Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
toastayy
Nameless Being

Nook Color and Ebay

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the forum, started browsing when I was researching information on the Nook and ultimately decided to go ahead and purchase the Nook color in a couple of days.

However I have 2 questions I've been wondering about:

1. Is the nook screen that bad in sunlight that I will need an anti-glare screen protector or is it okay to not get one?

2. Let's say I buy the Nook Color from a seller on ebay, and I found out a couple weeks later that that the software is defective in some way. Can I return it to Barnes and Nobles to get a new one? Or do I return it to the seller?
And if I do purchase one from ebay is the warranty still valid under B&N? What is the consensus about buying Nooks on ebay anyway?

thanks for the help.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
I can't help you with the screen glare issue, but folks that wanted to use it in the sunlight seem to recommend the anti-glare protector without hesitating.

If you're here in the states, I would really advise you to check Walmart or Best Buy as they have a no hassle return policy. I'd also ask them at the same time if there is any restocking fee on this device in the event you wanted to return it after some use.

Again, not sure where you are on the planet, but there are quite a few locations where this device can be bought, and I wouldn't personally turn to Ebay for this particular purchase unless I absolutely had to.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
toastayy
Nameless Being

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I can't help you with the screen glare issue, but folks that wanted to use it in the sunlight seem to recommend the anti-glare protector without hesitating.

If you're here in the states, I would really advise you to check Walmart or Best Buy as they have a no hassle return policy. I'd also ask them at the same time if there is any restocking fee on this device in the event you wanted to return it after some use.

Again, not sure where you are on the planet, but there are quite a few locations where this device can be bought, and I wouldn't personally turn to Ebay for this particular purchase unless I absolutely had to.
Ahh thanks for your speedy response. I am in the states NY to be exact and I wasn't aware wal-mart sold them. The only reason I was leaning towards ebay was because I have a couple bucks in my paypal account and instead of waiting 4-5 days for it to transfer to my bank account I can just use it on ebay and get it in time for a trip I'll be going on.

I guess i'll definitely check out wal-mart tho, thanks a lot.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Yeah, I see Walmart has a bunch in stock near me right now, and one out of about five Best Buys have at least one available here near Milwaukee, WI.

Don't be afraid to look around at a nice case for it, too. I dropped mine on day 3 and scuffed the upper corner pretty good, while waiting for my Amazon case to arrive. I ended up at Barnes and Noble that evening to get a case, regardless of how much they cost.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new device!!
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
toastayy
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Yeah, I see Walmart has a bunch in stock near me right now, and one out of about five Best Buys have at least one available here near Milwaukee, WI.

Don't be afraid to look around at a nice case for it, too. I dropped mine on day 3 and scuffed the upper corner pretty good, while waiting for my Amazon case to arrive. I ended up at Barnes and Noble that evening to get a case, regardless of how much they cost.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new device!!
Definitely getting a case and maybe even later a nice skin, I saw some on ebay for the nook classic that I was thinking of buying that looked pretty sweet. haven't had as much look with the Nook Color since its new and all.

I had a quick glance at Walmart's website which indicated that they were out of stock online, tried some stores and ALL were out of stock, closest was NJ. Best Buy seems to have them in stock tho so I'll head on over there to check it out. Hopefully this snow storm stops so i can get it by my trip.

Thanks again for the help
Old 12-27-2010, 02:55 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastayy View Post
2. Let's say I buy the Nook Color from a seller on ebay, and I found out a couple weeks later that that the software is defective in some way. Can I return it to Barnes and Nobles to get a new one? Or do I return it to the seller?
And if I do purchase one from ebay is the warranty still valid under B&N? What is the consensus about buying Nooks on ebay anyway?

thanks for the help.
Personally, I avoid eBay like the plague and would definitely never buy electronics from there. But then, that's just me. YMMV
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I cannot read my NC in direct sunlight or even bright indirect daylight outdoors. I put an anti-glare screen protector on it, but I haven't tried it outdoors since then as I applied the screen protector to cut down on the shiny glass which was way too reflective for my tastes. I doubt the anti-glare screen protector will help much in direct sunlight. About the only readers that work in direct sunlight or those with eInk screens. A few readers have non-backlit monochrome LCD screens with a secial reflective coating applied to the back layer to make them work in sunlight, but LCD screens like those on the NC will wash out in sunlight.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Personally, I avoid eBay like the plague and would definitely never buy electronics from there. But then, that's just me. YMMV
You can get some good electronics from ebay. We got a big screen TV, and various high end pieces of stereo equipment for REALLY good deals. However, that being said, the trick is that you have to be REALLY WELL informed about WHAT you are buying and FROM WHOM before you buy. You have to ask a lot of the "right" questions and really (did I say really) do a LOT of homework to make sure you get a satisfactory purchase. I do realize that this may be a lot of work for your average ebay shopper, however.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
toastayy
Nameless Being

Thanks for the info on the anti-glare screen protector. Doubt i'll ever be reading it in direct sunlight, but let's say i'm in a well lit room like a library or a classroom and its as reflective as you claim, I definitely will need one.

Also, I see the ebay bit is a bit controversial so i guess i'll just go ahead and buy it from Best Buy. Just means its going to take me a little while longer to get it

Thanks for the replies.

Tags
buying, ebay, nook color