Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Best online bookstore (the best selection of ebooks for your taste and preference)
Amazon 36 53.73%
Borders 2 2.99%
B&N 9 13.43%
Other 20 29.85%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Which one do you think is the online bookstore with better ebook selection for you

Time for another pool!

So, from all the major online bookstores which one is, in your opinion, the one with biggest and better ebook selection.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
yeah so now we all can pick the bookstore that corresponds with our device.

I choose the ePub bookstore, borders, Google, Sony, Library, wherever I want to shop
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would add Sony and Google to the list
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
This is hard to answer. I use both B&N & Amazon & they are about the same for the type of books I choose to read.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I would add Kobobooks to the list. I use Amazon and Kobobooks about 50/50.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
tennoel
Enthusiast
tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-300
I read for a bunch of book clubs, so I end up buying from whoever has it cheapest for the particular book I need.
tennoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennoel View Post
I read for a bunch of book clubs, so I end up buying from whoever has it cheapest for the particular book I need.
Isn't it nice to have choices
Old 12-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I don't buy DRM, so I shop at Smashwords and occasionally Fictionwise, and a handful of individual publishers' bookstores.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
None of these! I'm not in the US.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Amazon's selection just seems more polished, organized and developed than any other retailer, such as their large selection of genre-oriented bundles. As far as popular modern literature goes, the retailers seem comparable in price and selection. I don't know how they compare in sheer quantity of titles.

I also prefer Amazon's site layout and organization. So much so that if I didn't have a Kindle I would probably browse Amazon first and then do a manual search elsewhere. I'm addicted to the scrolling list of similar books.

I don't think the difference between retailers and available sources is big enough that someone should pass up an ereader they have a strong preference for; but as someone who prefers the Kindle device-wise, I like Amazon's site so much that another ereader would have to be clearly superior in every way (per my tastes) for me to consider it.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Best selection overall for the sorts of books I buy: Amazon, since pretty much everybody puts up a copy of their stuff there.

Best pricing for books I actually buy: Kobo & Fictionwise during coupon sales.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I also prefer Amazon's site layout and organization. So much so that if I didn't have a Kindle I would probably browse Amazon first and then do a manual search elsewhere.
True! If I need a pbook right away I check in Amazon's reviews. Then I go to B&N, drink a coffee and enjoy my new book!

Or (if not in a rush) check content and TOC in B&N, drink coffee anyway, lol ... order later in Amazon...

Last edited by jocampo; 12-20-2010 at 08:39 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I also prefer Amazon's site layout and organization. ... I would probably browse Amazon first and then do a manual search elsewhere. I'm addicted to the scrolling list of similar books.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Amazon's selection just seems more polished, organized and developed than any other retailer, such as their large selection of genre-oriented bundles. As far as popular modern literature goes, the retailers seem comparable in price and selection. I don't know how they compare in sheer quantity of titles.

I also prefer Amazon's site layout and organization. So much so that if I didn't have a Kindle I would probably browse Amazon first and then do a manual search elsewhere. I'm addicted to the scrolling list of similar books.

I don't think the difference between retailers and available sources is big enough that someone should pass up an ereader they have a strong preference for; but as someone who prefers the Kindle device-wise, I like Amazon's site so much that another ereader would have to be clearly superior in every way (per my tastes) for me to consider it.

you don't get out much do ya do you mean sort ebooks like this

4BestsellersNew ReleasesFlying Off The Shelves161116See More
161116More New Releases
.Customer Favorites
B&N Top 100
Great Holiday Reads
Best of 2010
The New York Times Bestsellers
Flying Off The Shelves
New Releases
Coming Soon
Free NOOKbooks
NOOKbooks Under $5
LendMe NOOKbooks
PubIt! Books
Subjects
Fiction
Romance
Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Kids
Teens
Biography
Business
Cookbooks
History
Mystery
Religion & Inspiration
Self-Help
NOOKbooks en español
See More
NOOKnewsstand
Magazines
Newspapers
Top Free Trials
Hot New Titles

umm they all kind of do it.

I actually am not a big fan of amazon's layout, it doesn't look any different ifyou were shopping mp3 players or even HDMI cords. It's the same look and layout, nothing unique

I like Kobo's and of course BN' look and layout the best. Bn you actually feel like you are in an online bookstore if that makes sense. IDK maybe its the hunter green and just the overall layout.

Amazon I could be shopping for nails and it doesn't look any different

here's BN http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp?bnit=H

and here's Amazon's http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/...ode=1286228011

and here's amazon's kitchne and dining, same look and layout

http://www.amazon.com/kitchen-dining...F8&node=284507

and here's Kobo's which is another I just like alot

http://www.kobobooks.com/
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I shop at several ebook stores, but I buy many more from Amazon than anyone else. They have the best selection, and they usually have the best price (equal for Agency titles, better for most others). I avoid TOPAZ though. I also shop frequently at B&N, at Sony, at Webscriptions, at SmashWords, at WHSmith in the UK, and recently at Google eBookstore (often matches Amazon prices). FictionWise was my favorite store for several years, but now I rarely visit.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote