Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
WWDC 2016 announcements

I'm rather underwhelmed, particularly for iOS 10 'new features':

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios10-preview/

I don't use Messages, Maps, Photos, or Apple Music for example.

I hope the rumored 'dark' theme pans out though. And nice that one will be able to remove (some? all?) Apple apps that are pre-installed.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I use messages a lot, but as for the fancy crap they have shoved into it... GAHHHHHHH! I dont use maps, I use Sygic or Here. I dont use Apple Music. I've reverted to iPhoto for some things but prefer to use the ON1 suite.

Dark mode for AppleTV is good. I was used to it as the norm on the 2 and 3. REmoval of default apps is a huge plus for me, as long as in doing that, we are able to define our preferred defaults.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm interested in what the Siri changes might do for accessibility.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't care.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm rather underwhelmed, particularly for iOS 10 'new features':

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios10-preview/

I don't use Messages, Maps, Photos, or Apple Music for example.

I hope the rumored 'dark' theme pans out though. And nice that one will be able to remove (some? all?) Apple apps that are pre-installed.
For me the big thing was making Siri available to 3rd party apps. Rumor is that Audible is already got a version Siri ready.

I keep hoping beyond hope that audiobooks will be rationalized, i.e. it's in iBooks on both the mac and the iOS and that it will support playlist. Really it's almost there, all they need to do is when one book finishes, just move on to the next book in the collection.

There are actually some fairly interesting things on the Mac OS side.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
We're probably getting an iBooks refresh by the end of the betas. Right now it's just the iOS 9 app. It'll probably follow the same design language as the new Music app. With the recent changes in iTunes it sounds like we're getting the option for playlists since they added back the ability to customize the list.

On the podcasts people haven't been enthusiastic about any of the new iOS stuff either other than Siri being opened to third-parties, the detection of spam calls, and the evolution of copy and paste. The new iMessage stuff isn't for any of us, but it's all just a set of buttons that are ignorable.

Audible was already optimized for commands in Windows Phone, so it doesn't surprise me that they're ready out the door. The Alexa integration has probably helped them greatly too.

The macOS stuff is interesting, it's funny that they're bringing the cluttered desktop into the mobile era and now you can sync all that mess across all your Macs. Tabs everywhere will be great.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Multilingual typing, yay!!!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
We're probably getting an iBooks refresh by the end of the betas. Right now it's just the iOS 9 app. It'll probably follow the same design language as the new Music app. With the recent changes in iTunes it sounds like we're getting the option for playlists since they added back the ability to customize the list.

On the podcasts people haven't been enthusiastic about any of the new iOS stuff either other than Siri being opened to third-parties, the detection of spam calls, and the evolution of copy and paste. The new iMessage stuff isn't for any of us, but it's all just a set of buttons that are ignorable.

Audible was already optimized for commands in Windows Phone, so it doesn't surprise me that they're ready out the door. The Alexa integration has probably helped them greatly too.

The macOS stuff is interesting, it's funny that they're bringing the cluttered desktop into the mobile era and now you can sync all that mess across all your Macs. Tabs everywhere will be great.
The gold master is out for both the mac and iOS. No indications that they are rationalizing Audio books, i.e. it's still in iTunes on the Mac and iBook on iOS and there is no indications that iBook will support play next audiobook in iOS.

Ah well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote