed: PNG/JPEG/GIF image types are now detected by looking for their signature "magic bytes".
  • Fixed: "Restrict to domain/host/directory" setting did not work correctly and using it could result in a crash.
  • Fixed: Added missing character encoding mapping for Japanese. (shift_jis)
  • Fixed: HotSync conduit now aborts properly when the connection to the handheld is lost.
  • Fixed: "Store downloads in cache" setting was not saved.
  • Fixed: Drop-down lists were not displayed under the Windows "classic" interface.
  • Fixed: Numerous minor bugfixes and tweaks in the user interface.

See the full change log for more information. This also includes a roadmap for future releases.

Will post more info later today.

Download:
Version 2.0 alpha 2b (842Kb)

Updated to version 2.0 alpha 2b. See note below.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Lightbulb RSS feeds

The RSS feed support is the highlight of this release. One particularly nice feature is the ability to split a feed into multiple pages. This is especially handy for feeds that contain many entries with images, such as Engadget. (Long-time users will remember this feature from JPluck and BlogPluck.)

See the sample screenshots below. (Note that these use the excellent Alethe fonts prepared by Alexander Pruss.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engadget1.gif
Views:	615
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	922   Click image for larger version

Name:	engadget2.gif
Views:	560
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	923   Click image for larger version

Name:	engadget3.gif
Views:	632
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	924  
Advert
Old 01-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Smile More about newsfeeds

Another significant new feature is the ability to save feed items. Sunrise XP can collect news over time (much like a regular newsfeed aggregator does) rather than just take a static snapshot of the current feed. This is especially useful for sites with a high turnover rate, such as Reuters or BBC News.

Sunrise XP also records the time a particular item was received, handy for feeds that don't have publication dates. (See attached screens.)

(Currently you have to run a full update to update the newsfeed. The next alpha will have an option to update just the newsfeed.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	feedoptions.png
Views:	568
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	925   Click image for larger version

Name:	astrobiology1.gif
Views:	599
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	926   Click image for larger version

Name:	astrobiology2.gif
Views:	528
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	927  
Old 01-10-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
mbear67
mbear67 began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten | E
I want to tell you that the SunriseXP program is what I've been looking for as an alternative to AvantGo...I much prefer establishing my own feeds and being able to read them in Plucker on Tungsten|E. Very nice...and the Alpha 1 was working very well. No issues getting/updating the sites I desired.

But...I've installed the new Alpha 2, and now it's giving me this error:

Sunrise XP: could not find HotSync user.
OK Sunrise XP with 1 message(s)

I've removed the program twice (everything from both computer and PDA) and re-installed and checked my feeds...everything is set properly, but I'm not getting my documents now.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Lightbulb 2.0 alpha 2a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbear67
But...I've installed the new Alpha 2, and now it's giving me this error:

Sunrise XP: could not find HotSync user.

I've removed the program twice (everything from both computer and PDA) and re-installed and checked my feeds...everything is set properly, but I'm not getting my documents now.
Thanks for your feedback. Does your HotSync username contain any spaces? If so, that should be fixed in alpha 2a. I updated the download link in the top posting.
Advert
Old 01-11-2006, 05:33 AM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Smile Download cache and cookie store

Sunrise XP uses the Windows Internet functions (WinInet) to download and cache pages/images and store cookies. The cache is global to the user account and every application that uses the Internet functions has access to the cache and cookies. (Internet Explorer being the primary application.)

To manage the cache and cookies, go to Control Panel, select "Internet Options" and look under "Temporary Internet Files". (See the screenshots below.)

By sharing the cookies with Internet Explorer, Sunrise XP can access sites that require a login. All you have to do is log in to the site using Internet Explorer, making sure your login is saved. (Usually this is a checkmark labeled "Remember me" or something to that effect.) Then switch to Sunrise, open the document's properties and enable "Send Internet Explorer cookies" on the Update tab. (See screenshot.) Note that sending cookies is disabled by default.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	internetoptions.png
Views:	647
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	928   Click image for larger version

Name:	internetsettings.png
Views:	552
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	929   Click image for larger version

Name:	updateoptions.png
Views:	629
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	930  
Old 01-11-2006, 05:59 AM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Talking Spring release date

The tentative release date for Sunrise XP v2.0 is March 21, 2006. (Nice symbolic date.)

Originally, I had planned to put in more features, such as a Firefox extension and CSS support, but I'm pushing these back to a later date so as not to lose momentum. There will be two more alpha releases before the middle of February. Hopefully, things will be stable enough to go into beta stage after that.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on alpha 1. I've fixed many issues in response to your bug reports. Keep the feedback flowing! Jah bless you all!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
Problems with conduit and document generation

Laurens, I'd like to thank you so much for all your hard work and great programming. I've been using Jpluck, then Sunrise Desktop, and now I've gone straight to Sunrise XP alpha 2a, so I'm a long-term fan. This program is SO much faster (especially to load) on my fairly old computer.

I've been having two problems:

-- The Conduit is not working correctly with my Tungsten E2. When I right-click on the hotsync logo, select custom, and change the Sunrise XP conduit, any changes I make do not persist. I select the SXL to be used, tell the conduit to load to the SD card, select "update and transfer documents" and click that this setup is the default. I have the conduit stub installed on the Palm.

If I then close the conduit and re-open it, none of those settings have remained; it has the same original settings. And there is no automatic update/load of the files onto the Palm. I even took spaces out of the name of the SXL in case that was the cause.

-- Even if I manually update my SXL, Sunrise XP crashes within the "generate" phase of one of the documents within the SXL. (I created the SXL from the SDL using the command-line program). I've tried removing individual documents that have crashed from the SXL, but I still have been having crashes. I may try to manually create an SXL to see it matters.

Hopefully you have some ideas. Thanks again.

doogie
----------------
update:

I generated a new SXL from scratch and set the conduit to update it. The conduit seems to be working now, but some individual documents are still making Sunrise crash during the Hotsync process, only after all the web pages have been downloaded and the document is being generated. The Hotsync log begins as follows:

Expense - sync configured to Do Nothing
OK Quick Install
OK Note Pad
OK Tasks
OK Memos
-- Transferred "Accuweather.pdb" to Secure Digital.
-- Transferred "Banterist.pdb" to Secure Digital.
-- Transferred "Black Table.pdb" to Secure Digital.
Sunrise XP: Error -1073741819

Hopefully this is helpful for you. If I disable updating the documents that end in a crash, the other ones work fine.

Last edited by doogie68; 01-11-2006 at 10:47 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #9
mbear67
mbear67 began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten | E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Thanks for your feedback. Does your HotSync username contain any spaces? If so, that should be fixed in alpha 2a. I updated the download link in the top posting.
Thanks. That's exactly what the issue was, as I installed the 2.0a version and my selected URL's are now being sync'd successfully again.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:06 AM   #10
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie68
Hopefully this is helpful for you. If I disable updating the documents that end in a crash, the other ones work fine.
Could you send me the SXL with the documents that cause Sunrise to crash? This way I can reproduce the issue here.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Could you send me the SXL with the documents that cause Sunrise to crash? This way I can reproduce the issue here.
I'd be happy to; I have attached the SXL. All the documents that crash in the SXL are ones that I previously updated successfully on a daily or regular basis in the old Sunrise. All the ones that are disabled in the SXL are ones that crashed on me earlier last night. These include:

-- Book of Joe (after RSS version crashed, I tried the original page)
-- Daily Rotten
-- Follow Me Here
-- NYT Frontpage (yes, I know I can do an RSS feed but I like it better from the original page)
-- Obscure Store

[By the way, all of the ones listed above were made with the command-line program so that might be part of the problem.]

I also have noted some other issues, even in the Plucker documents that did complete successfully. For example, in the digg.com document, many of the links on the main page only connect to a single graphic file instead of the entire webpage. Hitting "details" in Plucker for that image gives a totally different URL than either the image or the intended page.

In Fark.com, I have had a similar experience with the images replacing entire webpages. In addition, some of the hyperlinks on the main page point to correct pages, but the wrong one. (i.e., the seventh link on the page points to the story from the first link.
Attached Files
File Type: zip doogies.zip (3.9 KB, 434 views)
Old 01-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
alanjrobertson
alanjrobertson began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX & SE K750
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie68
-- The Conduit is not working correctly with my Tungsten E2. When I right-click on the hotsync logo, select custom, and change the Sunrise XP conduit, any changes I make do not persist. I select the SXL to be used, tell the conduit to load to the SD card, select "update and transfer documents" and click that this setup is the default. I have the conduit stub installed on the Palm.

If I then close the conduit and re-open it, none of those settings have remained; it has the same original settings. And there is no automatic update/load of the files onto the Palm. I even took spaces out of the name of the SXL in case that was the cause.
I'm having exactly the same problem - I can't workout how to get the conduit to remember the file I want it to update. It therefore just gives me a 'Sunrise XP OK' message in the HotSync log and doesn't try to update it at all.

Thanks for any help!

Alan

PS This is on a newly created SXL.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #13
alanjrobertson
alanjrobertson began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX & SE K750
I'm also having trouble with it crashing at the end of updating the feeds. Haven't got HotSync working but just tried an update within the main program. It took quite a long time for a few of the threads (esp The Register RSS) but then crashed at the very end. SXL attached.

Cheers

Alan
Attached Files
File Type: zip ajrdaily.zip (1.0 KB, 498 views)
Old 01-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Thanks Alan and Doogie for the feedback! I'll look into it.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #15
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
Sorted the problem... thus I edited out my supposed 'bug' feedback

Last edited by gadgetguru; 01-13-2006 at 12:12 PM.