Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
Irishkit
Irishkit began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Unhappy Kobo freezes after a few hours

I am on my second( third if you include the one that would not even charge up when I got it home) . The first one after 2 months usage suddenly developed a problem with the screen. I could only read the bottom half of the screen. The store was happy to provide me with a replacement which I shall call my third one. This one I have been using for about 2 months. I read a lot and I find that after a few hours the pause between each page turn gets longer and longer until the tablet finally freezes. It was ok for the first month or so but now cannot be used for more than an hour at a time. I am beginning to think that the life of a Kobo is only 2 months. I also have a Kindle Fire which has never given me any problems but wanted an electronic ink reader as I read a lot. Anyone got any suggestions, comments?
Irishkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Does this happen with all of your books, or is it just the one book that you are now reading that gives you slower page turns the longer you read until a freeze occurs? It could just be a wrongly/badly/horribly formatted book.

Is it kepub (bought and synced from Kobo), or a sideloaded epub (or other format)?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If it does happen with every book the problem might be a corrupted database which could be fixed by logging out and then back in to your account, or some other software problem which might be fixed with a factory reset. Something to try before returning the device anyway.

By logging out of your account you will lose some information about sideloaded books such as the reading status (which books have been finished etc.) and shelves. A factory reset will wipe everything, and all sideloaded books will need to be reloaded just as if it was a new device.

In both cases if you use ADE you should make a copy of the .adobe-digital-editions directory on the device and copy it back afterwards, or else you will need to reauthorize the device from ADE.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
cavey
cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo touch
Mine does it Kobo said it was a fault and I could return it for a new one, but It doesn't happen all the time and I look on it as a chance to make a hot drink nad then carry on reading seems to happen when I have been reading for a few hours non stop. I have read 433 books in a year on it I work full time and long hours so when I di read on it it is for a good length of time
cavey is offline   Reply With Quote