Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
insane9
insane9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Formatting Issues With Ebook

I've written an e-book and I'm using Caliber for the first time. I'm having alot of trouble. I've done hours and hours of research online but I cannot correct this problem, please see if you can help.

The 1st screenshot shows how my page looks in word. The second screenshot shows how the page looks in MOBI format.

The steps I take are simply: Save Word file as a .doc then use word to save as a .pdf then use Caliber to convert to MOBI

Why does it look different? I need it to look the same as it does in Word.

Also, page breaks don't seem to be working for me, which means all my chapters of the e-book are starting on the same page as the end of the last chapter. I want a to start my chapters on a fresh page.

I'm using Office 2010 on a Macbook Pro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 16.22.27.png
Views:	216
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	99458   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	99460  

Last edited by insane9; 01-15-2013 at 06:55 PM.
insane9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Saving as PDF is about the worst thing to do as PDF on converts terribly in many cases. Try saving as HTMl and using that instead. Another possibility is using rtf format.

Also, since most eBook formats are HTML based seeing how the HTML looks is likely to be a good indication of how the eBook will look.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to MobileRead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane9 View Post
The steps I take are simply: Save Word file as a .doc then use word to save as a .pdf then use Caliber to convert to MOBI
Has itimpi as pointed out using PDF as a source for converting is not a good idea.

There is a docx plugin (scroll almost to the bottom of the list to find) that should allow you to convert from docx format to mobi. I'm unsure how well it works but is worth giving it a try.

FYI, There are sticky posts at the top of each calibre forum that are an excellent source of info for folks just starting out. One of the sticky posts for this forum is titled "Read this before Posting PDF Questions" which explains many of the pitfalls associated with converting from such a format.

Good Luck in your ebook creation process.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-16-2013 at 12:48 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
insane9
insane9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Excellent stuff guys, thanks.

I ended up saving as a html file and then converting as you suggested.

I don't know why I was saving as pdf first. I think a website suggested it but obviously it's not the right way of doing it. The book looks properly formatted now.

Many thanks!
insane9 is offline   Reply With Quote