Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
jgratero
jgratero began at the beginning.

Device: none
Compiling for Lubuntu (regarding compiling instructions)

I'm compiling the binary for Lubuntu, and I've got a question regarding the instructions posted in the Sigil Wiki:

http://code.google.com/p/sigil/wiki/RunningFromSource

In the "Compiling on Linux" section, it states:

Quote:
It is assumed you want to generate Makefiles. You can do this by creating a new folder outside of the source distribution.
Sorry, english is not my first language, and I'm just trying to make sense of this... What does it mean "by creating a new folder outside of the source distribution"? This is about the folder the user creates when extracting the files within the source code .zip? or another folder?

Quote:
Now navigate to that folder with a terminal. Then type in and run the following:

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release /path/to/extracted/folder
make
sudo make install
If I navigate to the folder (where the source is) on the terminal, why do I need to write the "path to extracted folder"? I'm already there...

Instructions to install Sigil (from the source code) in Linux Minut seems more straight forward:

Quote:
1. First add the Kubuntu backports for the Qt 4.7.x development library or above. Mint 9 users only.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports && sudo apt-get update

2. Add the source folder to the home directory, enter it, install the Qt libraries and generate the makefiles.

cd sigil && sudo apt-get install cmake g++ libqt4-gui libqt4-svg libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqt4-dev && cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release

3. Finally, make and install.

make && sudo make install

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/457
The "You can do this by creating a new folder outside of the source distribution" is pretty much absent so, what's that about?
jgratero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It means just that, outside of the source distribution (the folder where you extracted the sources, or where your checkout from the SCM lives).

Meaning you can build and clutter with object files a folder that's miles away from the source, which is something appealing to a good number of people (especially when you work with a live source tree, or if said source tree is not hosted on a local device). Hence the need to supply the path the the toplevel source directory to cmake . (That ability is one of the selling points of cmake, among other things).

But, it's (usually) completely optional, you can still build inside the source directory, like the Mint instructions do.

(Alternatively, there was a common trend at one point to just create a directory in the toplevel source directory, and do stuff from there, that ended up being easier to document with something like this: tar xvzf my-project-1.0.0.tar.gz && cd my-project-1.0.0 && mkdir build && cd build && cmake .. && make)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-14-2012 at 07:09 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
jgratero
jgratero began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It means just that, outside of the source distribution (the folder where you extracted the sources, or where your checkout from the SCM lives).

Meaning you can build and clutter with object files a folder that's miles away from the source, which is something appealing to a good number of people (especially when you work with a live source tree, or if said source tree is not hosted on a local device). Hence the need to supply the path the the toplevel source directory to cmake . (That ability is one of the selling points of cmake, among other things).

But, it's (usually) completely optional, you can still build inside the source directory, like the Mint instructions do.

(Alternatively, there was a common trend at one point to just create a directory in the toplevel source directory, and do stuff from there, that ended up being easier to document with something like this: tar xvzf my-project-1.0.0.tar.gz && cd my-project-1.0.0 && mkdir build && cd build && cmake .. && make)
Thank you for the reply! I will proceed with the Linux Mint option then...
jgratero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Uhhh... I don't think there's really any difference in the build process between Lubuntu and Mint. Both use cmake (make sure Qt dependencies are met) and begin with using a build directory outside the source directory.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@DiapDealer: Yeah, I had forgotten how awful (by 'awful' I mean 'missing a single parent directory', preferably following debian's formatting of project-version ^^) the directory structure of Sigil's source packages were... And thus realized that the Mint instructions aren't very clear at all, there's no 'sigil' folder anywhere in Sigil's source zipballs...

So I was just assuming the sigil directory in question was manually created and where the zipball was unpacked, meaning it's building in the toplevel source directory .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-15-2012 at 06:58 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Actually, I was just confused by the OP's talk of different instructions for different flavors. I thought they were talking about about official Sigil documentation/instructions (which are fairly flavor agnostic). Now that I've followed the link, those Mint instructions they were referring to appear to be A) older and B) third-party
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote