Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 03-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
ereader pdb to rtf, txt, anything?

Hi

I've looked all over this section, and I remember I have seen a thread about this. But I can't find it.

Is there a way to convert an ereader pdb to any other format? Specifically rtf or txt, htm would be less helpful cause I would need to convert in to rtf, and that might cause bloat.

Thanks
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Take a look at the wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_conversion
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2007, 04:18 AM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Wow. Thanks a lot. Just what I need.

edit: Doesn't seem to work. The only program I can see there that convert pdb - abc pdb - convert my ereader pdb into loads of rubbish.

Any other program?

What about the ereader pdb file structure? anybody knows, if I have no choice I might as well write my own converter .....

Last edited by Dave Berk; 03-12-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Try to find PDBSHRED.EXE on Google. It's command line, but it works on one of the PDB formats - can't remember exactly which one. I've used it on several books.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Pet peeve:
On Palms, ALL files are Palm Databases. They denote such files on other systems as having a .pdb extension.

.pdb is NOT an eBook format. It is simply a file that is for your Palm to use.

eBooks that have a .pdb extension are not all the same. eReader, PalmDOC, iSilo, etc. will ALL have the .pdb extension (I think that iSilo uses the non-standard Palm Resource - .prc - extension, though).

eReader files have no decoder that I am aware of. The only Palm eBook format that can be reversed is PalmDOC, and (I believe) iSilo eBooks that aren't protected.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
airlik
Connoisseur

Oops, there's also ABC Amber Palm Converter - it handles a different format than PDBSHRED. Yes, there are a few formats for ebooks that are all PDB, and it doesn't help that one format changed it's name at one point... The Amber converter will tell you which format it is even if it can't decode it using that program. If it can't handle it, PDBSHRED likely can... but again, that caveat that pretty much nothing (that I've found anyway) can convert one of the formats - I think that's eReader as rlauzon says.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic

I remember reading somewhere in the forums here that the ereader uses PML markup language which is xml based. Is it true? Is there anywhere I can find the ereader format specifications? googled it but couldn't find a thing.

Quote:
The Amber converter will tell you which format it is even if it can't decode it using that program. If it can't handle it, PDBSHRED likely can...
I already knows it is in the ereader format, that's where I bought it

Anyway I will give PDBSHRED a try. Will keep you updated (if your'e interested).
Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
airlik
Connoisseur

PML is sort-of XML based. It then gets compiled into a binary format which you can't directly edit (unless you're into that kind of thing). PDBSHRED might be the program that just reverts it back to PML (sorry, I did this a few months ago now so it's not quite as fresh in my mind), which you can then use Word macros to get to something more readable. I wrote a basic one that handled the formatting tags that I wanted to handle based on the PML spec I found somewhere. When you've handled the ones that are important to you (like say italics and font stuff), you can just batch replace <*> with nothing and be done with it.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Here's a file with a breakdown of PML markups that I got from somewhere several years ago. Don't know if it'll help any, but there you go.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Peanut Markup Language.doc (60.0 KB, 1410 views)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Thanks everybody. This is really a great forum...
Old 03-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's the reason I hang around here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #12
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I've written an e-book that documents the Palm Markup Language. You can get it at the link below:

http://www.memoware.com/?screen=doc_...or_id^!19684~!
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote