Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
wakawakawaka
wakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beauty

Warranty Quandary

Hi all,
Good stuff. I have a question: for those of you who've disassembled your iliads, is this a breach of warranty? I read the limited warranty on irex's site, but am still unsure. How reasonable would it be to prove to Irex that should the contrast fail on the display, or pixels get inverted, that it was no fault of mine should I have disassembled my iliad without harm? Any insights would be helpful as I am contemplating the purchase soon, but with the express intent of hacking the damn thing!
Cheers!
wakawakawaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
I'm pretty sure that by disassembling your iliad you will void your warranty;
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
wakawakawaka
wakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beauty

Alright, I suppose a better question would be:
Are there stickers of any sort covering the screws, etc?
I.E. would a disassembly, providing there is no evidence, and no modifications made, breach the following:
(c) Notwithstanding the foregoing, IRex shall have no obligations for breach of warranty if the alleged defect or non-conformance is found to have occurred as a result of environmental or stress testing, misuse, neglect, improper installation, or accident or as a result of improper repair, alteration, modification, storage, transportation or improper handling.

If for instance, the defect is not a result of said disassembly. I suppose I should just try after I've had the thing for a week or so and everything looks good.
Thanks
wakawakawaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
wiljo
wiljo began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Well...
I guess it all depends on which part of the world you live in and what laws apply.

Living in Germany I fear no "warranty void if removed" stickers.
During the first two years (after purchase) it´s up to iRex to _prove_ that I bricked the iLiad... and removal of warranty-void stickers is unlikely to be prove enough...

[Apart from that - I haven't noticed any such stickers on my unit. And the first one had obvoius wear on the screws.....]

rgds
Wiljo
wiljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiljo
Living in Germany I fear no "warranty void if removed" stickers.
During the first two years (after purchase) it´s up to iRex to _prove_ that I bricked the iLiad... and removal of warranty-void stickers is unlikely to be prove enough...
Be careful with that. They have to prove otherwise just in the first 6 month, afterwards the customer has to. Also the removal of such stickers would suffice to void you warranty. Wikipedia: Gewährleistung.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawakawaka
If for instance, the defect is not a result of said disassembly.
Good point.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote