Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
How to transfer books From my PW2 to my PC

I have some file types on my PW2 I would like to know what they are and if they can be read on my PC:

azw3f
mbs
mbp1

I would like to transfer them to my PC to read - these are properly bought books from Amazon, but are NOT books that they will let me download to my PC - only to actual Kindle devices. They are books with pictures that I need to enlarge to look at.

If this is not allowed on the forum, just let me know.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Not sure if its allowed but I will say there is a way and it involves Calibre. My kids and I share my Amazon account and now they are complaining over messing with each others books from their own devices. I want to strip the DRM on their books and move them to their own accounts. It sucks that Amazon wont do something so simple. It forces us to do stuff like this.
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Those are not files extensions for actual ebooks. They are generated by the Kindle when books are added to it. I believe the azw3f has something to do with metadata, and the mbs files are where bookmarks and notes you take are stored for each ebook.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Those are not files extensions for actual ebooks. They are generated by the Kindle when books are added to it. I believe the azw3f has something to do with metadata, and the mbs files are where bookmarks and notes you take are stored for each ebook.
Thanks, so the actual books should still be mobi or azw3? I just checked and the books with the other extensions are not there - humm - so if I download them again, they should be in just one of these two formats?

Update - works fine now that I know what to look for.

Last edited by peaceridge; 08-20-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Not sure if its allowed but I will say there is a way and it involves Calibre. My kids and I share my Amazon account and now they are complaining over messing with each others books from their own devices. I want to strip the DRM on their books and move them to their own accounts. It sucks that Amazon wont do something so simple. It forces us to do stuff like this.
Thanks, I do know about Calibre, I use it for my book database and to move books from my PC to my PW2, just never went the other way.
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Thanks, so the actual books should still be mobi or azw3? I just checked and the books with the other extensions are not there - humm - so if I download them again, they should be in just one of these two formats?.
AZW, or AZW3 mostly. Not sure in all these years I've ever downloaded an Amazon file that was .mobi.

The files in the .sdr folders are holdovers. While I was looking at my Kindle via USB today, I dumped all of those useless folders of junk.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote