Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
But unless things have changed, B&N ebooks, have a special DRM protection on them even if they are EPUB files so that they can only be read on B&N readers.
I believe ADE handles it now.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlemom1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
You can enter new information for your account, but I thought I'd read that the DRM is related to the credit card used to register the Nook in the first place? I haven't tried to strip DRM so I am not speaking from experience.
I was 99% sure that when you changed your credit card it would change it for all books purchased. I just decided to check as I had to change mine a couple of years ago. I was able to download and open a book on my iphone that I purchased with the old credit card. (I bet this book was purchased 2 credit cards ago.) I know this worked at eReader and Fictionwise when they were around.
Poodlemom is correct. What matters is the credit card number that is attached to the account at the time of the file download. So if you downloaded and archived files when a different credit card was active, you'd need that number to open that particular copy of the files. However, you can always re-download newer copies that have the current credit card number attached from your Library on the B&N website or via the Nook for PC app (presumably Nook for Mac as well?).

I changed credit card numbers a couple of times on my B&N account before I actually started downloading and stripping the DRM from my files and I had no trouble getting the older ones to work.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
What matters is the credit card number that is attached to the account at the time of the file download. So if you downloaded and archived files when a different credit card was active, you'd need that number to open that particular copy of the files. However, you can always re-download newer copies that have the current credit card number attached from your Library on the B&N website or via the Nook for PC app (presumably Nook for Mac as well?).
I agree, which is what I was saying earlier in more convoluted form.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Well thanks everyone. Hopefully it won't ever be an issue, but it's nice to know the large amount of money I've invested in B&N books won't be lost forever should it all go away. I might archive and re-download the books I'm most concerned about just in case, though I hope I B&N will stay around for a while and I won't have to change them.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #20
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
IF, and that's a huge IF, they go down at some point I'm sure they will their user enough warning to make it possible to download their purchases!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, but if they really go down and your current Nook device is your last one (because they are not made anymore), you won't be able to read your old Nook books on any newer device, unless you get rid of the DRM.

If B&N and/or the Nook division does go belly-up, what they should do is allow customers to download non-DRM versions of all their purchased books, IMHO.

They probably won't do this because, as I understand it, ebooks are only "loaned" to you and you don't really own them. Nice, huh.

Edit: Or maybe they could make them regular Adobe DRM books (like on Overdrive), so they could be readable on any device that uses that format (Kobo reader, Google, etc). The publishers would surely not allow complete removal of all DRM.

Last edited by RAH; 03-21-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Yes, but if they really go down and your current Nook device is your last one (because they are not made anymore), you won't be able to read your old Nook books on any newer device, unless you get rid of the DRM.
I suppose you'd be able to read them in ADE on a computer or in once of the various tablet/phone apps that are based on the Adobe RMSDK (BlueFire, Aldiko, Mantano, etc) as both support B&N DRM.

Quote:
If B&N and/or the Nook division does go belly-up, what they should do is allow customers to download non-DRM versions of all their purchased books, IMHO.
This wouldn't really be their choice. It'd be up to the publishers that wanted the DRM applied in the first place.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Edit: Or maybe they could make them regular Adobe DRM books (like on Overdrive), so they could be readable on any device that uses that format (Kobo reader, Google, etc).
I believe you can do that now, so long as you're on the latest version of ADE.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:

They probably won't do this because, as I understand it, ebooks are only "loaned" to you and you don't really own them. Nice, huh.

Edit: Or maybe they could make them regular Adobe DRM books (like on Overdrive), so they could be readable on any device that uses that format (Kobo reader, Google, etc). The publishers would surely not allow complete removal of all DRM.
Most (all?) current ereaders using Abobe software can technically support the B&N DRM, but manufacturers have disabled this.
If B&N would go down than I expect that Kobo (and probably Sony) would immediately update their ereaders to enable the B&N DRM support to make their devices attractive for Nook customers.

And do not forget that one advantage of B&N's social DRM is the fact that you do not need an DRM server after downloading a book once. So even if B&N would no longer exist, you will still be able read the books on all devices and programs supporting the DRM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #25
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
I believe you can do that now, so long as you're on the latest version of ADE.
Oh yeah, now that I think about it, I think you are correct. Plus, as geertm says, others would probably update their software to handle the B&N ebooks anyway.

So, I panicked prematurely! All is well.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Most (all?) current ereaders using Abobe software can technically support the B&N DRM, but manufacturers have disabled this.
If B&N would go down than I expect that Kobo (and probably Sony) would immediately update their ereaders to enable the B&N DRM support to make their devices attractive for Nook customers.

And do not forget that one advantage of B&N's social DRM is the fact that you do not need an DRM server after downloading a book once. So even if B&N would no longer exist, you will still be able read the books on all devices and programs supporting the DRM.
It is more that they do not implement the passhash authentication workflow, rather than disabling something that would happen by default. But it is in the realm of trivial to do so. It baffles me why some vendors do not bother to do so: effectively they are encouraging people with a B&N library to choose a different device or app. My 3 year old Pocket eDGe Jr supports it, I think Pocketbook too. Are you sure about Kobo?

I agree that BN DRM is more user friendly. No Adobe ID or app authorization is required. Don't know why no other vendors choose it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
And now they're resorting to outright illegal spamming (and you have to work at it to spam illegally in the US).

Two years+ I've had an account with them, and nary an email except order confirmations and responses to direct queries, until very recently. They reset my communications preferences to "spam me," the way Amazon did in their early days. Annoying, slimey and unethical. OK, I changed the settings to "do not send me this crap." And they sent another one. I noticed that the only easily identifiable communications preferences page in the account say it doesn't affect newsletters. Another slimy, unethical, annoying practice, but there's a link to the page where you can unsubscribe. Which doesn't let you unsubscribe, but instead, you put in your email address, and it sends you a link to where you can (allegedly) unsubscribe. Except it doesn't work. Errors out with a 404.

I also noticed that the spam itself has no information in it about how to unsubscribe. That's two CANSPAM violations.

Of all the ways B&N could have chosen to try to be more like Amazon, spamming the shit out of loyal customers is just about the worst. I've been thinking it's time to replace my nook color anyway, but I won't be buying another B&N product after this crap.
Well I still have my Nook Color and ST, but I've also recently purchased and received a Kindle pw(having the sideload/not show problem similar to what I had at times with Kobo, but other than that the fw is LIGHT YEARS ahead of kobo and I'll admit that the light is nice at night in the bedroom), anyways as to emails.

Seriously?! I'm in the same group, and the only problematic spammer that I've encountered recently is cafepress with their 5 or 6 spams PER EVERY F-----G day! Meanwhile I get MAYBE ONE email from B&N/d just like other sane etailers, although I've noticed a slight uptick from Amazon from a few/w to just about one/d now and, unfortunately mostly useless(the B&N ones are almost entirely useless BTW). Meanwhile the king spammer cafepress actually had some potentially nice discounts IF I were actually planning on buying anything in the 12-36h window most of them are, but...

i.e. I'd be careful about bandying about spamming when there are other etailers(cafepress I'm looking squarely at you) that are FAR FAR FAR worse...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #28
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
the fw is LIGHT YEARS ahead of kobo and I'll admit that the light is nice at night in the bedroom)
Are you comparing the Kindle pw to the Kobo Glo?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #29
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Anyone know what happened to their blogs? They used to post the friday freebie on the nook blog and other readers would comment with other freebies but now I can't find it??
Also I used to really enjoy reading the Ransom Notes B&N Blog but I can't find that either. I then went looking for the member forums to ask where they went and they seem to have disappeared too ???
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #30
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...free%20fridays
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote