Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #316
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Some good points. But, the fact that I am not interested in Harry Potter has been returned with sneers from several people that I know. If one likes it fine. Currently :

The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks, Quiet(A book about introverts), Life of Pi (apparently famous and a film, but never heard of it in this icy corner of Asia), Just finished God is not Great, my last five:

1. Decisions for War, 1914–1917 Richard F. Hamilton, Holger H. Herwig. 284 pages. (4 stars)

2. Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney 256 pages. (2.5 stars)

3. The inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. 384 pages. (3 stars)
Booker prize and all but a bit too convoluted at times.

4. How an Economy Grows and why it crashes by Peter D. Shiff and Andrew J. Shiff. 258 pages. (3 Stars). Some interesting Points even though I disagree with some of their views.

5. Solaris by Stanislaw Lem 224 pages. (4.5 stars). best book that I have read thus far.

Hope to speed up in the next two months have a lot of free time. Happy Reading Everyone.

P.S. I live Brain Candy too. Love slapstick and brainless films at times... Jackie Chan, Top Secret, bad B-movies. But Some Jurrasic no thanks....
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #317
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Some good points. But, the fact that I am not interested in Harry Potter has been returned with sneers from several people that I know. If one likes it fine. Currently :

The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks, Quiet(A book about introverts), Life of Pi (apparently famous and a film, but never heard of it in this icy corner of Asia), Just finished God is not Great, my last five:

1. Decisions for War, 1914–1917 Richard F. Hamilton, Holger H. Herwig. 284 pages. (4 stars)

2. Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney 256 pages. (2.5 stars)

3. The inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. 384 pages. (3 stars)
Booker prize and all but a bit too convoluted at times.

4. How an Economy Grows and why it crashes by Peter D. Shiff and Andrew J. Shiff. 258 pages. (3 Stars). Some interesting Points even though I disagree with some of their views.

5. Solaris by Stanislaw Lem 224 pages. (4.5 stars). best book that I have read thus far.

Hope to speed up in the next two months have a lot of free time. Happy Reading Everyone.

P.S. I live Brain Candy too. Love slapstick and brainless films at times... Jackie Chan, Top Secret, bad B-movies. But Some Jurrasic no thanks....
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #318
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Cheers mates..will try both Lem's to add to my 100 book Cliff I am attempting to climb.... this year....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #319
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Does location play a part in reading snobbery?

My answer is 'Yes,' at least in my experience.

Perhaps your experience verifies this, as well? Or perhaps not for you?

Don
I lived for many years in the Tokyo area. Nearly everyone there commutes by public transport, and until the advent of mobile phones, nearly everyone read on the train. Newspapers, the racing form, tabloids, paperbacks, English books, textbooks, magazines, manga, even dictionaries. Your fellow straphangers would shove their reading choices in your face. Literally. Japanese commuter trains are too crowded for snobbery.

When i was there, Japan didn't have so much of the cultural Narodism one finds in the US (and which underlies the reverse snobbism i brough up upthread). On the other hand, since a book was to some degree just a book, there was also less to be gained from posing with Finnegan's wake at the local kissaten (cafe).

I've also lived in Montreal, where there's a sharper sense of class, cultural & linguistic divisions. I did have a sense that reading or one's choice in reading material might be read as a marker of one divide or another. It may have, but that sort of interpretation of my choice in reading was never brought to my attention.

The upstate NY town where i lived for a few years was an academic fishbowl. People noticed everything. "I saw X reading Y at Z yesterday. Pah! Such trash!"
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #320
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Some of that stuff sounds aimed at the female market. I read some J.D.Robb and Nalini Singh. I thought they both had a lot of merit, but I don't generally much enjoy detective stories (J.D.Robb, though she's clearly a gifted writer), and Nalini Singh was very well constructed, but it ultimately it didn't push my buttons. Perhaps because I am male.

I like YA stuff a lot though, when it's well written.
As a female i do tend to go for stuff aimed at the female market

but will try anything, for instance loved the Harry Potter series and was looking forward to reading her 'adult' novel and hated it and gave up
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #321
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I don't like slapstick Lem at all, I won't read Cyberiad.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #322
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I don't like slapstick Lem at all, I won't read Cyberiad.
Different people, different tastes...<shrug>
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #323
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I enjoy Lem's Ijon Tichy stories. Fast and fun read.

Must go and get them now.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #324
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
What we have been talking about a lot here is genre snobs.

But what about intellectual snobs?

In UK there is a sort of intellectual snobbery related to class (always a key issue in UK), whereby the height of an imaginary reader's forehead is invoked.

High brow, middle brow, airport novels.

This is a form of class coding, I think. Highbrow books are read by public school old boys (and girls), university professors, and judges of literary prizes.

Middle brow books are read by lower-and middle-middle class people who "think they are reading Literature."

The rest read airport novels. Presumably they don't have brows.

A version of this runs in Australia. Half a century ago the leading lights of "literature" in Australia, or at least Victoria, were Vance Palmer and his missus. Vance Palmer won this literary prize and that literary prize, was toasted in the media... Way down the bottom of the totem pole was Arthur Upfield who wrote detective stories.

Today Upfield is still in print, still enjoyed. Upfield earned a living as a writer. The Palmers didn't; they were well heeled. The Palmers are forgotten, but Upfield lives on, triumphant.

(Upfield had fun satirising this setup in one of his Bony detective novels; the Palmers appeared, thinly disguised, and he himself appeared, also thinly disguised. The book was called "An Author Bites the Dust."
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #325
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
A picture just came across my FB feed this morning - I can't figure out how to include a picture here without a url for the picture.

The cartoon showed three seriousl looking people in black, labeled "Proper Literature" going "tut tut tut. On a hill near them is a Buck Rogers-y character labeled Science Fiction, saying "you're just jealous of my jet pack."

Oh, yeah.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #326
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
A picture just came across my FB feed this morning - I can't figure out how to include a picture here without a url for the picture.

The cartoon showed three seriousl looking people in black, labeled "Proper Literature" going "tut tut tut. On a hill near them is a Buck Rogers-y character labeled Science Fiction, saying "you're just jealous of my jet pack."

Oh, yeah.
This?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #327
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes! How do you get the picture in there?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #328
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes! How do you get the picture in there?
Found the image online and used the images URL to link to the image using [img] tags.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #329
BeccaPrice
Wizard

hm. I have pictures of a cover my daughter made for my PW that I'd like to post, but can't figure out how people upload pictures that aren't on the web.

Oh, well - back to the main topic of conversation. Sorry for the tangent.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #330
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
hm. I have pictures of a cover my daughter made for my PW that I'd like to post, but can't figure out how people upload pictures that aren't on the web.

Oh, well - back to the main topic of conversation. Sorry for the tangent.
Upload the photo someplace online like Photobucket. That or use the manage attachments button (under additional options) when you post and add it to you post that way.