Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
dawn69
dawn69 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
kobo touch screen not working

My touch screen on my kobo touch has stopped working. I have tried a basic reset, nothing. Have looked at kobo help site, cant do a factory reset as you need to use the touch screen...not helpful... anybody got any ideas?
dawn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn69 View Post
My touch screen on my kobo touch has stopped working. I have tried a basic reset, nothing. Have looked at kobo help site, cant do a factory reset as you need to use the touch screen...not helpful... anybody got any ideas?
You don't actually need the screen active to do a factory reset:

1- hold the power switch ON for 10-15 seconds to make sure the device is off
2- press and hold the home button
3- turn on the Kobo and it should boot into a factory reset

The other thing to check is that it's charged in case that's why it's not responding.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
dawn69

thanks robko...i just found the saame advice from you on another thread...tried it...factory reset accomplished, but touchscreen still doesn't work. It finished charging about 30 mins before i turned it off last night. I turned it on again today and its completely unresponsive. Not fair...I was enjoying that book. Unfortunately cant read on my laptop (although my books are there) because it gives me a migraine
Old 04-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
dawn69

I think its proper buggered
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You probably will have to open a help ticket with Kobo. Unless the UK process is different, write to help@kobobooks.com. At some point they will need 10 or so things/points of information. You may find it easier to just answer them in your initial email.

The questions they seem to want answered (beyond a complete description of the problem and the steps you have already taken to try to fix it) are:

1. What model of Kobo eReader do you own? (Kobo Original, Kobo WiFi, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox)

2. What colour is your Kobo eReader? (On the Kobo Original, Kobo WiFi, and Kobo Touch please look at quilted back. On the Kobo Vox, please look at the sides.)

3. If the color your purchased is not available for replacement, are you willing to accept a different color?

4. What is your full name?

5. What is your mailing address? Please include the street, city, state, country and zip code. (Due to signature requirements, PO Boxes are not accepted)

6. What is your contact telephone number?

7. What is your Kobo account email address?

8. Where and when did you purchase your Kobo eReader? (Please attach a scanned copy of your proof of purchase)

9. Did you also purchase an extended protection plan from Kobo?

10. Have you provided a picture of the device already? (Please attach a picture of both the front and back of your device)

Note that they will want a scanned copy of the receipt that has the date etc. When I was in the process, they wanted the pictures even though mine was not a problem that showed up in a picture. I would copy in the questions, numbers and all. It might just save you some time and back and forth emails.

In the past, folks have reported that they had a whole series of emails and that information needed was scattered throughout them. Someone new would pick up the file, and it ws like starting over from the beginning.

I believe that providing the most complete information you can, from the beginning, will expedite the process. I opened a ticket on Sunday, it went to Tier 2 on Monday, and the same day, they provided me with the information to return the device for examination/exchange.

Did I get special handling? Maybe, after all I have been around for a long time and I am known to Kobo staff. However, even if that is all true, they still needed all the information in the 10 questions above before they could make the determination to have me send the device for replacement consideration.

Last edited by taming; 04-24-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
dawn69

Thanks taming...yes I got that email from from kobo...i replied and they want me to send my kobo to the netherlands....its gonna cost a bloody fortune..£32 (50 CAD) ...unbelievable. gonna try and get a replacement from my retailer first.
I've seen lots of complaints about kobo customer service, but I have to say they've been very quick. 1 freephone call from me, email with 10 questions within 10 mins, i replied within 10 mins, email asking me to send it to the netherlands later the same day. no complaints here

Last edited by dawn69; 04-26-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
how long have you had your kobo ?

I see you are in the uk so if it's under a year old the shop should replace it for you (check the sale of goods act)

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/shops-responsibility/

Last edited by paulsalter; 04-26-2012 at 08:26 AM.
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
dawn69

3 months...so, yeah WHSmiths should replace it for me...gonna take it back as soon as it stops raining...bloody weather...lol
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn69 View Post
Thanks taming...yes I got that email from from kobo...i replied and they want me to send my kobo to the netherlands....its gonna cost a bloody fortune..£32 (50 CAD) ...unbelievable. gonna try and get a replacement from my retailer first.
I've seen lots of complaints about kobo customer service, but I have to say they've been very quick. 1 freephone call from me, email with 10 questions within 10 mins, i replied within 10 mins, email asking me to send it to the netherlands later the same day. no complaints here
I'm guessing that it makes a whole lot of sense for folks who have to send their devices a long way away to buy the amped up insurance, if it is available outside of the US and Canada. I don't think it was an option when I bought my Touch last June.

Glad it worked out well for you. Chapters stores in Canada (at least some of them) routinely accepted devices within a year, even though they did not have to more than 30 days out. Now, following the sale of Kobo, my Chapters store doesn't do that, and I no longer shop at Chapters.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
dawn69

WARNING ALL UK USERS WHO BOUGHT THEIR KOBO FROM WHSMITHS. They will NOT replace your kobo after 30 days.They say that some small electronic items are excluded from your statutory rights (including kobo ereaders)
THIS IS B******S.
Nothing is excluded...your statutory rights overrule any and all other rights that the store decides to give and any clauses they add that try to remove them.
I was told to go away and re-check my rights as I obviously didn't know what i was talking about...The cheek of it.
I am afraid I lost my temper and called the manager a rude name...but who the hell does he think he is.
I will be going back soon with a printout of my statutory rights under the 'sale of goods' act 1979 and the extra protection your get from an EU amendment relating to durability of the goods purchased.
I am soooooo p***ed off with WHSmiths right now.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Take a look at what Which! has to say... http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...t/your-rights/

I see this

Quote:
What you need to do to prove your claim
If your claim under the Sale of Goods Act ends up in court, you may have to prove that the fault was present when you bought the item and not, for example, something that was the result of normal wear and tear.

Six months...and counting

If your claim is about a problem that arises within six months of buying the product, it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, or 'as described' when it sold them e.g. by showing that the problem was caused by an external factor such as accidental damage. Beyond six months, it's up to you to prove that the problem was there when you received the goods even if it has taken until now to come to light.

So you may need to prove that the fault was not down to ordinary wear and tear or damage you caused, and that the product (or a component) should have lasted longer than it did. To do this you may need an expert's report, for example from an engineer or mechanic.
Also take a look at what the CAB have to say http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...eplacement.htm

(I include CAB as my sister has worked for them for many, many years; prior to that, she worked for Which!)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
mshappy89
mshappy89 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
En

I had the very same problem When trying to return to WH smiths

Call head office they will ask you to send t back there and will replace It
mshappy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
dawn69

thanks. i just fired off an email to their HO, complaining about their appalling customer service and asking them to resolve my issue....just gotta wait and see what they say...
Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
dawn69

Finally...WHSmith are giving me a refund for my FAULTY kobo touch.....I only asked for a refund so's I can go elsewhere and get a replacement for £20 less...cheeky I know, but if they'd offered me a replacement immediately....lmao...thanks to all for advice...xoxoxox
Old 09-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
KTREADER
Updating
KTREADER began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Talking Kobo Locked up on Boot Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
You don't actually need the screen active to do a factory reset:

1- hold the power switch ON for 10-15 seconds to make sure the device is off
2- press and hold the home button
3- turn on the Kobo and it should boot into a factory reset

The other thing to check is that it's charged in case that's why it's not responding.
------------------------------
Thanks to Robko and his description of a factory reset I managed to get my Kobo Touch to factory reset and boot again.
I tried the tiny hole at the back and that didn't work.

Many Thanks Robko
KTREADER is offline   Reply With Quote