Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #1066
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
This is the post

Email issues with Windows 10
Microsoft Mail Client Issue

If you've set up your TalkTalk Email in Microsoft Mail, you may find that when sending or deleting an email it is currently taking up to 24 hours for it to appear in the send or deleted folders.

We're sorry for any inconvenience these issues may be causing you, there's no need to call if you are affected, our engineers are working to resolve them as soon as possible.
Thanks. Sounds like something specific to TT.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #1067
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
"Your PC will restart several times. Sit back and relax."

Now at 24% complete.
I fell asleep, but the upgrade to Windows 10 seemed to go smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm not planning to upgrade but I just went on Talktalk webmail and spotted a message saying they have issues with Microsoft Mail for anyone on Windows 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are they referring to Windows Live Mail (the program that used to be called Outlook Express)? I rely on that for email - it would be a real nuisance not to be able to run it on Windows 10.
I use Outlook on the web and have no problem, but you can integrate the native mail app with Outlook. I just did it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 04:52 PM   #1068
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
So I got impatient. As of early afternoon, the upgrade had not started downloading yet. Then I found this:

Quote:
  • Open Command Prompt as Administrator
  • Enter wuauclt.exe /updatenow
  • Give it a few minutes, and open up Windows Update
  • Voila! You should now have the Windows 10 upgrade prompt on your Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 PC!

http://microsoft-news.com/windows-10...ick-will-help/
Right after doing this, I went to Windows Update and, lo and behold, Windows 10 had just started to download (I had changed updates to automatic download just yesterday for W10).

The files are initially downloaded to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then transferred to C:\$Windows.~BT

So if anyone else wants to force the download, just follow those instructions. Worked instantly for me.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #1069
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Two more ways to install Win10:

1- The iso you download can be extracted to a folder (via winrar, 7zip, etc) and you can run setup from there.

2- The media creation tool you can manually download also serves as an upgrader:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #1070
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I used the media creation tool to create a bootable usb (thumb) drive for recovery purposes. Then set it to install on my Win 8.1 Pro 64bit. Everything went very smooth. Back up and running in about 45 minutes.

Now it's time to explore!

Although, first impressions of the "Edge Browser"...I didn't see any improvement on speed - although that may be because Adblock wasn't running on it by default so it still loads all those annoying ads.

WARNING: If you choose "Quick Settings" during setup you will be sending alot of personal info to Microsoft...contacts, location, browsing history, etc. It's all supposed to make my experience better, but my experience is fine without giving them all that info. If you don't want to send all that info to them then you need to click on the little itty bitty option in the bottom left corner of the screen to change settings.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #1071
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I tried searching on this thread first to see if this was mentioned, so I apologize if this was a repeat, but one of the blogs I follow mentioned there's an issue with Windows 10 being set up as a default to share your Wi-Fi login with anyone in your contact lists/Facebook.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/w...with-contacts/

He does stress that it will ask (I think the first time, then not again), but includes what seems to me a convoluted way to turn this off from happening by default.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #1072
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
So I got impatient. As of early afternoon, the upgrade had not started downloading yet. Then I found this:
  • Open Command Prompt as Administrator
  • Enter wuauclt.exe /updatenow
  • Give it a few minutes, and open up Windows Update
  • Voila! You should now have the Windows 10 upgrade prompt on your Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 PC!

http://microsoft-news.com/windows-10...ick-will-help/

Right after doing this, I went to Windows Update and, lo and behold, Windows 10 had just started to download (I had changed updates to automatic download just yesterday for W10).

The files are initially downloaded to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then transferred to C:\$Windows.~BT

So if anyone else wants to force the download, just follow those instructions. Worked instantly for me.

--Pat
I tried this several times and it would not work on my 8.1 laptop. I googled it and found this web page that gives further instructions that do work.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/ho...-update-files/

Last edited by jswinden; 07-29-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #1073
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My W10 upgrade icon disappeared from the tool tray. Windows update says I have it reserved (W7 Pro x64)

(DSL) Network traffic is minimal
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #1074
jswinden
Nameless Being

Finally got it to download, but I get...
  • Windows 10 Install Fail
  • ad infinitum

Microsoft sucks! Glad all my other devices are from Apple.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #1075
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Fixed. Windows 10 changing stupid tap to click option

Last edited by JoHunt; 07-29-2015 at 09:04 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #1076
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
  • ad infinitum

Cortana KNOWS you are an apple fanboy at heart...won't stoop to that level.... lol
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #1077
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
  • ad infinitum

What did you get to download?

Try the media app I linked to above.
I used it to download three ISO images and upgrade the computer I was running it on.
This is coming via Edge.
(pretty snappy. Even NBCNews runs fast.)

Lots of exploring to do.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #1078
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Just finished upgrading this evening. Now the scroll part of my touchpad doesn't work. Guess I need to figure out what is going on there.

Overall, no problems but I'm not impressed. Give it a year or so :-D
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #1079
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Apparently if you don't like Windows 10, you have 1 month to revert to your previous OS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	win10.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	140641  
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #1080
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

What did you get to download?

Try the media app I linked to above.
I used it to download three ISO images and upgrade the computer I was running it on.
This is coming via Edge.
(pretty snappy. Even NBCNews runs fast.)

Lots of exploring to do.
No clue what ISO even is. I got Win 10 to download the update files, but I keep getting error code 80240020 when it tries to install. All the so called remedies I've seen including the BS one I listed earlier don't do a GD thing to help. Many others are having this issue and the remedies are not helping them either. Just more effing MS crap! You would think that 30+ years since Gates ripped off the idea of Windows from the Mac OS they would finally get it right, but no.... Eff it, I'm just going to leave it 8.1 since I rarely use WinCrap anyway.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-29-2015 at 10:09 PM.