Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Check out a Kindle at the Library?

I did a double take when I saw this from my local library (small suburban town without ebooks). It said you could check it out, and it was loaded with a number of classic and new fiction and nonfiction.

Do you think the librarians know you cannot read most library books on a kindle? Not without some work, which I'm sure they would not provide. I can't see Amazon's marketing strategy. I know they want to get the Kindle out more places (e.g., Target), but people who frequent the library are probably not their biggest customer base.

Just seems kind of strange, to me.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
From your description it sounds like they've purchased a Kindle (probably several) set-up an Amazon account, and bought books from Amazon to put on the Kindles.... it doesn't sound like the Overdrive check-out system to me.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
My local library used to check out Rocket Ebook readers in a similar fashion. They were a hoot. I do wonder how long the Kindles will last with exposure to the general public.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
I do wonder how long the Kindles will last with exposure to the general public.
So do I.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm wondering why they bought a Kindle instead of buying a reader that supports ePub especially since the Kindle won't support any of the eBooks from Overdrive.

Seems a bit silly to me. I can see people trying the Kindle, liking it, buying it and then complaining big time to the library about not being able to load library ebooks.

Sydney's Mom ... I do think you should talk to the librarians about this and let them know what's really going on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The Kindles will get trashed when they get dropped into the overnight book deposit bin
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
The Kindles will get trashed when they get dropped into the overnight book deposit bin
They sealed those up in NYC after 9/11
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I suppose it is possible the Kindles were donated and that is how the decision was made.

Also, neither Macmillan or Simon and Schuster allow libraries to have their eBooks on Overdrive. Maybe the library made the decision to purchase digital readers to be able to supply those books to its patrons.

Libraries are experimenting with technology these days and there are many opinions on the correct path to take using Public funds. We have a librarian in our town who insists the only viable format is non DRM'd PDF and gets angry whenever anybody wants to "waste" money on ePub or mobi or Overdrive. Personally I'm kind of glad the decision just isn't hers.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Our library doesn't even participate in the Overdrive system. I agree with JSWolf - it would seem a Sony Reader, which can actually download library books, would be a better choice. But I can't see our library buying anything - so they probably were donated. Our overnight bins are still operational, and I suppose the kindles come with a cover. I wouldn't choose to put mine, even in its cover, in the overnight bin, but I am a little protective.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I know a local library in my area has several. It was when the Kindle2 first really took off in the news. I think the thought was to experiment with ebooks [not just Overdrive, even though that is an oversight on the library's part] and see what customers thought. If there was a big demand, they'd probably allocate larger portions of their budget to the overdrive system and ebooks.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can get Overdrive mobipocket books to work with the Kindle with a couple of command line moves. I don't think that's a good option for the general public. Of course, using pile of crappiness that is ADE isn't a good option for general public either. Ironically, it works better on a Linux box under WINE than it does on my Windows XP install. Yikes.

Luqman
Old 06-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #12
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

You can get Overdrive mobipocket books to work with the Kindle with a couple of command line moves. I don't think that's a good option for the general public. Of course, using pile of crappiness that is ADE isn't a good option for general public either. Ironically, it works better on a Linux box under WINE than it does on my Windows XP install. Yikes.

Luqman
Old 06-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Our library doesn't even participate in the Overdrive system. I agree with JSWolf - it would seem a Sony Reader, which can actually download library books, would be a better choice. But I can't see our library buying anything - so they probably were donated. Our overnight bins are still operational, and I suppose the kindles come with a cover. I wouldn't choose to put mine, even in its cover, in the overnight bin, but I am a little protective.
I'm so over protective that I don't even like anything put on top on my reader when the case is closed.

But I do think that a reader that allows borrowing library books is a lot better to have. I can see people liking the K2 and then buying one only to find out the restrictions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
orionpozo
orionpozo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader & Amazon Kindle
Libraries are exploring both Overdrive downloadable collections and loanable Kindles with preloaded titles. Both have advantages and disadvantages and neither is ideal.

NCSU Libraries is an academic library that has been using Kindles to provide a user-developed collection of popular titles for 2 years. Users get to pick the titles they want rather than what the library has purchased. You can see how this works in the one minute video How to Check Out a Kindle at the NCSU Libraries.
orionpozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks, that was useful. But does the library just buy any book I choose? Are there limits?