Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Post First Android Phone and Three Application Stores Launch

T-Mobile Launches G1 Android Phone -- Three Application Stores Open -- Some Apparently Confused By This

By now you all know that T-Mobile is launching the first Google Android OS cell-phone, the G1. You probably know that the launch happened yesterday, and you may know that three separate Android application stores opened at the same time.

The folks over at ReadWriteWeb have a nice write up comparing the various stores. Nothing earthshaking in it really: they're just application stores, after all.

The curious thing to me is that they seem to be getting all twistie about the fact that there is more than one place to get applications.
Quote:
Along with the device itself, the Google Android Market also went live. [snip] However, the Android Market isn't the only place to get apps. Both Handango and MobiHand have app stores of their own. Will this open ecosystem be good for the "Google phone" or will it lead to consumer confusion?

[big snip]

Uh-oh! It's only one day into Android being publicly available and already there are three different places to shop for apps? Google's Android Market will feature free apps at first, with paid apps not being included until next year. Meanwhile, paid applications today are found in two non-official stores, each with different pricing for the exact same apps.

Say whatever you want about Apple's locked-down ecosystem, but there is simplicity in knowing there's only one place to get apps (well, unless you're voiding your warranty through jailbreaking, that is). What will people think of all these Android stores? We're worried that these parallel marketplaces could lead to consumer confusion. We love that Google has gone the open route with Android, but Apple has been successful doing just the opposite. That makes us wonder: is "open" still a way to compete?
Perhaps they're just looking for a way to put some interest on the piece, but it raises an interesting thought in my mind (well interesting to my mind): where did this idea come from that the only way to succeed is to do things the way Steve Jobs does them? I mean that's worked out so very well for them historically.

Sure, the iPod is a raging success, to the point that there is even a semi-organized anti-iPodian movement. And the iPhone has caused a pretty big splash, but I think it may be a bit too early to call it a success on the scale of the iPod (personally, I suspect that many of the iPhone buyers are at least partly driven by a desire to combine a phone with their beloved iPods, an iPodPhone if you will). But those are merely two successes in a long string of what might be fairly characterized as mediocrities. They still have their flops, certainly, Apple TV doesn't seem to have taken off as they must have hoped.

It is completely fair, of course, to compare the Android phones to the iPhone, because Google is positioning the G1 as a direct competitor to the iPhone, but has the free market mindset really warped into a "company store" mindset so quickly?

How many folks out there are truly concerned that having a whopping three stores to choose from will actually confuse consumers? Particularly when the G1 is by its very nature aimed more at folks who don't want to join the Apple Collective? We live in a world where having three Starbucks to choose from on any given block is more typical than it really ought to be, will three separate storefronts be a proverbial Gordian Knot?

They invite comments on their site, so you don't have to share your thoughts only here. Oops, there goes that "consumer choice" cat right out of the bag again!

So what about you? Are you "confused?"
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm confused as to why they think I should find choice confusing!

If I can think of something more erudite to say, I may leave them a comment. At the moment I'm rather stunned by their very blinkered viewpoint.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When the three stores offer different applications, depending on the interests and desires (and concerns) of each store, you'll have a truly egalitarian system. You want an app that slices, but don't like the way store A's app dices? Get it from store B instead. Vendor choice hurts nothing.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Obviously in an ideal world, there would only be one website for all online purchases -- probably Amazon. But until that great day comes, we'll just have to keep dealing with this complicated "making decisions" process. *sigh*
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If your idea of simple is Amazon ... I don't think I want to see what you consider "complicated!"

Comparison shopping (I mean between two products for the same purpose, i.e. picking a cellphone or television) on Amazon is often mind-bending. Sure if you already know what you're interested in, it's great: reviews (many are even helpful), prices variety, etc. is all there, but narrowing it down to two or three choices can put you in the nut-house.
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Obviously in an ideal world, there would only be one website for all online purchases -- probably Amazon. But until that great day comes, we'll just have to keep dealing with this complicated "making decisions" process. *sigh*
that's sarcasm, right ?

natch, i noticed you put more than one link in your post there. i'm confused about which one to follow first, or whether i need to follow all of them to fully complement my appreciation of your prose. for instance, if i know what a gordian knot is already, is it still preferable to follow the link that leads to the eponymous wikipedia article ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that's sarcasm, right ?
You didn't see the :toungeincheek: icon?

Oh wait, was your message sarcasm too? How ironic.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You didn't see the :toungeincheek: icon?

Oh wait, was your message sarcasm too? How ironic.

BOb
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
natch, i noticed you put more than one link in your post there. i'm confused about which one to follow first, or whether i need to follow all of them to fully complement my appreciation of your prose. for instance, if i know what a gordian knot is already, is it still preferable to follow the link that leads to the eponymous wikipedia article ?
Heh. I almost responded to this at face value.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I'm eyeing up the G1 (long-time TMobile/Treo user), but I'll be waiting until eReader has an Android version. I'd prefer a Mobi reader, too, but since they've dragged their feet on an iPhone app, I doubt Android is a priority.

I have no idea why multiple application stores is a problem. ??? I bought Palm apps from all sorts of sources over the years - my preference is to buy directly from the developer.

Just because Apple does something one way for their market, doesn't mean it has to work that way for EVERYTHING (and I'm a long-time Mac user, too).

Bree
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Great googley moogley -- the New York Times is running the exact same article now.

But I guess that publication is beyond feeling shame.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #12
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
Same with milk

I've had the same problem for years with milk! Milk is sold in different stores, and there's even different prices for the same product, so I get so utterly confused that I often end up without getting any milk at all! This is an awful situation. I don't understand how consumers can accept that milk is sold in more than one store!
msundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Well, that has to be one of the most idiotic articles I've ever read. I shop all over the place every time I buy anything ... software, hardware, clothing, food ... you name it.

Does that "confuse" me?? Ummmm .... no, but then I'm not a complete and total moron.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:01 AM   #14
AdrianWerner
AdrianWerner began at the beginning.

Device: Thinkpad X60t
I think ipod success has twisted some journalists' perception of reality.
Iphone isn't the only way to do this kind of thing and unlike ipods which completely dominated the market, iphone isn't anywhere near as popular and in smartphone market it doesn't look like Apple can take no.1 spot from Nokia anytime soon.
So no, in phones market you don't have to play by Apple rules
AdrianWerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #15
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by msundman View Post
I've had the same problem for years with milk! Milk is sold in different stores, and there's even different prices for the same product, so I get so utterly confused that I often end up without getting any milk at all! This is an awful situation. I don't understand how consumers can accept that milk is sold in more than one store!
[sarcastic]Some of it even comes from *different cows!* The sooner the world genetically engineers one gigantic supercow, the better.[/sarcarstic]
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, iphone