Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
prsljw1
prsljw1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Do not disconnect screen

Hi,

I'm really excited about my new PRS-505 but am having the following problem.

When I connect it to my PC the screen displays the "Do not disconnect" screen forever (see attached picture).

- My computer & reader have been authorized.
- The reader is on before I connect it to the PC.

My library is empty and I would like to perform my initial sync to capture the contents on the reader, but can't get past this screen.

Any help to this new owner is most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prs505.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	10623  
prsljw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you see the circle with the slash in it, that means you have it connected to the USB port of your computer and eBook Library running. Just use eBook Library to copy content to your 505. All you need do is drag and drop to Sony reader on the left pane.

What you see is 100% normal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
prsljw1
prsljw1 began at the beginning.

Thanks JSWolf!
prsljw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Be sure to read the provided manual. It tells you how to do all of this stuff.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
Absolutely read the manual about the USB linking/delinking procedure. It is important that you follow the directions for shutting down the PC link to your Sony eReader BEFORE you disconnect the USB cable. If you don't you might find that link screen on your eReader frozen after pullling the USB cable. If that happens, just hook it back to your PC and leave it alone for about 40-50 minutes and it should be okay.
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
lisangus
lisangus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
How long should it take for a book to be transferred via USB to the Reader? That "do not disconnect" message has been showing for several hours now, after I transferred 3 not-very-large books to it. This seems a very long time to be transferring files -- I could move large photos or other large files to/from connecting devices via USB in just a few minutes. It doesn't seem reasonable to me that I would have to wait for hours for a data transfer to be completed. Can anyone tell me what I should expect as a reasonable data transfer time, and if several hours is unreasonably long, am I safe to disconnect the USB anyway?
lisangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As long as you have eBook Library going and it sees the Reader connected to the USB port, that Do Not Disconnect message on the screen will always be there even if you have nothing transferring. On the left pane of eBook library next to where you see the Reader is an eject button. When you are done doing what it is you want, click that and it will disconnect the Reader from the computer and then just pull out the USB cable from the Reader.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
lisangus
lisangus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
Thanks.
How do I know the data has finished transferring (so I don't press eject prematurely)?

-- Lis
lisangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Check the Status option just bellow Library, it spins when its transferring.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisangus View Post
Thanks.
How do I know the data has finished transferring (so I don't press eject prematurely)?

-- Lis
It won't allow you to eject before it's done.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
movieking
movieking began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Just to be sure, with the sony software, I can transfer, then I can eject as in iTunes. Is it safe to disconnect then, or should I do something else (like the safely remove hardware feature)? I am pretty sure that the reader doesn't show up after it's been ejected anyway.

And what is the disconnect procedure when using calibre? I prefer using calibre to upload my books, but any uploads using calibre doesn't seem to cause the do not disconnect symbol on the reader. Do I just make sure that there are no jobs in progress and disconnect? Or should I disconnect using the safely remove hardware method in windows?

I want to make sure that I don't cause my reader to lock up.
movieking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
with calibre if there are no jobs in progress it is safe to disconnect. But in general you should always use the safe to disconnect method. Make it a habit even though it is not strictly needed in this case.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
When I'm using the Sony software and I hit the eject button, my Sony Reader no longer shows up as a device in my "safely remove hardware" list.

I've also noticed that once I hit eject, my reader will stop charging and the battery will actually begin draining. So I make sure not to hit the eject button until I'm ready to unplug my reader!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
Nova5
Enthusiast
Nova5 began at the beginning.

I use calibre and never have to worry about the disconnect steps because (Geek warning) Calibre does not load the caching drivers to speed up transfers to removable drives. Ebook Library does. Vista also by default does not load the cache drivers on removable media, unlike XP which does.
Nova5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
lnmumu
lnmumu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lnmumu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lnmumu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lnmumu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony reader 950
I am not exactly on topic, but I don't see how to start a new thread.
If I connect my sony reader 950 to my Mac, I get a battery charging screen.
I think I am getting this limitation because I connected the reader to the reader.
I really just want to read PDF files. If I download book, they will be from Amazon where the books I want are. So I downloaded Caliber.
Wish is could ask this question in a thread just for the question or something related.
lnmumu is offline   Reply With Quote