Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I read an article a week or so ago that the EU has been considering legislation to require that ebook formats and DRM work on all reading devices. I'm not sure how they could make that work but that's what the article said.

Anyway it said that the bill hadn't been taken seriously until B&N shut down in the UK and that significantly increased it's chances of passing.

Again, I'm not sure how they could make that happen or if they could, law or not, but it sure would be a desirable outcome.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:08 AM   #17
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I don't own any sort of Kindle so that is not an option for me.
Kindle for Android can get magazines and is supported by the Tools, so if you own an Android device of some sort, that might be an option. I use it for my Analog subscription.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I read an article a week or so ago that the EU has been considering legislation to require that ebook formats and DRM work on all reading devices. I'm not sure how they could make that work but that's what the article said.

Anyway it said that the bill hadn't been taken seriously until B&N shut down in the UK and that significantly increased it's chances of passing.

Again, I'm not sure how they could make that happen or if they could, law or not, but it sure would be a desirable outcome.

Barry
Do you have the link to this article?

I would love to see Amazon have to allow ADE and kepub (I forget the name of the kepub renderer) on the Kindle. That would be a hoot. And Amazon would have to give Kobo their code. That would be interesting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I found this link: Will Ebooks Ever Circulate Freely in Europe?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:01 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
But ironically the UK has not only left the EU, but insulted both EU and some member states directly. I can't imagine many in EU caring about companies leaving UK. Even some UK companies are leaving/left, or moved HQs to Singapore, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, France or Germany.

It's more likely that from monopoly issues they are concerned about Amazon. I don't know what their penetration is in French and German (Both in a few EU and non-EU European countries, Belgium, Switzerland and France has French & German speakers), never mind other EU languages. Malta and Ireland officially have English and in EU. Amazon doesn't even have websites for them but has over 90% of English language eBooks worldwide.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:47 AM   #21
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
I was really excited when I saw the link in the original body for an e-magazine available directly from Kobo, but alas, it's from 2016 and the link just redirects to Kobo.com now.

It's a bit disappointing that the state of periodicals has gotten worse on Kobo in the past ten years, to the point of being nearly nonexistent. And yeah, I can sideload, but I think this topic only further demonstrates that the number of magazine vendors who offer a direct EPUB for download is vanishingly few.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 03:37 PM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What about...this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 2.32.42 PM.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	202739  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 07:24 AM   #23
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Which is essentially what the post I linked to pointed out but I think the point here is that you have to side-load these instead of getting the issues directly onto the ereader.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:32 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
Which is essentially what the post I linked to pointed out but I think the point here is that you have to side-load these instead of getting the issues directly onto the ereader.
And that's a problem why?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 09:03 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
USB is the ONLY method I'm interested in. The ereader/phone/tablet can charge at the same time.

Direct to device locks you into one supplier/seller. Imagine if you could only use one brand of fuel or one specific brand and style of bread? Unless ALL retailers offer direct to Device for ALL devices, It's pointless.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:08 AM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
USB is the ONLY method I'm interested in. The ereader/phone/tablet can charge at the same time.

Direct to device locks you into one supplier/seller. Imagine if you could only use one brand of fuel or one specific brand and style of bread? Unless ALL retailers offer direct to Device for ALL devices, It's pointless.
Depending on your definition of "direct to device"? Didn't some sellers used to use kindle email addresses to send ebooks to buyers?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:33 PM   #27
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
What about...this?
Why, oh why, doesn't the publisher sell (digital) back issues of this magazine!?
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 01:13 PM   #28
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
Why, oh why, doesn't the publisher sell (digital) back issues of this magazine!?
Because periodical publishers only buy "first serial rights". They only have the right to sell those stories for a limited window of time, essentially.
jmurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 01:25 PM   #29
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
Because periodical publishers only buy "first serial rights". They only have the right to sell those stories for a limited window of time, essentially.
They do sell back issues of the print version though. Maybe they are allowed to sell a certain number of printings.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:16 PM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
They do sell back issues of the print version though. Maybe they are allowed to sell a certain number of printings.
Usually that's just unsold from the print run and they don't reprint.