Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Will I be able to download my own books on the Fire?

Or will I have to buy only Amazon books? I currently have a Kindle 1 (I know..old) and have pre-ordered a Fire. I have always purchased pdf books & converted them to .awz files and put them on my Kindle. Will I still be able to do this with the Fire?
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Yes. Get Calibre. It'll make your life much, much easier.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the reply. I have both Calibre and Stanza. I have used both and have converted lots of books. It is just so darned easy on the Kindle 1 and I was worried that I either wouldn't be able to do it or it would be really hard. Guess I will just have to figure it out when I get it in a couple of weeks. I am a little nervous about being too dumb to use it. I keep telling myself that I have an iphone so surely I can figure out the fire.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Not one device that I know of (at least the ones that I have) prevents you from sideloading your own ebooks. iPad initially made it difficult but then updated iTunes and now it's easy. Kindle never prevented sideloading; it even provided more than one way to get your ebook on the Kindle (USB, email to the Kindle, download from the browser). From what I've read, Kindle Fire will not only allow sideloading of books and other content (music, movies), you will also be able to sideload Android apps without rooting:

"Yes, you can sideload Android apps using a USB cable and mass storage."

Also, "Amazon isn't doing anything special to prevent techies from "rooting" and rewriting the software on its powerful yet inexpensive new tablet, Jon Jenkins, director of Amazon's Silk browser project said."

If Amazon is not preventing rooting, a fortiori, they won't prevent sideloading of content.

Last edited by osnova; 11-08-2011 at 01:51 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
chedva
chedva began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook touch
OK, I'm a newbie. I have Calibre but never figured out how to use it. So I have a baby question. I currently have a Sony e-reader but am considering a Kindle of some sort, probably the Fire. Does all of the above mean that I can put the books I already own onto the Kindle? Without conversion?
chedva is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by chedva View Post
OK, I'm a newbie. I have Calibre but never figured out how to use it. So I have a baby question. I currently have a Sony e-reader but am considering a Kindle of some sort, probably the Fire. Does all of the above mean that I can put the books I already own onto the Kindle? Without conversion?
No, you will require conversion. And you may need to strip the DRM first (if you haven't already).

Scratch that.

You could install Aldiko and read using that application, but it won't be the integrated Amazon experience with anything but Amazon books or books you convert to the Amazon format.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
You should be able to with the Kindle Fire. The Mantano app which is $7 at the app store will read your epubs if they allow it on the Fire. There is some speculation on what apps work with the Fire. We don't know yet if you can sideload apps if so then there are many other epub eReader apps to choose from. Mantano has a free version on the Market but not yet on Amazon's app store I don't think.

A normal eInk Kindle wont read epubs and you will need to convert them to mobi for them to work but the Kindle Fire is a Android tablet so it will work if Amazon allows those apps.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
chedva

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
No, you will require conversion. And you may need to strip the DRM first (if you haven't already).

Scratch that.

You could install Aldiko and read using that application, but it won't be the integrated Amazon experience with anything but Amazon books or books you convert to the Amazon format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You should be able to with the Kindle Fire. The Mantano app which is $7 at the app store will read your epubs if they allow it on the Fire. There is some speculation on what apps work with the Fire. We don't know yet if you can sideload apps if so then there are many other epub eReader apps to choose from. Mantano has a free version on the Market but not yet on Amazon's app store I don't think.

A normal eInk Kindle wont read epubs and you will need to convert them to mobi for them to work but the Kindle Fire is a Android tablet so it will work if Amazon allows those apps.
both! If they make it easy, I'll definitely consider the Fire. I'm also going to look at how to do the conversion from Epub to mobi (that's the Kindle format, right?). I'm excited to take advantage of the lending library.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Calibre is everything you need to manipulate or convert any ebook format to any other, start to finish. It'll even do it on the fly if, say, you try to send an epub to a kindle device.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Clerky96:

I use Aldiko for my epubs (which your Sony books are). And if you can, try to put a little time into learning a bit about "Calibre" - I know it's scary at first, but if you keep it a separate library, you won't accidentally scrap any of your own books when you're starting off.

Hi Blossom:

Does Mantano do a good job with "Collections" (for lack of a better name)? This is the main reason I love Aldiko ... Especially if you have a lot of books and can't find anything with the (pretty, but kind of useless) "shelf" feature.

If it does, I'll give it a try ...
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Calibre conversions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Calibre is everything you need to manipulate or convert any ebook format to any other, start to finish. It'll even do it on the fly if, say, you try to send an epub to a kindle device.
I have ePub protected books which I've read on my Sony Reader. Can I convert them to Amazon Kindle format and remove the Sony copy protection in the process with Calibre?

I do know I can copy any parts of books I can read on my PC and paste them into Word. From Word I can send them to my Kindle to a special email address where they are automatically converted to Kindle format for my own personal use.

I've only done this for Bible reference material for use in Bible Studies at my Church.

It would be nice if all the eBook publishers used a standard, protected format so we could read them on any brand of eReader. Then we could buy eBooks anywhere no matter what eReaders we own and interchange the eReaders as we feel.

When we buy a pBook, the publisher and author receive their fees. When we buy an eBook they also receive their fees. We should have a license to read an eBook anywhere once we pay those fees.

Right now my wife uses the Sony reader and I use the Amazon Kindle. If we want to read the same book, I have to buy TWO copies. That does not seem equitable to me. To fix that, she will have to start using an Amazon Kindle as well.

Since Amazon has the best eReaders around, in my opinion the present arrangement will result in Amazon eventually getting a monopoly on ALL eBooks published and will end all it's competition in eReaders and eBooks.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
chedva

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Understood. I just have to figure out how to do it! If anyone can link me to a step by step tutorial (Calibre for Dummies?), I'd be eternally grateful!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Clerky96:

I use Aldiko for my epubs (which your Sony books are). And if you can, try to put a little time into learning a bit about "Calibre" - I know it's scary at first, but if you keep it a separate library, you won't accidentally scrap any of your own books when you're starting off.

Hi Blossom:

Does Mantano do a good job with "Collections" (for lack of a better name)? This is the main reason I love Aldiko ... Especially if you have a lot of books and can't find anything with the (pretty, but kind of useless) "shelf" feature.

If it does, I'll give it a try ...
Yes Mantano has a collections feature you can also filter by tags, publisher and other metadata. It's really nice. It reads external style sheets correctly. You can change the font, margins, background, text color....etc. I've tried all eReaders apps and Mantano is the best one in my opinion. I hope they add a free version to the App Store like they did the Market.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I have ePub protected books which I've read on my Sony Reader. Can I convert them to Amazon Kindle format and remove the Sony copy protection in the process with Calibre?
You can. DRM Removal discussion isn't allowed here on Mobile Read, but google 'apprentice alf' and you'll find what you need.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Understood. I just have to figure out how to do it! If anyone can link me to a step by step tutorial (Calibre for Dummies?), I'd be eternally grateful!
Here you: go