Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #496
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
For Pete's sake, you people don't really talk that way over there, do you?
Do people really talk that way in New Jersey?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #497
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
darksaber, did you get yours delivered to Hong Kong or are you in the UK?

Apparently not due here until August

(ApK, you obviously haven't heard us Cockney's speak and I don't mean Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins lol)
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #498
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
darksaber, did you get yours delivered to Hong Kong or are you in the UK?

Apparently not due here until August

(ApK, you obviously haven't heard us Cockney's speak and I don't mean Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins lol)
I have visited London many times mate and lived there for about 3 months up in the nice area of Chingford (near Walthamstow )

August ! i thought it was july 19th try ordering yours from EBUYER.COM if you can that's where i got mine
I says on there web page that they will have 500 for pre-order i only ordered mine a week before it arrived so was very surprised it came so fast on the 13th.

http://www.ebuyer.com/388913-asus-ne...1100550u?hpb=4

Ebuyers website now says this -We are expecting this item on:
3 Aug 2012
When i ordered mine it said expecting delivery in july something but cant remember the exact date.

yes im in sunny England rite now but im going to hong kong in September hopefully to get married.

I guess you did not read my thread about getting it early
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184704

Im uploading another gaming video to YOUTUBE,this time with THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN HD. Video quality of the films are poor as my camera cant shoot the IPS screen properly but it gives you idea how good it is for gaming and shows how much raw power it has.

THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmhKQ...ature=youtu.be

[U]
GRAND THEFT AUTO 3
http://youtu.be/kUOAoILvEQg

MAX PAYNE 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hSAnwI8N_U

SONIC 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7i6mPe3C_E

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-17-2012 at 06:07 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #499
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did see that hence the Post, as ebuyer do not ship to HK - I've tried to get a Harmony remote from them before so was just checking.

I'll pop up to Shenzhen or Guangzhou and see if they are getting it sooner

Thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #500
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
I did see that hence the Post, as ebuyer do not ship to HK - I've tried to get a Harmony remote from them before so was just checking.

I'll pop up to Shenzhen or Guangzhou and see if they are getting it sooner

Thanks
Oh nice,i lived in hong kong 3 years on and off ,casueway bay ,jordan , Wan chia and north point.Hong kong seems a bit slow for stocking portable devices expect mobile phones.
Ebook readers dont seem to be popular there unless they hide them away and don't use them on the MTR.

Have you tried - The Golden Shopping Centre in Sham Shui Po ,its a bit of a bitch finding anything there with over 100+ PC & games console stores all under one roof.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sham_Shui_Po

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-17-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #501
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!

darksaber, yes am a geek so have a regular trip up to Sham Shui Po, also Mong Kok and Wan Chai Computer Centres. Am in Taipei in August so will see if they are doing it there, or the Samsung in Seoul at the end of July
Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #502
darksaber35
Banned

Nice ,if you dont mind buying used and want a real bargain you could always look around mong kok near kwong wah street near the hospital.

There's some used goods electric stores and i have bought used cameras for half price that where only released about a month before.
I got 2 canon camera there amazing prices,the stores i know also had laptops,media players and tablets.

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-17-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #503
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Preorder is available on Walmart website with shipment date of July 25th.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #504
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Preorder is available on Walmart website with shipment date of July 25th.
You get more value by ordering directly from Google, because they offer a $25 credit in the Play store. You also have the option to get the 8GB version; with Walmart, you don't.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #505
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You get more value by ordering directly from Google, because they offer a $25 credit in the Play store. You also have the option to get the 8GB version; with Walmart, you don't.
supposedly you still get the 25 bucks when you buy in store, though I don't see the stores mentioning it in their listings
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #506
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
supposedly you still get the 25 bucks when you buy in store, though I don't see the stores mentioning it in their listings
That's what I heard; but, if it's not mentioned, why take chances?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #507
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Nice ,if you dont mind buying used and want a real bargain you could always look around mong kok near kwong wah street near the hospital.
I like bargains. Is Mong Kok the subway station to get off? How far is Kwong Wah Street from the station? Thanks.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #508
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I don't know if it is just me, but these days it does seem hard to find real bargains in HK. Especially new items seem more expensive than in Taiwan or the US. Ever since the mainland tourists descended in great numbers prices have gone nowhere but up.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #509
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post

TFT screens are yesterdays news and the IPS screen's clearly have a advantage over them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Onda-Vi4...2455768&sr=8-1

Techrader.com - Galaxy Tab 2
"The 7-inch screen is a 1024 x 600 TFT affair, which shuns any AMOLED love that once threatened the Galaxy Tab lineup. The panel itself is lacklustre, lifeless and dull, which won't impress movie lovers one bit."

Galaxy Tab 2
For
Handy size
Great price
Decent performance
Classy look

Against
Dull screen - Sounds like some english women
Unresponsive to the touch
TouchWiz is bland
Fiddly browser

NEXUS 7
For
Quality hardware
NFC support
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
Bundled Google Play freebies

Against
Weak IPS display contrast
Limited storage options
Too few Android tablet apps -This goes for all android tablets.
Some content hard to read (magazines) -This goes for all 7 inch devices.
A few notes, just for the record, in case anyone else is still shopping, like me.

Re the IPS screen, the review you're citing also said:
Quote:
"Our biggest lament (about the Google Nexus) is the muted contrast of the otherwise quite stellar IPS display; while it's not a total deal breaker, we're holding out hope that Google might push out a software update to bring the gamma levels in line with competing hardware, assuming it's not simply a glitch with our review unit.

I've read similar comments elsewhere. Meanwhile, as I was reading reviews, I came across reviews for the Samsung that said Samsung's own implementation of display technology does a very good job looking as good or better than many ICS screens.

Note that that Samsung review was from back in May. Some things have been updated/fixed by Samsung since then or are also inherent to the Android OS:
(My notes in red
. )

Against
Dull screen - Sounds like some english women <- Possibly fixed*, judging by mine and the reviews I read.(The display - not the women. )
Unresponsive to the touch <- Much better after an update. Mine is perfectly responsive.
TouchWiz is bland <- I like it! LOL But users can easily download other launchers - no rooting needed.
Fiddly browser <- It's the stock ICS Browser, so as you say,

*Colors, etc. It will still be a lower (1024 x 600) resolution and DPI, but I *think* I agree with those who prefer that on 7", as things get too tiny otherwise.

Anyway, I just got my Samsung a few days ago, but I can still return it and get the 16GB Google Nexus for the same price, so I'm open minded. I just haven't seen enough to make me confident that the loss of storage or USB-OTG I get with this wouldn't be more seriously missed.

If I finish evaluating my space needs and find that 16gb would be enough (no way would 8GB) there are at least two other hurdles I need to cross:

1. It's a risk to buy something so new.

2. Since it won't do flash, we wouldn't be able to watch our Amazon Prime Videos.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #510
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
I like bargains. Is Mong Kok the subway station to get off? How far is Kwong Wah Street from the station? Thanks.
yes mong kok MTR station is the rite one.the shops that i have visited where before kwong wah street so if you see a street with lots of shops with AIRSOFT GUNS in the window and model shops in it then u have gone a bit to far.

Its a ten minute walk from the MTR (exit A2),i will try and find a map and if i do will update this post.The stores where near the ladies market.

You follow the map i put up then goto the kwong wah hospital and you will see a street junction with pedestrian crossings.The entrance to the building has a small escalator as shown in the 3 photo. go up that and you will find gaming stores and some used electrical good stores -at least 2.

The street names FA YAUN STREET which intersects Dundass street that you walk up to get there-dont go there until after 5pm as they open up late there and try to avoid going on sunday as the crowds are TERROR-ABLE .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	large.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	89355   Click image for larger version

Name:	kwong 2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	89356   Click image for larger version

Name:	kwong 3.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	89357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 393.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	89359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wan_Chai.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	89360   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7906.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	89375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7918.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	89376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7987.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	470.0 KB
ID:	89377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8496.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	89378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8013.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	563.6 KB
ID:	89379  

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-19-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet