Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-01-2008, 04:32 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Moreover, Sony is the only reader that has a software - pdflrf - that makes pdf more or less readable on the reader without loosing any formating or spending days on editing a book converted from PDF.
With respect, astra, that is incorrect. The Windows Mobipocket Reader does a reasonable job of converting PDF to Mobi format - in cases where such conversion is practical (ie it does OK with text PDFs, not so well with complex layouts).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #47
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With respect, astra, that is incorrect. The Windows Mobipocket Reader does a reasonable job of converting PDF to Mobi format - in cases where such conversion is practical (ie it does OK with text PDFs, not so well with complex layouts).
Frankly speaking when people complian about pdfs, I automatically assume that we speak about complex pdfs. If it is a simple text pdf then every ebook reader benefits from Mobipocket Reader. Although I was not impressed by results. I believe Adobe Acrobat Pro does much better job.

I, personally, gave up on pdfs. I learned to live with the l....misleading Son'y statements that it supports PDFs.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't use them either - I just wanted to clarify the possibly erroneous impression that the Sony Reader is somehow "unique" in having tools which can convert them to other formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #49
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
For reading technical pdfs (at least one collumn, I have never tried to read anything else) sony+pdflrf is a unique "team". I am not aware of any better way to read CCNA, CCNP etc., pdfs on 6" ebook readers than this one.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #50
NickHiatt243
NickHiatt243 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
pdflrf works for these type of books but like I said the text is very small...its hard to read even if you have good eyesight. But the awesome thing is that it keeps the images and layout of the pdf...it's almost there..it just needs to be fine tuned and add a way to make the zoom work.

I want know why sony couldn't come up with a converter like this. Most people see the box and it states that it can read pdf's. How ever they fail to mention you have to format and clean up a regular size pdf to make it work....most people don't have that kind of time or patience.

My question is if someone can code a decent converter why can't Adobe and sony make DE work with the reader. Reader support should have been the first firmware upgrade when DE 1.0 came out.

The sony reader is an awesome device but if you can't put content on it or your bookstore selection is weak then it's useless! Look at the ipod its easy to put content on and easy to use...pretty easy to see why it's so popular.
That's why I keep saying if sony had not of fed up and dropped the ball they could be the ipod of ereaders.

Instead of tossing in stupid filler items like a music player and picture viewer they could of focused more on expanding thier bookstore or partnering with Borders or Barns and Noble and figuring out how to make DE on the reader before releasing the 505.
NickHiatt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
The Sony, or most of the readers we talk about on this site, are not very good with those type of books. They are just too small for that type of content and the content wouldn't deal well with reflowable text with all the charts and sections and formatting.

Jason
One other note is that NO eink reader will deal with DRM protected PDF. The iLiad supposedly will be able to view password protected PDF, but DRM PDF is off-limits. So why would Sony sell them since they won't work?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Yep. That's why, even though they offer free PDF conversion, they make it explicit that it is "experimental". They don't claim they support it because they can't do it well. They've taken a lot of flack for that from people who don't understand. I can't tell you how many flames I've seen in the comments on sites like gizmodo and engadget along the lines of, "What do you mean they don't do PDF? PDF is teh most common ebook format ever. FAIL." They do PDF about as well as any 6" reader can. They're just honest about it.
Is there actually any software that can do a perfect PDF conversion? I've yet to ear of such. Even Adobe Acrobat Pro cannot do a perfect conversion even if the PDF is just all text.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:08 AM   #53
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there actually any software that can do a perfect PDF conversion?
There *is* such SW. It ain't perfect, as you are going to see in a moment , but it works reasonably well. I dare to say, it works much better than some expensive commercial equivalents.

Step 0
install Ghostscript
The link to the download is on the GSview site

Step 1
Install GSview

Step 2
Open pdf file in GSview and "print" it out as a series of tiff pictures

Step 3
Run resulting pictures through a good OCR program

In some cases this was the path of least resistance for me for getting some complex tables that were sent to me in "electronic form" and I needed to work with them.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #54
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa:
Yep. That's why, even though they offer free PDF conversion, they make it explicit that it is "experimental". They don't claim they support it because they can't do it well. They've taken a lot of flack for that from people who don't understand. I can't tell you how many flames I've seen in the comments on sites like gizmodo and engadget along the lines of, "What do you mean they don't do PDF? PDF is teh most common ebook format ever. FAIL." They do PDF about as well as any 6" reader can. They're just honest about it.
Quote:
Is there actually any software that can do a perfect PDF conversion? I've yet to ear of such. Even Adobe Acrobat Pro cannot do a perfect conversion even if the PDF is just all text.
Precisely. My point is that Amazon's conversion is pretty much on par with everyone else's (bad) so they don't claim to support it. People who just look at the bullet-point list of features see Amazon: no PDF support vs Sony: PDF support. Sadly if you believe that claim and don't research before buying, you may end up justifiably outraged like NickHiatt. I'm sure it cost Amazon some sales to be honest.

Last edited by Alisa; 06-02-2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: format error
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #55
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I wonder why people are getting so exciting about this DE issue.
It is just another DRM...
I will follow my MS lit path.
The benefit is that it offers more selections and shopping options, If the Sony Store doesn't Have it maybe Books On board does etc, If the industry can't adopt a universal standard then the logical choice for hardware manufacturer's is to allow multiple formats to be read on their device.
See the Quote Below!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I'd rather use a DRM that can work on multiple devices and that is available for a large number of online stores, than a DRM that works strictly on PRS devices and is only available on Sony's store.

It's true that with LIT you can easily remove the DRM though... CSS and embedded fonts in ePub will enable better looking books on the other hand.
I totally Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
It would be nice if the sony store sold .ePub format books once the sony reader supports it. Is there a list of sellers who sell .ePub format?
To my Knowledge Books On Board is the only one selling epub format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHiatt243 View Post
I'm pretty pissed at sony right now!

I paid some serious coin for a prs-500 because it claimed it could read pdfs....well we all know that was a big lie. Two months later they come out with a 505 spouting off that it will work with DE...whats it been 6 months or so since the 505 has been out and it still doesn't work with DE.

I was hoping they would update the firmware for the 500 so it could run DE too but it seems that is fading away. I'm not going to pay another $300 so I can have a reader that that can use DE. Many will probably say use this converter or do this to make it work. I have spent countless hours trying diffrent software and converts to no avail.

The sony bookstore is useless and their selection is pathetic. The reader could have been the next big thing if sony wouldn't of F'ed up and tried to go with their own retarded format that doesn't work with anything else. Mini Disk anyone????? I also have one of those too unfortunately.

I vow that if sony doesn't add support for the 500 I will never buy anything sony again. And my vaio computer,mini disk player, and reader will make some good target practice for my buddy's new AR-15
Did you happen to research a little before you bought? I have found all of the issues good and bad for all the devices on my list, My reservation with Sony is the firmware release, and their History of abandoning a format. But I know this going into it. I also know that if a gadget has been out any length of time there is a good chance that right after I buy it, The New versions will be announced. Just my Luck! But I do understand your frustration, Do you remember Divx Players I bought into that whole fiasco.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote