Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kobo Glo light better than Kindle PW and Nook with glowlight

Or at least, according to this blog:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...lowlight-nook/
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Well, based on my own personal experience so far I have to agree with the blog.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
So someone who has a Kindle Paperwhite that is showing some defects ("distracting discolorations on the screen"), thinks that their Kobo Glo minus any defects looks better.

Shocking stuff!

It's like the video reviews comparing the light on the two models but failing to turn down the light on the Glo to a reasonable level.... pretty pointless.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Sometimes its not just about the hardware, its the software as well and Amazons software is considered to be much more stable than Kobo's.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At least the Kobo is available over here whereas the PW isn't. So I guess Kobo has a better distribution management. Also the Kobo goes with epub which is an open format whereas the PW is locked to its own format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Sometimes its not just about the hardware, its the software as well and Amazons software is considered to be much more stable than Kobo's.

Last edited by Quexos; 11-21-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired

And again that website confirms the Glo as the best front lighted reader of the year. It is noteworthy to mention that the previous kindle at 69 dollars is judged best for value.

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/best-ebook-reader.html

Quote:
2012 has turned out to be the year of the frontlight ebook reader. The Kobo Glo beats out the Kindle Paperwhite and GlowLight Nook Touch will a more evenly distributed light, thus making it the best frontlight ebook reader of the year.

It also has a solid set of features aside from the frontlight, including a microSD card slot, a high-res screen, support for ePub, custom fonts, the ability to set font weight and sharpness, and the Kobo Glo ties in with Facebook for sharing what you're reading with friends and family. It also has a web browser, notes and highlights, dictionary, reading awards and stats, and translation dictionaries.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Eh, I'll hold on to my PW. I'm content with it.

Good to see that things can improve all around, though, if the Globo is indeed that much better.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired

Well better readers mean a better competition. Hopefully it could goad the industry towards better rather than mediocre which is good for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
Eh, I'll hold on to my PW. I'm content with it.

Good to see that things can improve all around, though, if the Globo is indeed that much better.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Having lurked on the Kindle and Kobo boards here on Mobileread (because I'm interested in these front-lit readers), my impression is that more Kobo Glo owners are happy with their device, than Kindle PW owners.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
Quexos
Member Retired

I wonder how sales are going for both the PW and the Glo or for most other readers for that matter. Anyone knows of any websites with sales figures ?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
At least the Kobo is available over here whereas the PW isn't. So I guess Kobo has a better distribution management. Also the Kobo goes with epub which is an open format whereas the PW is locked to its own format.
The German website for Kindle PW still says "shipment end of this year".
Still: I've got mine, from Amazon Germany, last week.
No idea about the other countries, but at least in Germany Amazon ships early.
--> Kindle PW, at least to some extent, already is available in Europe.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
No idea about the other countries, but at least in Germany Amazon ships early.
--> Kindle PW, at least to some extent, already is available in Europe.
I've had mine for about a month now, here in the UK, although if you order now, Amazon UK are saying early Jan delivery date. They're easily available in the shops here, though. My local "Waterstones" has them in stock.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If you don't mind the smaller screen, I think the Kobo Mini is probably giving the basic Kindle some competition, or maybe due to it being smaller it doesn't come into the equation?

As for the lighted readers, I just don't like the look of the Nook (it's too square!), and I think there is room for improvement for both the Glo and the Paperwhite, which is why I'll probably wait for another year to see what an improved model will bring.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
As for the lighted readers, I think there is room for improvement for both the Glo and the Paperwhite, which is why I think I'll be waiting for another year to see what an improved model will bring.
If an improved model comes out in a year, I'm sure I'll buy it. In the mean time, I can do an awful lot of reading in a year on my PW .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I own a Nook Glow and I like it, damn good night reader. However, the font was never as crisp as I would like. I owned a Paperwhite for one day and returned it. It had serious screen issues and while I was sure I could buy and return until I ended up with good unit, I had concerns regarding what appeared to me to be a lack of good quality control in the manufacturing process.

So, after waiting a month or more for the Kobo Glo to become available in the U.S. I bought one and I can report that for me it was worth the wait. The light distribution was better with Kobo and the ability to change font weight, sharpness etc., is a great feature, not to mention a memory expansion slot. So ..having some experience with the three I have no problem agreeing with their conclusion.

Which is not to deny that the Kindle and Nook are both good products.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote