Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
Augen The Book - potential owner modifications to reader

I've thought of a couple of relatively easy modifications to TB- not on the level of hacking it, but I think they will improve my experience.

1 - Quick and easy- I flipped it in the case for reading PDF files. The way Augen set up the cover, the right side is the only side that doesn't have a 'prong' to keep the reader in place. When I read a PDF, I zoom it, and the default - which I cannot seem to change- is to put the PDF with the bottom aligned with the right hand side in zoom mode. So it slips down from the cover constantly. I will have to flip it back to use the USB or charger, but that is easy enough.

2- a strap. I am sure attacking a corner of the case (which has no visible screws for the curious) with a pin drill is not going to leave my warranty intact. And I think I really would like a view of what is packed where before indiscriminate drilling- look what happened to BP! However, I think any ebook reader should have the option of a strap, so I am going to find some sort of fitting I can epoxy to a corner. It seems to me that attaching things to the outside should be ok, and as long as I can slip a cord or strap through I will be happy, since I am into taking off the padded cover. Some sort of large metal eye for sewing onto a garment might be the right scale. My local hardware and home supply stores don't do anything close to small, let alone dainty.

I have noticed it is very easy to adjust the fit of the prongs that hold the reader in the case- although I may end up being the first person on record who snaps one off by metal fatigue

Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Rebecca, since you would really only need to use the strap while The Book is in the leather case, why not attach your ring to the leather case? I would suggest sewing and gluing a small fabric or elastic loop with a small metal ring in the loop to your case and attach the strap to the ring. You can find small metal rings at any hobby or arts and crafts supplier such as Jo Ann's or Michaels.

Another viewer complained that the prongs that secure The Book to the case would be subject to metal fatigue failure from repeated bending when removing and replacing The Book in the case. Would it be practical to not use the pins and instead glue or tape (with something tenacious like 3M's 4010 clear mounting tape, available in hardware stores like ACE or possibly craft stores) large pieces of velcro to the case and The Book to secure it?

I loved your crack about indiscriminate drilling and BP!

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 07-31-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Rebecca, since you would really only need to use the strap while The Book is in the leather case, why not attach your ring to the leather case? I would suggest sewing and gluing a small fabric or elastic loop with a small metal ring in the loop to your case and attach the strap to the ring. You can find small metal rings at any hobby or arts and crafts supplier such as Jo Ann's or Michaels.

Another viewer complained that the prongs that secure The Book to the case would be subject to metal fatigue failure from repeated bending when removing and replacing The Book in the case. Would it be practical to not use the pins and instead glue or tape (with something tenacious like 3M's 4010 clear mounting tape, available in hardware stores like ACE or possibly craft stores) large pieces of velcro to the case and The Book to secure it?

I loved your crack about indiscriminate drilling and BP!
I think the metal holders are going to suffer metal fatigue- I have to keep readjusting them- I think I fidget too much.

I got 3 lanyard type cords with different clasps at the dollar store- total a dollar and currently am looking for large flat eyes for hooks like those to be sewn on a coat. I am going to epoxy it to the corner of the reader.

It seems pretty sturdy- I have dropped it in the cover from 3 feet up accidentally, and from a foot up without the cover, and it didn't even seem to notice. I may take your suggestions on velcro and other methods of fixing it to the case as well.

Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
I am an old man

I used to carry by books in a "book bag"

The library books are gone now

TB is now in the bag, it fit nicely

And I do not mind carrying my TB on the bus in my now called TB bag

Smile

I am very happy with the TB no Problems yet to have

Thank you

Jim
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
alfitz
alfitz began at the beginning.

Device: The Book Augen
A small patch of Velcro on the bottom to line up wth the other side of the velcro stuck to the case. Easy ??
alfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
the book