Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #16
TimK
TimK doesn't litterTimK doesn't litterTimK doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Bob, thank you for emphasizing that you have to install Sony e-Book Library. That turned out to be my problem. Once I'd done that, attached my PRS-700, and started Adobe Digital Editions, the Adobe software saw my device, asked me to authorize it, and let me transfer content onto it. I'm much happier now! There is a set of Swedish police procedurals I want to get on the device, but I can only find them in Mobipocket and DRM's PDF formats. I had bought one of them, and now I've been able to transfer it, so I'll go ahead and pay for the others.

PS Obviously, all this had to be done in Windows. I have two machines, so I used the Windows machine (where I normally run Linux, but that's a different story) to do all this.

Also, tarq, I hope you didn't find my reply above harsh. It wasn't meant that way. I appreciate your help as well (I read through a lot of threads in these forums before making my purchase, and have been helped by a lot of your posts).

Surfingtroll, when I installed the Sony software, it asked me what country I was in and what language I wanted to use. Have you tried just saying you're in the U.S.?

Best regards,
Tim
TimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #17
surfingtroll
surfingtroll began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700bc
Hi again guys ,
I have 2.3 installed on my computer but when I try to install 2.5 even saying I'm in the US it still says it is not available for this region , unfourtunatly Pilot Bob I cannot find a UK version of 2.5
surfingtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #18
surfingtroll
surfingtroll began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700bc
Hey Pilot Bob after reading your note about having 2.2 installed I uninstalled it on my lap top and 2.5 then installed fine and now adobe sees the reader !!! Thanks so much for all your help guys I'm off to get some books and thanks again Pilot Bob
surfingtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingtroll View Post
Hey Pilot Bob after reading your note about having 2.2 installed I uninstalled it on my lap top and 2.5 then installed fine and now adobe sees the reader !!! Thanks so much for all your help guys I'm off to get some books and thanks again Pilot Bob
Glad to help.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #20
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I've uninstalled and reinstalled both sony and adobe. I have sony 2.5 and adobe still doesn't see my reader. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I must be missing something, but what?
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I've uninstalled and reinstalled both sony and adobe. I have sony 2.5 and adobe still doesn't see my reader. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I must be missing something, but what?
Try to reboot your reader using the pin hole in the back, press it is a paper clip. Then slide the on/off/standy switch and the reader will restart. Sometimes that resolves this issue.

BOb
Old 07-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #22
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is crazy. I tried resetting it, then when I plugged it in when windows prompted me to take action I said "Open Folders." I opened the folders within the reader, clicked on a pdf file and chose "Open with..." then chose Adobe Digital Editions. I can read book that are stored on my reader through ADE but it still doesn't ask me to authorize it nor does it acknowledge that it's connected. This doesn't make any sense.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #23
TimK

Hi y'all,

A couple of points.

The "official" way to reset the PRS-700 (it's in the manual ) is to unscrew the pointy end of the included stylus and use the tip that's hidden by the pointy end to press the Reset button on the back. Handy to know if you need to reset it and don't have a paper clip at hand.

SolRaven, when Windows asks you what you want to do with the PRS-700 after you connect it, use the "Cancel" button or the big red "X" to close that window. Don't use Windows to take any action. Then open Adobe Digital Editions and see if it will detect the reader and ask you to authorize it. I don't know, but it may be that if you use Windows to open the reader, Windows "takes it over" and ADE won't see it. Worth a try, anyway.

Best regards,
Tim
Old 07-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #24
SolRaven
Wizard

Thanks Tim, that was the first time I allowed Windows to take action. Until that try, I've always X'ed it out just out of habit. I was hoping that it would somehow make it see my reader since it was opening something in the reader's memory, but no such luck. BTW, good tip on the stylus. Ironically, I used the tip of the stylus to reset it since it fits in the hole and I wondered if that long skinny tip was intentional.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
This is crazy. I tried resetting it, then when I plugged it in when windows prompted me to take action I said "Open Folders." I opened the folders within the reader, clicked on a pdf file and chose "Open with..." then chose Adobe Digital Editions. I can read book that are stored on my reader through ADE but it still doesn't ask me to authorize it nor does it acknowledge that it's connected. This doesn't make any sense.
OK, heres a stupid question...

What version is the firmware on your Sony? It is up to date with the newest version?

BOb
Old 07-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #26
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK, heres a stupid question...

What version is the firmware on your Sony? It is up to date with the newest version?

BOb
There are no stupid questions Bob. LOL... My 505 has the latest firmware (1.1.01.25200) and as far as I know the 700 never had any updates since they were sold after Sony partnered with Adobe. The 700's firmware is 1.0.01.12050.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #27
TimK

SolRaven, now I'm frustrated that you can't enjoy your reader like I'm enjoying mine.

Per the Adobe help information for the Sony Readers, are you hooking up the reader and THEN opening Adobe Digital Editions? It sounds like you are, but I just want to check.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #28
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimK View Post
SolRaven, now I'm frustrated that you can't enjoy your reader like I'm enjoying mine.

Per the Adobe help information for the Sony Readers, are you hooking up the reader and THEN opening Adobe Digital Editions? It sounds like you are, but I just want to check.
::::sigh::: I am. I've tried having the eBook Library open, closed, hooking up the reader before, after... I just don't get it. I have 2 books that I "borrowed" from the library and they're slowly expiring.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #29
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do you have another computer from which you can try it on? But becareful how many times you install/reinstall ADE since I believe there is a finite number of machines you can have authorized to it.

Not sure if there is a way to deauthorize and reclaim the number of authorizations allowed before you reinstall it, like you can with the Sony software.

Last edited by MerLock; 07-23-2009 at 01:03 AM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #30
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Do you have another computer from which you can try it on? But becareful how many times you install/reinstall ADE since I believe there is a finite number of machines you can have authorized to it.

Not sure if there is a way to deauthorize and reclaim the number of authorizations allowed before you reinstall it, like you can with the Sony software.
Hmmm... good suggestion. I'll try that. Each time I uninstalled ADE and reinstalled it I never had to reauthorize my pc; it recognized it as being authorized already.