Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Mobipocket support on it's way...

Just noticed this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel@iRex
Quote:
So far, one can only read books. Old books. Period. Everything else sooner or later hits a wall or two. For reading (old) books only it is a bit overpriced.
Mobipocket support is on track.
Is this the first time iRex have actually specified Mobipocket support rather than making cryptic "There has been a lot of speculation about one ebook supplier. And we have never denied it" style comments?
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I dunno, their comments never sounded cryptic to me. Between that, and posts on the mobipocket forums. I considered it a 99.99% chance that the format would be mobipocket.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

they've been talking about an 'official announcement' about this for about what, three months now?

it's always coming soon ... i believe it when i see it.
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Almagne
Enthusiast
Almagne began at the beginning.

IIRC someone said that that with firmware 2.9 Mobipocket now recognizes the iLiad. Was there some undocumented function included in revision 2.9?
Almagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almagne
IIRC someone said that that with firmware 2.9 Mobipocket now recognizes the iLiad. Was there some undocumented function included in revision 2.9?
See: http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.p...ght=mobipocket

and

http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/view...=1077&start=30

Last edited by henkvdg; 03-16-2007 at 01:14 PM.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
vampyre
Haemoglobin Junkie
vampyre began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch, Irex Iliad
Delighted though I am to see my Iliad recognised by Mobipocket since the last upgrade I still can't read trashy fiction on the device yet.
Much though I love my Iliad and have found Irex to be quite good (since I'm not techie) when they use the word "soon" my heart just sinks

(I am in Ireland, it would have been great to spend this holiday weekend reading mindless junk on my Iliad )
vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyre
Delighted though I am to see my Iliad recognised by Mobipocket since the last upgrade I still can't read trashy fiction on the device yet.
Much though I love my Iliad and have found Irex to be quite good (since I'm not techie) when they use the word "soon" my heart just sinks

(I am in Ireland, it would have been great to spend this holiday weekend reading mindless junk on my Iliad )
Like what?
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
vampyre
Haemoglobin Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
Like what?
Any rubbish at all that is not chick lit or Dan Brown with lots and lots of murders
Since my set of the dark tower books mysteriously went missing before I ever got to read them perhaps that. As long as my brain cells are in no way challenged.

Last week I bought a paperback (skinny one too I read it in one evening) it was €12 (must look at prices before paying next time)
Old 03-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
vampyre
Haemoglobin Junkie

Thom from Irex has posted that the issues are with Sun and Mobipocket and being closed down one at a time.
Bah!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom
We're working on few extra requirements SUN & Mobipocket have and closing down issues one by one.....
I don't know what requirements Sun would have. Dependencies for Java, maybe? Didn't someone already get Java running on the iLiad?

I wonder if I know any of the people at Sun who are working on this... (I used to work for Sun tech support, though not in Europe.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
I don't know what requirements Sun would have. Dependencies for Java, maybe? Didn't someone already get Java running on the iLiad?
The Mobipocket port for the iLiad will be written in Java. It's a pity, native Linux binaries would have been nicer
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:36 AM   #12
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
The Mobipocket port for the iLiad will be written in Java. It's a pity, native Linux binaries would have been nicer
I disagree -- I am a Java fanboy. It is reasonable to believe that developing java apps would be easier, and eliminate the need for extra toolchain, complicated development environment, cross compile etc. "Write once, run everywhere" you know?

Of course, how it actually will work out is another story... we will see.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 AM   #13
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Java makes indeed sense. Any decent PDA/bookreader with Linux should be able to run Java. Cell phones may have a Java enabled CPU. If need be a dedicated Java VM can be created now that Java is GPL.
Most of the Mobipocket reader is OS independent so it is best written in a portable programming language. For the OS dependent stuff JNI stubs can be written.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:34 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I have no real problem with the idea of Mobipocket being written in Java (though I know too much about the problems of Java -- as with sausages, sometimes it's better not to know what went into making a programming language!) I think it makes a lot of sense for a book reader to be written in Java, for maximum platform support. I was just wondering what the "issues" were that iRex was citing with Sun, and also I had thought that someone already got Java working on the iLiad.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #15
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
I wonder about those issues as well, and which Java VM they are going to base it on...

The Java VM mentioned on the forums was wonka; it is probably nice but it is stuck on 1.4 (last I checked).
narve is offline   Reply With Quote