Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
eythian
Edge User

Question Upgrading k9 mail?

I see that the email client in ermine is a rebadged K9-mail. However it's an old version, and I'd like to upgrade it. I can't remove the included version, and as the signature has changed I can't upgrade.

Is there a way of upgrading it? The only option I can see is to manually rebuild K9-mail and change its classname (or whatever it is that identifies an application to Android)

Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

I switched to MailDroid a long time ago. As far as I've seen, there's nothing special about the K9-mail app (i.e., no customizations by enTourage so that it somehow works better with other enTourage apps like the Library, Journal or Calendar).

Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Dr. T
Edge User

Are there any benefits from using MailDroid?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
borisb
Edge User

At the time last fall, one of the main things was that it provided audible and Notification bar notifications, something K9 didn't. It looked a bit more sophisticated, too. Ultimately it's just another email app, with things like auto account set up (which K9 I think has now?).

EDIT: Actually, one nice feature is the notification profiles. For example, you can set it up to be silent overnight so it doesn't wake you up in the middle of the night when an email arrives.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Dr. T
Edge User

Nice! Thanks for the information!

Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
gecko
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Actually, one nice feature is the notification profiles. For example, you can set it up to be silent overnight so it doesn't wake you up in the middle of the night when an email arrives.
The most recent K9 also has that. Plus, of course, the un-rebadged K9 also has a dog icon, which is an advantage.

At a minimum, it would be nice to get rid of the dingo-era e-mail, now that there's a Froyo e-mail.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
eythian
Edge User

I guess then that I should attempt to rebuild k9-mail so that it can be installed alongside the current one.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
larka2006
Edge User

Boris, I just installed MailDroid and was able to add my corporate email through MS Exchange, my other IMAP custom client (Server uses SmarterMail), and Gmail account. It is the first time I was able to setup all 3 in one mail client (mobile or otherwise) which actually work! I am really impressed! However, the app is not stable, it refreshes after each mass mail delete into black screen for a moment, then returs to homepage with 3 accounts or sometimes exits to Edge Home... Is this typical behaviour? I am on standard updated Dingo (cannot upgrade to ermine, as my device is not de-registered yet). I have only used it for 2-3 days, but really this is something! Any benefits of going to Ermine once I can do it?

Old 04-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

The crashing may be due to the beta MS Exchange support, as mine never crashes and I don't use MS Exchange. Be sure you have the latest version (if you install the SlideMe app or AndAppStore app, you'll receive update notifications). The author releases updates 1-3 times per month.

Regarding Ermine benefits, read the Ermine forum

Old 04-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
larka2006
Edge User

Thank you, Boris! I will de-install exchange and see if it resolves. But I re-call it started even when I had just IMAP account there... As they have ads in free version may be because of refreshing rate of those?.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
borisb
Edge User

I have the ads in the free version, too, and my MailDroid always worked fine under Dingo and now under Ermine. Make sure you have the latest version - my MailDroid is 1.86 (Menu - More - About - Release Notes).

Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
larka2006
Edge User

My version is 1.92. I did clear cash from Setting/App manager, seems to help, but from work site the wi-fi keeps dropping and I have to re-sign from browser (this is our site poicy, not Edge fault) so will play more with web apps on Edge at home. Thank you for your quick replies!

Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
borisb
Edge User

lol, looks like I'm the one that needs to get up to date!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #14
goodspeech
Edge User

I downloaded Maildroid and attempted to save files to ES explorer. Do I have to pair the two? it didn't recognize it and wanted me to download it.

Also, is it advisable to delete the froyo mail client as well as the original K9 client or are this needed to layer other apps?

Last edited by goodspeech; 04-25-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #15
borisb
Edge User

"Pairing" is not required. In Android, installed apps declare what they can do (email stuff, view pictures, select files, etc.) and when an app needs a service it asks Android for a list of apps that have declared their ability to do so. So, when MailDroid wants to save a file, it gets a list of candidate apps from Android, and, in my case it only shows OI File Manager and nothing else.

So, go to SlideMe.org and find and install the OI File Manager app and you should be good to go.

As for other mail clients, you can't actually delete/uninstall them as they're part of the firmware. You can remove the standard mail client from the bottom of the LCD screen by dragging it to the Garbage can icon that appears when you press and hold it, and then you can drag MailDroid into the empty slot (which I, too, have done).