Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #31
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Why on earth would you bother? Just dump the gibberish files into Calibre. They immediately show up with all the proper metadata, and you normally never need to touch or see the filename at all. If you do ever need to export the file from Calibre, it's going to be automatically renamed with the metadata you've chosen anyway. IOW, Calibre is an automatic file renaming tool, as well.

ApK
MY personal choice. I like to be tidy when I have file names to deal with on my computer. Simply me.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #32
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I don't suppose I'll ever live in Canada so I should not be concerned by this evil law ...
The Canadian governments stonewalled for years before they finally bowed to external pressures and enacted the law. You should be concerned about the same kind of pressures being applied in your country, as well. This is not just a Canadian problem.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #33
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Amazon.com is the American site. I doubt that they would provide any statistics tracking a change in the buying habits of Canadians. Perhaps you know different.
I am quite certain that they track where all thier sales are coming from on all thier country sites. Whether or not they'd provide that info to anyone I don't know, but I doubt the answer changes based on which url the sale was made through.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #34
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I am quite certain that they track where all thier sales are coming from on all thier country sites. Whether or not they'd provide that info to anyone I don't know, but I doubt the answer changes based on which url the sale was made through.
Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying earlier
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #35
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
On the flip side, the most likely scenario is that nothing will change. The vast majority of folks will simply obey they law, enjoying the convenience of pushing the Buy button on their Kindle or Nook, and never give a thought to format- or space-shifting, and the subculture that does otherwise will continue to do otherwise.
This
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #36
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
On the flip side, the most likely scenario is that nothing will change. The vast majority of folks will simply obey they law, enjoying the convenience of pushing the Buy button on their Kindle or Nook, and never give a thought to format- or space-shifting, and the subculture that does otherwise will continue to do otherwise.
I'm not so sure of that. DRM makes the legitimate use of digital media difficult for ordinary users, particularly when they are switching devices That seems to be when people learn about DRM stripping and format-shifting.

DRM isn't about copyright anyhow. It is about locking consumers into a single vendor and restricting their use of that product (e.g. no resale).
Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #37
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm not so sure of that. DRM makes the legitimate use of digital media difficult for ordinary users, particularly when they are switching devices That seems to be when people learn about DRM stripping and format-shifting.
By all indications, it's a relatively small subset who care. That small set claims be looking out for the majority, to protect them when and if it become a concern for them. Fine, but the reality seems to be that it poses little practical difficulty for the majority.
I do expect that now that e-readers are cheap, popular and competitive across vendors it WILL start to become more of an issue for the majority.
When Kindle what the only game in town and cost hundreds of dollars, who cared about planning to switch devices?

Quote:
DRM isn't about copyright anyhow.
Yeah, it absolutely is. That is the only reason that publishers and distributors insist on it. Disney and the RIAA have not a care in the world what vendor, or how many vendors display the content to you, as long as they get paid for it.
(I'm not claiming it's a sensible or effective approach, but it clearly is the reason.)

Quote:
It is about locking consumers into a single vendor and restricting their use of that product (e.g. no resale).
This is a side consequence that makes the system bad for consumers and makes it less likely that vendors will enthusiastically join in opposition.
But it's not the reason for it.

Last edited by ApK; 11-09-2012 at 09:03 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #38
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
As a Canadian, I hate the new law, but I have to agree with you. They're not the same thing.
I hate it too, and I strongly suspect it won't stand a good court test. And someone will undoubtedly test it. However, it doesn't change the fact that it is a stupidly written law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I live in Canada. I could care less about this law. I will still strip my books now for the same reason I did yesterday...so I can keep my books if Kobo or Amazon goes under, or if I am no longer able to access them through their websites.
Actually, I don't care much about one or the other going under, I care about being able to read on the device of my choice. So I buy ePubs from Kobo and Kindle format from Amazon. And Kindle format from Baen where this is a total non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Stripping DRM from Kindle books is just as easy as Epub, using the plug ins for Calibre. Exact same steps, exact same amount of time.
Well, since I have a Kindle, it's actually fewer steps. I just buy it and ship it to my computer for download to my kindle over USB, and it comes right in. AND has a meaningful filename on my hard disk even before it gets to Calibre.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #39
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I must admit, the closing paragraph from the article on Teleread rings very true to me.

Quote:
Yes, it is ‘wrong’ to pirate. But now, it’s also ‘wrong’ to buy a Kobo book and then unlock it to read on a Kindle. So if one is ‘breaking the law’ anyway, why not have the free, unlocked copy?
http://www.teleread.com/copy-right/i...oks-in-canada/
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #40
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Since I read this news, I have now decided to not buy any e-books that have DRM. I was breaking the DRM on books I've bought, but now since it's illegal to do so, I guess those publishers that have DRM infested e-books have now lost business from me. Looks like I'll be buying a lot of e-books from Baen and Tor. Anything else I want, I'll borrow from the library, even if it's only available on paper. Just think of the money I'll save. Thanks, Canadian government!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #41
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
As a Canadian, I hate the new law, but I have to agree with you. They're not the same thing.
I, personally, can't help but think that giving any money to corporations lobbying for legal restrictions like that is far more immoral than wanting to read a book without spending money..
dsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #42
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsip View Post
I, personally, can't help but think that giving any money to corporations lobbying for legal restrictions like that is far more immoral than wanting to read a book without spending money..
Nothing illegal about wanting to read a book without spending money. Nothing illegal about wanting a new car or a steak dinner without spending money. It is how you go about getting these things without money that may be illegal although in most cases it can be done legally with a bit of effort.

Books are easy though, just say library.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #43
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
The biggest problem I have (and this isn't unique to Amazon) is having the author's first and last names reversed.
You can fix this. In the Edit Metadata window, click on the gear next to the download Metadata button. There check the box to swap Auther names from FN LN to LN, FN.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #44
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
oh, yeah, I know how to fix it, it's just that sometimes I remember and sometimes I don't, and it's a pain.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #45
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
oh, yeah, I know how to fix it, it's just that sometimes I remember and sometimes I don't, and it's a pain.
Since I checked that box all mine show up the same, LN, FN. I don't have to do anything each time. It's automatic. Wonder why yours is not consistent.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote