Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Battery Woes

Groan! My 505 battery appears to have died. While at the gym yesterday, I noticed the charge indicator was down to two bars whereas it had just dropped to three bars the previous day. Then, suddenly, it was at one then I got the low battery symbol. I charged it up when I got home and it read four bars but this morning, the low battery symbol was back on. Sigh

I've had this eReader for over three and a half years so I suppose I shouldn't complain. Question: how do I get the batter replaced? Do I have to mail the reader to Sony or can I get it repaired in a local Sony store? And what will the cost be?

Given the 505's age, I'd just go buy a replacement but, with Sony scheduled to introduce new models (or, more accurately, introduce improved models) next month, I want to wait. Problem is that would mean going without a reader (shudder).

Would appreciate any advice.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Check the forum out, there are several threads about battery replacement, including where to get one from, together with a mix of "relatively easy to do" and "diabolically difficult" postings. Probably not worth getting Sony to do it although they may offer a replacement at a good deal instead so wouldn't hurt to ask...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just talked to Sony and they said they'd give me a replacement for $90. Said it wouldn't be a 505 but rather a 600 or 650.

I'm going to go by the local Sony store this afternoon and talk to them as well.

Thanks for the input
Old 07-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

So I charged it up again and it worked fine for the hour I was at the gym. But, we'll see.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
savethebutterfly
Nameless Being

My 505 is about 20 months old and I love it as much as I do the 650. I hope it will last me a while - to be honest, at this day and age a battery should last longer than 3.5 years! And it should be easily replaceable when it does go. Of course, that would actually favour the customer, while the companies want us to buy an upgraded model instead.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Ironically, after recharging it a second time, it now seems to be working fine. Go figure.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
My 505 is 2 1/2 years old, and I find if I don't charge it all the way, it will show 4 bars when I unplug it from the outlet, but will then drop bars rapidly within a couple of days (instead of the usual couple of weeks).

If I charge it until the battery indicator light goes off, then it behaves normally.

I think the problem is with the battery monitor rather than the battery itself.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
A 650 for 90 bucks, huh? You turned that down b.c. you love the 505 so much?

If that kind of service is routine at sony, I think their premium pricing is AMPLY justified. Idk who would complain about sony prices being too high if you want to "go with" sony product.

Last edited by readingglasses; 07-27-2011 at 10:03 PM.
readingglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingglasses View Post
A 650 for 90 bucks, huh? You turned that down b.c. you love the 505 so much?

If that kind of service is routine at sony, I think their premium pricing is AMPLY justified. Idk who would complain about sony prices being too high if you want to "go with" sony product.
A refurbished 650. Still not a bad deal.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I just talked to Sony and they said they'd give me a replacement for $90. Said it wouldn't be a 505 but rather a 600 or 650.

I'm going to go by the local Sony store this afternoon and talk to them as well.

Thanks for the input
If you can get Sony to commit to a 650, I suggest you do so. I've had the 505 and really enjoy the 650 more. Better screen, better ADE, faster, touch, no touch layer, just better in every way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you can get Sony to commit to a 650, I suggest you do so. I've had the 505 and really enjoy the 650 more. Better screen, better ADE, faster, touch, no touch layer, just better in every way.
I was desiring a 650, but was waiting until Sony announced the new model so I can pick one up cheap, but then the iRiver Story HD came out with Google Books integration, and I REALLY WANT that feature, only in a decent ereader.

If the new Sony has that, I'll gobble it up, no matter what the price. (Sony, pretend I didn't say that).

I still love my 505, but it might be looking for a new home pretty soon.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
No, get the cheap 650, and then if you want to new Sony, you can sell it for more than 4(0 to fund your new reader.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote