Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #286
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
People on MR were only noticing now that the MacBook Pro Retina models were non-upgradeable and had dispensed with Firewire? The MacFixIt article on which that piece was based is about six months old, and the issues don't end there.

Apple offers a thunderbolt-to-firewire converter and pretends that's enough. Unfortunately, the conversion only goes from thunderbolt to firewire, not the other way around. Which means that, if you're a small studio with bags of firewire I/O hardware, you'll need a Sonnet Echo Express Card to use your own costly and hard-won kit.

Additionally, if you're a former Mac user who wants to migrate data, you can't use Apple's Migration Assistant with the Firewire adapter or even the Echo Express. This is because MA only supports firewire-to-firewire and thunderbolt-to-thunderbolt (USB isn't supported at all). The whole point of MA was to make moving from one machine to another transparent, so that all of your software and passwords are still recognized and usable. Effectively, Apple has sabotaged their own claim of seamlessness, meaning your choice is to create a disc image and transfer it from one machine to the other via USB 3.0.

"It just works," indeed.

For people whose industries are Mac-based, the obvious solution is to forgo the Retina MBP and buy the MBP with conventional construction, which is still being sold by Apple and still offers user-upgradeable RAM, batteries and cards. If you must have the best laptop screen possible and worship the Retina display, then wait for a comparable external 233-ppi-or-better display to appear in 2013-4. Meanwhile, you'll have a laptop that can be upgraded and repaired by you, and will doubtless age more usefully.

If I weren't bound to Apple by the music industry, I'd have built my own tower and had done with it ages ago. As things stand, the iMac is as powerful as the old Apple quad-cores but heats up and isn't reliable as a replacement for people running loads of, uh, loads.

If Apple doesn't release a tower eventually, we'll all build hackintosh towers and use those until we've migrated our systems to whichever platform feeds the music production niche more reliably. Linux appears to be the obvious endstop, but it isn't because music production encompasses so many variables and levels of user that it has to be idiot-proof. I won't even tell you what clients have done in the middle of a mix when I was elsewhere adjusting physical settings or downstairs accepting a food delivery. The idea of what they'd do in a Linux environment is terrifying.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-02-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: *Reliably*, not *reliable* -- a mistake so obvious, I thought I'd fixed it already.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #287
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
SeaKing:

Can you be "seriously dating" a woman you're divorcing?

;-)

Hitch
Depends on what you call serious.

Truth is you can date a woman you have divorced as well.

Pretty easy. You already know the coordinates well, and just need landing permissions.

(Maybe that should be boarding permissions.)

"Just pipe me aboard, matey."

Last edited by SeaKing; 12-01-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #288
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Depends on what you call serious.

Truth is you can date a woman you have divorced as well.

Pretty easy. You already know the coordinates well, and just need landing permissions.

(Maybe that should be boarding permissions.)

"Just pipe me aboard, matey."
"I spent most of my money on women and booze,
And like a fool, I squandered the rest..."

- Benny Hill (Bob Dylan parody song)
Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #289
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Linux have been dreaming that dream for ages,
True, there was a time a decade or so ago when as each new year dawned someone would proudly christen it the "Year of the Linux Desktop". Thing is, while everyone was staring at the Linux desktop pot waiting for it to boil over (obviously, it never did), Linux was quietly taking over the rest of the world. Today Windows is firmly caged in a stagnating desktop niche market, surrounded by a sea of Linux/Unix devices -- from smartphones (both Android and iOS are Unix) to Linux-based ereaders to Linux satellites, network routers, TiVos, Hollywood special effects shops, the world's fastest super-computers, GPSes and navigation systems, the Large Hadron Collider....

And, oh yeah, something called the Internet.

Nope, Linux on the desktop never happened. Funny thing is, even Linux fanboys these days don't seem to care. Hundreds of millions of people use Linux every day and don't even know it. Why not let Windows have the crumbs?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #290
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Those are effectively limited-function gadgets....

Modern smartphones and tablets are arguably closer to video game consoles than they are to full function computers....
Define "full-function computer". Both the Nook and the Fire are much more capable computing devices than the first PC I bought back in 1987 (let alone my CP/M machine half a decade earlier). And the X-Box gaming console *is* a full-function computer; there are at least a half dozen desktop Linux distros that can be installed on it.

If we're going to define "full-function computer" as "whatever current state of the art is in desktop computing" then by definition *any* dedicated device is going to be "limited-function". I'm not sure why that makes it's operating system irrelevant.

As I see it, as technology consumers we're not doing less computing than before. We've simply taken the computing tasks we used to do on a single multi-function device sitting on our desks, and distributed those same tasks across a small handful of somewhat less "multi-function" devices sitting in our pockets. But if Linux is irrelevant to my ereading just because I'm reading on a Kindle, then why does Windows suddenly become relevant when I'm doing my ereading on my PC? Ditto Internet surfing, online gaming Skyping or any number of other computing tasks I no longer do exclusively on my desktop?

More and more of our daily computing tasks are being performed with OSes that don't come from Redmond. If the OS of a dedicated device is irrelevant, then why is Microsoft's revenue in decline?

Last edited by Nathanael; 12-02-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #291
Nathanael
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I'm afraid this is true. The allegedly traumatizing user interface change going from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is small compared to getting used to Linux -- and the Linux GUI I have been getting used to -- KDE -- is actually supposed to be more Windows-like than the other popular Linux GUI, Gnome.
I'd disagree. I'm not sure how you could claim that going from one mouse-driven Start-button-centric UI to another is more traumatizing than moving from that to a touch-oriented Start-button-less screenful of boxes. The UI paradigms of Windows 7 and KDE (I have KDE on my desktop, Win7 on my laptop) are vastly more similar than those of Windows 7 and Metro; both are simply variations on the universal UI paradigms that have dominated computing since the mid-90s, be it Windows, Mac or Linux.

But if KDE is not to your taste, you might take a look at Zorin OS, a Linux distro which out of the box is nearly indistinguishable from W7, but can also be easily rethemed as Vista, XP, 2K, or Mac OSX.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #292
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Truthfully, what I'd like is to run Linux as a Virtual Machine base and be able to guest nearly every small scale OS in history. (I don't feel the need to run IBM mainframe OS'es, although you probably could run base MVS on a top end PC nowadays.)

You can do it for most old 8 bit OS'es (with emulators), also early Mac OS'es, but later ones have been cut off by Apple by specialized hardware control requirements...

Now if only someone would write an interface for Virtual PC 2004 (which allows running DOS all the way back to 1.0)....
Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #293
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
I'm not sure how you could claim that going from one mouse-driven Start-button-centric UI to another is more traumatizing than moving from that to a touch-oriented Start-button-less screenful of boxes.
I'm not that visual. So, for me:

Windows 7 - Press Winkey, start typing the name of the application you want.
Windows 8 - Press Winkey, start typing the name of the application you want.

The trauma I was talking about with Linux was thus not the user interface difference. It is the contrast between Windows 8 recognizing all my hardware instantly and automatically, vs. Linux behaving inconsistently with both my on-chip Intel HD video and my keyboard. The keyboard was not on the long list provided by my distribution software. One day I will, perhaps with the help of the OpenSUSE forum members, get it working, but for now I am using another keyboard.

Windows 7 also has trauma. Not in the user interface being a problem, but concerning security and updates. I just experienced this a few minutes ago, making sure my wife's computer was up to date. (For example, I got a message saying that system -- set to auto-update -- could not install an "important update." I clicked that dialog box and it said all important updates were installed!)

How difficult it is to update Linux, I guess I will see when OpenSUSE goes from 12.2 to 12.3 next year.

I've only had Windows 8 for a month, but I've put a lot of software on it, and it's been close to trouble free. Close enough, that I'm going to declare Win8 the first desktop OS I've seen since the Apple II that is truly a consumer product -- you don't need a computer maven to step in and help you once in a while. (The Mac OS may also be a consumer product in this way -- I have too little experience with it to say.)

Quote:
The UI paradigms of Windows 7 and KDE (I have KDE on my desktop, Win7 on my laptop) are vastly more similar than those of Windows 7 and Metro
The word vastly is vastly overused in tech journalism. No need for us amateur pundits to adopt the bad habits of the pros

I also use KDE. If you include the method for installing software as part of the user interface, and I don't know why you wouldn't, KDE is different. For example, going to the latest version of Calibre is identical on Win7 and Win8, and different from either on KDE.

Quote:
both are simply variations on the universal UI paradigms that have dominated computing since the mid-90s, be it Windows, Mac or Linux.
Yes, and a tile is just a bigger icon. My $90 wide-format Acer LCD monitor fits more than my old CRT, so it made sense to expand the icons into something with a bit more info. And I can still use Winkey-D to get to the old desktop.

The Win8 Store? I ignore it. If others like it, good for them. The big changes for Win8 were faster boot, secure by default, revamped backup/Storage Spaces and, it appears to me after one month, greater stability.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #294
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
People on MR were only noticing now that the MacBook Pro Retina models were non-upgradeable and had dispensed with Firewire? The MacFixIt article on which that piece was based is about six months old, and the issues don't end there.
Think I was the only one to mention the lack of FireWire on the new retina laptops. Not sure why you would assume because the lack of FireWire was only mentioned now that it was only noticed now. I must have cancelled my retina order at least 4 months ago.

With the rest of your post I agree wholeheartedly. Cannot run my studio on an iMac. Don't feel like buying a tower when it is 3 years old. Now I need an additional machine, not a replacement machine, and I have settled on a Mac mini. Hope it works out but I have no idea what I am going to do in the future.

It seems that computer development is currently aimed at tablets and for those of us needing to create content on higher end towers no solutions are being offered. Android is great, so is iOS actually, but for what it is meant, as a platform for consumption. Creation of content is another story.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #295
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Additionally, if you're a former Mac user who wants to migrate data, you can't use Apple's Migration Assistant with the Firewire adapter or even the Echo Express. This is because MA only supports firewire-to-firewire and thunderbolt-to-thunderbolt (USB isn't supported at all). The whole point of MA was to make moving from one machine to another transparent, so that all of your software and passwords are still recognized and usable. Effectively, Apple has sabotaged their own claim of seamlessness, meaning your choice is to create a disc image and transfer it from one machine to the other via USB 3.0.
You can mount the firewire disk with thunderbolt and the firewire adapter and then use the Migration Assistant to transfer data.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #296
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
Nope, Linux on the desktop never happened. Funny thing is, even Linux fanboys these days don't seem to care. Hundreds of millions of people use Linux every day and don't even know it. Why not let Windows have the crumbs?
Wow, talk about moving the goalposts!

First of all, it wasn't 10 years ago - as recently as 2009, Linux proponents were making big claims (30%+ marketshare) for Linux on netbooks/nettops.

Second, the big ideological push behind linux on the desktop was to introduce it to regular consumers and free them from dependence on proprietary, expensive programs like MS or OSX...in favor of a free OS that would run on older, cheaper computers. This has been a miserable failure, and it is not ameliorated by the fact that your toaster or microwave or DVD player or other electronic device uses Linux to run.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #297
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And though this is off topic, the problem with linux is there are/were too many factions and no central coordination. The reason O/S's succeed is because they have one common implementation and there are no configuration/installation issues. This just simply isn't true of Linux. Red Hat probably came the closest to make it standard but ....
Old 12-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #298
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And though this is off topic, the problem with linux is there are/were too many factions and no central coordination. The reason O/S's succeed is because they have one common implementation and there are no configuration/installation issues. This just simply isn't true of Linux. Red Hat probably came the closest to make it standard but ....
Another big issue was the lack of official drivers. I can't count the times I had to do manual surgery in the xorg.conf file to fix my broken display. Things have improved vastly, but it's not foolproof yet.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #299
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Another big issue was the lack of official drivers. I can't count the times I had to do manual surgery in the xorg.conf file to fix my broken display. Things have improved vastly, but it's not foolproof yet.
True also!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #300
kennyc

Latest numbers...claim is Apple has lost 14%

Quote:
Despite leading market share, Apple's tablet loses 14 percent due to emergence of Android competitors.

While Apple's iPad continues to account for a large proportion of the tablet market, Google's Android platform is increasingly decreasing the former's market share.

Various models of the iPad gave Apple a 55 percent market share of tablet shipments during the third quarter. According to data stemming from ABI Research, that figure represents a 14 percent decline from the second quarter, as well as being its lowest level since the iPad's inception in 2010.
As for Android's market share on smartphones, it's an entirely different outlook when compared to its fellow ecosystem. Google's platform accounted for for 72.4 percent of all smartphones sold during the third quarter, while iOS followed in a distant second place with a 13.9 percent share.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/And...ket,19375.html
Closed Thread