Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Sorting Books in Collections on Reader

Hello all!

I'm loving my reader so far but I have a question. I have a bunch of collections on my reader so I can find by subject and whatnot. I use the Sony library and am happy with it. I don't want to use another program.

When my reader is connected to my PC and the Sony library I have my books sorted by title, however when I disconnect, the books on my reader in the various collections are no longer sorted alphabetically. Why and how do I change or fix that? I haven't figured out how it's sorting them but best guess is that it's going by the date I added them to the library.

Does anybody know? Thanks!!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Iʻm not sure how to change or fix them, but when they are in the various collection, they do sort by the date added to the library, with the first added books coming in first. If there is a way to change that, I hope someone posts it! In some collections, I have 7 or 8 pages of books, and I donʻt always want them ordered by the date added.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I have found that the ebooks appear in the collections on the reader in the order that you have added them to the specific collection using the Sony software.
This is especially useful when you have a whole series of ebooks by the same author and you can't remember which one is the next in the series to read.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Good find. I wondered how the software organises the files. Thanks
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm confused.

I always arrange and move the books around in my collections.

Example: Collection name.. "MR AUTHOR BOOKS 1"

When I add a book to that collection, it is added to the bottom of the list... the last page.

I want to read it now, so I want it on the first page, when I open the "MR AUTHOR BOOKS 1" collection on my Reader.

Before disconnecting my Reader, I open the collection in the Sony Library and move the book to the top of the list. I just grab and drop to the top of the list.

Now, when I disconnect the Reader, the book is on the first page at the top of the list.

I move my books around a lot, because I am always changing my mind about what I want to read for the next week or two.

Is this what you all were asking about?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have 133 books on my reader in 8 or so different collections. I just put them in the various collections when I get the book. On my desktop I sort it by title in the various collections. On my reader however, within any given collection it loses its alpha sort and orders the books by whenever I added them to the collection.

I'd like to have my books sorted on my reader alphabetically inside my various collections. It's not doing that. I don't really want to manually move them around everytime I add a book. Is there a way to have the books in my collections on my reader show up alphabetically?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Using the Sony Library, I just played around with adding books.

When adding a book to a collection, it goes to the bottom of the list. I can rearrange and it stays in place when the Reader is disconnected.

If I click the title bar, all the books (in all the collections) are alphabetized, but the numbers on the left of the title stay assigned to the order the books were before alphabetizing.

When the Reader is disconnected, the order goes back to match the numbered order.

So, I guess if you use the Sony Library collections, you need to manually order the books in each collection.

I only keep Sony books in the Sony Library. I keep a separate file system for all other books (I also backup Sony books to another file).

Maybe another member has a idea how to do it that we are missing?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Thanks for your help!

I did notice that the numbers column kept the number the book was assigned when I added it to the collection regardless of sort chosen but couldn't figure out how to renumber it if you will to any given sort choice. Or even how to remove the numbers so it can just alpha sort.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Hello Dreams and Shopaholic.

Just a word of caution about numbering.
Start with 01 and not with 1.
If you do not do this, when you add item ten you will get:

Instead you want

I hope this is useful
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Hi Beppe,

We're not numbering them. As soon as we add a book it numbers it on it's own. I haven't played with renumbering them. I don't know that I want to to be honest. Because as I add a new book that I want sorted alphabetically I'd have to renumber them again, if it's even something I can do. Thanks though.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I cannot be more specific as I have a Sony 600and not the 300.

Take care.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #12
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I wish I could just put my books into collections right on the reader. With that, I wouldn't use any software. Just drag and drop in a file browser.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

No Alpha Sort in Collections on Reader

I decided to call Sony support today and ask them. Apparently you can't do it. Bummer. I love my Sony reader but there are some weird things with it. It won't let you alpha sort within collections on the reader BUT it does alpha sort the collections themselves on the reader.

On the Library however, it doesn't alpha sort the collections. It keeps the order of the collections themselves by how you created them. Not the individual books, but the titles of the collections.

Weird!!

I got my answer. It wasn't what I wanted to hear but I got the answer anyways.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I wish I could just put my books into collections right on the reader. With that, I wouldn't use any software. Just drag and drop in a file browser.
I have never used the following but I think they both may do what you want.

Collection Builder
File Manager and Collection Creator for PRS505
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote