Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How should we buy/sell/resell ebooks?

There is not yet a general consensus on the terms under which electronic books (& other digital items in general) should be sold.

For physical objects, it's simple. You pay money and receive an object. You can use that item in any way you like. You can keep it, use it, destroy it, or sell it to someone else. You're not allowed to manufacture a duplicate to sell or give away, unless the item is a design that's in the public domain. But since duplicating a physical object is generally quite hard, this isn't an issue most people come across.

Ebooks. About the only similarity to buying a physical object is that money changes hands.

Having bought an ebook, what should I be allowed to do with it?

Should I be able to download it, or only read on-line? Who should be allowed to read the ebook? Should I be able to sell whatever it is that I've bought to someone else, and if so, how? If my backups fail, should I be allowed to redownload from the retailer?

How does the mobileread community think that ebook sales ought to operate.

NB I'm not asking how ebook sales currently operate, or what the law says in any particular country, or whether DRM is ever a good idea.

I'm interested in hearing how people think it should work in a world where your ideas on ebook sales were law.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-01-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: bad phrase choice
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Honour system when it's a 1to1 sale. Business sales should be registered. All of it without DRM. The important thing is that 'if' digital files cost as much as their 'physical' counterparts, then we should have the same rights of second-sale with them. If we don't get these same rights, if, in fact all we are buying is an extended license to rent the digital copy, then the price should be lowered to fairly represent that fact.

Charge me 50p and state clearly that what I'm buying is an extended rental, then I'll be happy. They can DRM the digital copy as much as they want as long as they're honest about what I'm paying for upfront.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
The operative words are "in an ideal world". In that case everyone is honest and no-one would even think of mass distributing bootlegged copies of anything. Under those circumstances I agree with Moejoe completely, the honor system.

I'm honest, and you’re honest, but I'm not sure about the rest of the brigands out there, in fact I’m not even sure about you!

Even though, don’t sell me something that becomes effectively worthless once I’ve read it. Even the Goodwill store gets SOMETHING for used books.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
As I'm not paying a dollar or two for my ebooks, but at least as much (if not more) than my paperbacks, I think we should be allowed to resell them. Even if it's a password protected type of thing, it should be done.

For all that we love our E books, I think the time may come when the price really creates a backlash Against E books when compared to buying a paperback.
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Personally, I'd be happy if I could just share the ebooks I loved with my friends and pass on the ones I didn't love to someone else who might prefer them...just like my p-books.

It would also be nice if I could donate my finished ebooks to the library.

Of course, that's not really feasible, given that eReader is my DRM hell-of-choice, and then I'd have to give away my credit card number!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
The operative words are "in an ideal world".
OK, bad choice of words. Now edited to read "in a world where your ideas on ebook sales were law".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote