Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-02-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
vic
vic began at the beginning.

Question Large size PDFs - does iLiad allow scrolling ?

I'm pleased to find out that one has finally implemented neat idea to be able to write on electronic book while reading. Since college times I got the habit of leaving remarks right on the paper I read, and being able to do the same with electronic reader makes iLiad very attractive for me, although it looks a bit overpriced.

So I'm considering getting iLiad soon mostly for technical reading, but it would be nice addition to be able to read newspapers as well.
Guardian provides electronic version of their paper, I wonder if someone could try to render this document on iLiad and share your experience.

Since the document is large and cannot be viewed zoomed, I would expect that iLiad's PDF viewer would allow scrolling. But what concerns me - would scrolling be happening in reasonable time as the document looks to be quite complicated and might require considerable time to be re-displayed?

Thanks a lot!
Vic
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The iLiad allows to zoom and pan. Your document takes rather long to render on the iLiad at the moment (about 40 seconds). Unfortunately, the zoomlevel in the current software is restricted, so the maximum zoom into the document will still not produce a easily readable result (zoom takes 40s aswell). Unless you have good eyes and are willing to read the tiny font.

Once the document zoom is rendered, the panning is really quick (<1s update of screen)

So if iRex removes the zoom level resriction or at least raises its maximum zoom level, then you could read the paper on the iLiad.

Last edited by tribble; 12-02-2006 at 08:01 AM.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
The iLiad allows to zoom and pan. Your document takes rather long to render on the iLiad at the moment (about 40 seconds)...
The newspapers at http://www.guardian.co.uk/g24 are optimised for A4, and take around six seconds to open + render, and are (just about) readable without zoom.
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote