Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Build quaility

In my month here, I have never seen anyone suggest that the build quality of one brand's hardware is below average. And I have never seen a brand's hardware referred to as being above average.

Is it correct to say that the hardware of all the eBook readers are manufactured equally well?

Is the difference in build quality (assuming the same generation) only a matter of firmware?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
great topic!! I can say that the build quality of my K1 as well as the Sony readers I have handled are good. No case flexing or "plasticky feel" at all.

There were some early reviews of the Cool-er reader having a "cheap feel", but from what I've read, people seem happy enough.

I am so used to MgAlloy cases on my laptops & PDA's I took for granted that a $500 K1 would have come with a MgAlloy case, but nope...still it is solid with nice fit and finish.

I am willing to bet the multi-branded devices use the same cases and are pulled from the same component production runs. For smaller brands a custom case would be a large expense that could make them unable to compete in the market. As companies grow and others die off, we might begin to seem more differentiation based on build quality as we do with laptops/netbooks/tablets.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
In my month here, I have never seen anyone suggest that the build quality of one brand's hardware is below average. And I have never seen a brand's hardware referred to as being above average.

Is it correct to say that the hardware of all the eBook readers are manufactured equally well?

Is the difference in build quality (assuming the same generation) only a matter of firmware?
Build quality, in my opinion differs quite significantly.
Housing of Sony readers is aluminum for example. Most others simply are plastic.
But you might call this "quality of material" instead of "build quality".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Build quality, in my opinion differs quite significantly.
Housing of Sony readers is aluminum for example. Most others simply are plastic.
But you might call this "quality of material" instead of "build quality".
I don't know that case material alone matters for a reader. As an example there are the Kindles which, while they have a plastic case, it is a high end plastic and gives just as solid a feel as the Sony devices.

As long as the case has no flex and the seams are even (indicator of a quality build that should be solid but alone not a guarantee of a 'solid' device) I would think it is a matter of preference as to the feel of each material. Remember the Kindle is demo'd on the Amazon site dropped on a corner to show how durable it is...

I think for ereader devices, the interal frame matters a lot. A good frame paired with a well made case will give the torque resistance needed for the eink displays.

Maybe display flex might be a good indicator of better builds? I wonder if some displays will show more flex than others and this might make them more vulnerable to damage?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
Apart from Sony devices (505, 300 and 600) which have very good materials and build quality, I have a only handled BeBook personally and was totally unimpressed by material quality (it was build rather well though). Could not justify the price of 300 EUR for it at all.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
Apart from Sony devices (505, 300 and 600) which have very good materials and build quality, I have a only handled BeBook personally and was totally unimpressed by material quality (it was build rather well though). Could not justify the price of 300 EUR for it at all.
I've desribed BeBook as "cheap and plasticky" and have found quite a few reviews, stating the same.

Personal rating:

First class: Sonys (except Sony 300 because of "plastic framing"), Kindles, iRex iLiad.

Second class: Sony 300, iRex 1000S, Cybooks.

Third class: BeBook.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
Quote:
I've desribed BeBook as "cheap and plasticky" and have found quite a few reviews, stating the same.

Personal rating:

First class: Sonys (except Sony 300 because of "plastic framing"), Kindles, iRex iLiad.

why do you rate readers, with an iron case better than reader with plastic case??

the plastic cases can also be designed for more stability than the iron ones

plastic is also lighter, which i like much more than a bit stability
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
True, but the metal case is more solid if you use your reader to hit flies with it.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
True, but the metal case is more solid if you use your reader to hit flies with it.
Or re-roof your house...
Old 09-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
OK, let's put aside the debate between the merits of metal and plastic casings.

What about the guts? Are all the brands equally reliable? Do some have the reputation for quitting to work just after the warranty expires?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #11
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
That's a real issue. There simply aren't any long-term test results how durable and reliable the hardware components - mostly the screen - are.

eBook reading devices are way from being a price bargain, so I simply do hope today's devices still will be running in, say, for or five years. Or even more, since the thought of keeping a growing pile of electronic junk (PDAs, mobile phones, and possibly reading devices) in a crate isn't one I favor.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:43 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Personal rating:

It's interesting how perceptions differ. I would rate the build quality of the DR1000S considerably above that of the iLiad.

I would also rate the CyBook Opus above the CyBook Gen3. You can "bend" the Gen3, but the Opus is "solid".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
OK, let's put aside the debate between the merits of metal and plastic casings.

What about the guts? Are all the brands equally reliable? Do some have the reputation for quitting to work just after the warranty expires?
Honestly, I'm a bit worried about my Sony readers. I've had 2 Sony Notebooks - never again. I've talked to my hardware store. They showed me the guts of a Sony DVD player.
Quote of the hardware clerk: "Goods from their plant in ... all look the same. Disastrous quality."
But this doesn't seem to be the exception. I'm less than happy with my latest Apple products as well.
All going for the lowest price instead of quality.
If I've got the option, quite frankly I try to avoid "Made in ...".
Old 09-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's interesting how perceptions differ. I would rate the build quality of the DR1000S considerably above that of the iLiad.

I would also rate the CyBook Opus above the CyBook Gen3. You can "bend" the Gen3, but the Opus is "solid".
On my 1000S, upper and lower part don't even fit perfectly. I had it repaired, didn't see it before.
iLiad seems really solid and sturdy to me.
Opus is smaller and not as easy to bend as Gen3. But still, I hear it creaking when pressing or flexing a bit.