Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i say keep them (almost) all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Here the list Amazon has to offer (obviously we'd have to cut it down somewhat):
why ? audio books seems superfluous here (and *maybe* comics / graphic novels, but there i'm not so sure), but other than that, all those categories seem valid and plausible for books we could have here (maybe not today, but someday, and for the rest of our lives... ) so it seems good to have a comprehensive list so that people can be as specific as possible, no ?

or is there a technical reason which would make this impractical ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and just a question to be sure i understand, the uploader chooses ONE category, however tags can be added (as many as you like) by the uploader or any mr member, to further refine the category ?

so, for instance, Anne Perry (if she were in the pd ) would be in Mystery category, but then we could add tags like "historical fiction" and such ?
Old 04-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #33
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
...or is there a technical reason which would make this impractical ?
Not directly, but you're right, my thought came from a technical point of view. For instance, once thread prefixes are in place, they will be visible in the advanced search form (so people can search within specific prefixes). Having too many thread prefixes (we will have more in other forum sections) means you'll have a longer list which will require more scrolling (and more html code). Nothing serious, but something to consider before we get started.

Quote:
and just a question to be sure i understand, the uploader chooses ONE category, however tags can be added (as many as you like) by the uploader or any mr member, to further refine the category ?
This is all correct. Specifically, the way we've it set right now, a thread can have up to 25 tags. The uploader can choose up to five tags himself (immediately when he creates the thread or at any point later). Members can then add their own tags, but only up to two tags per member.

Thread prefixes can only be added or changed by the thread creator (or the moderation team), and they are from a predefined set.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #34
zelda_pinwheel

ok, that sounds like a good system.

now i understand the reason for limiting the number of categories. it seems to me that the most general of the amazon list are these ones (all the others could somehow be grouped under one of these) :

* Biographies & Memoirs
* Children's and Young Adults books
* Comics & Graphic Novels
* Cooking, Food & Wine
* History
* Literature & Fiction
* Mystery & Thrillers
* Nonfiction
* Reference
* Romance
* Science Fiction & Fantasy

and probably this list could be further refined. I have left a few which might be considered superfluous for specific reasons :
* cooking is for Patricia because sometimes she uploads things like "the Book of Cheese" and i think that's hilarious. [EDIT : i think the title "the book of cheese" is hilarious, not Patricia !]
* Children's and Young Adults could be combined, but i think it is worth keeping because i have noticed we already have quite a good selection of children's / youth series (i beleive it is mostly HarryT who uploads these)
* i don't know how useful "comics & graphic novels" categorie would be right now but i say keep it just in case (just put it at the very end of the list !), you never know what we'll be able to do with our next generation...

this is just my opinion though and to be honest i usually have a hard time ascribing things to specific categories... hm, another argument for the shortest list possible !!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #35
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
We would have shorted the names somewhat, but other than that... I like it!

I am curious what other people think.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #36
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
As long as SF&F is in there, I'm good.

Though I always wonder about categories like "Literature and Fiction" and "Nonfiction". I know why they're there, but when you also have SF&F and History, it makes the categories seem somewhat non-exclusive.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #37
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader is now using tags to catalog ebooks. This allows the same book to appear multiple times under different categories. It automatically imports all <dc:Subject> metadata entries from OEB and MOBI ebooks and <genre> entries from FB2 ebooks. MobiPocket Desktop Reader can't handle multiple tags, but it does have a Genre sort option.

MobiPocket has a standard list of "Main Subject" options which is a drop-down list in the Publisher's edition of MobiPocket Creator, but is also on its All Categories page. These are what get displayed as the "Genre". One of these may already be embedded in some of the MOBI e-books available here for download. It would be best for all relevant MobileRead tags to be included as <dc:Subject> entries in MOBI e-books, and perhaps this could be automated.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #38
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
As long as SF&F is in there, I'm good.

Though I always wonder about categories like "Literature and Fiction" and "Nonfiction". I know why they're there, but when you also have SF&F and History, it makes the categories seem somewhat non-exclusive.
yes to be honest that's one of the reasons i often have trouble choosing one category, because there are often 2 (or more...) which could apply... i think in this case SF&F is a sufficiently distinct and established genre to not really cause any confusion when choosing between that or Fiction. however perhaps the real solution would be to add a qualifier like "litterature and general fiction", (or : everything that doesn't fit in any other categories... ) to make it more exclusive.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #39
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Way too many non-fiction and not nearly enough Fiction categories for my tastes. I see fiction as including Romance, Action, Detective/Mystery, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical Fiction at least.

Edit: a few more, childrens, Legends/Mythology

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #40
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably a category for Poetry makes sense.

Dale
Old 04-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #41
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

I think there should be a category for Religion if only to keep down arguments over whether it is fiction or non-fiction. Maybe is could be combined with Philosophy.

Dale
Old 04-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #42
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
To reduce the number of threads you could combine History with Biographies & Memoirs. Tags would then make more specific delineations. I think of them together in that sense--but maybe others don't.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #43
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think there should be a category for Religion if only to keep down arguments over whether it is fiction or non-fiction. Maybe is could be combined with Philosophy.

Dale
I don't think that Nietzsche would approve of that. Nor Richard Dawkins.

I'd also like to see a category for essays: we have some essay collections by, e.g. Hilaire Belloc. Letters might be a possibility too. We also might need a general reference section. I've uploaded all Oscar Wilde's plays, so plays or drama might be handy. And there's a case to be made for Classical (ancient Greek and Roman) literature, and for non-English language books.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #44
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
it seems to me that the most general of the amazon list are these ones
My suggestion, with the associated MOBI "Main Subjects" are:

* Biographies & History
Biographies; History; True Crime

* Juvenile Fiction and Graphic Novels
Juvenile Fiction; Cartoons

* Mystery & Thrillers & Action
Suspense & Thrillers; Mystery & Crime; Action & Adventure

* Romance
Romance

* Science Fiction & Fantasy
Science Fiction; Fantasy; Technological Fiction

* Short Subjects
Short Stories; Tales & Fables; Poetry; Music & Songs

* Literature & Fiction
Novels; General Fiction; Classics; Erotica; Humor; Humor Political; Historical Fiction; Horror; Religious Fiction; Performing Arts; Gay & Lesbian; Theatre

* Nonfiction, Technical
Computing, Internet; Science & Technical; Art; Law; Sociology; Education; Geography; Psychology; Gender Studies; Literary Criticism & Collections (?); Bioscience & Clinical Medicine; Economics; Language & Linguistics; Architecture & Design; Media & Communication; Technology; Nature; Mathematics; Philosophy

* Nonfiction, Home
Cooking; Pets; House & Home; Family; Personal Finance

* Nonfiction, General
Business, Finance; Quizzes; Spiritual & Religion; Self-Improvement; Health; Travel; Sports &; Outdoors; Current Events; Movies & TV Series; Asian Interest; Entertainment; Current Events; Politics

* Reference
Dictionaries; Encyclopedias; Medical Reference; Study Aids; Restaurant Guides
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #45
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
What is "juvenile fiction"? Shouln't you have "yong adult" also if you have juvenile fiction?

What is "technological fiction"? Is it techno thrillers for example? Then it should not be grouped together with sf and fantasy.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book genres, category, prefix, tag