Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #46
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Dropping e-ink means losing the long battery life, which is a large part of the appeal of these readers. And backlighting is a mixed blessing--yes, it reads in the dark, but it's also hard on the eyes for a lot of people.
Although, keep in mind, as screen technology improves so will battery technology. It may be that in 3 to 5 years a reflexive LCD screen will look better than eink, be able to display video and last 100 hours on a single charge of the nifty fuel cell battery.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #47
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Although, keep in mind, as screen technology improves so will battery technology. It may be that in 3 to 5 years a reflexive LCD screen will look better than eink, be able to display video and last 100 hours on a single charge of the nifty fuel cell battery.

BOb
Oh, I hope so. But in the meantime, dropping e-ink to allow color & backlight is pretty much an even exchange of benefits; whether it's better or worse depends mostly on the individual's preferences.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #48
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I won't buy another reader without e-ink. To me it is THAT good compared to LCD. So if my 505 died tomorrow I would give the $299 K2 serious consideration. If you don't need e-ink there is a cornucopia of cheap long-battery-life portable PC's that would do the job. Going LCD, at least today, would kill the product IMO.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #49
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I won't buy another reader without e-ink. To me it is THAT good compared to LCD. So if my 505 died tomorrow I would give the $299 K2 serious consideration. If you don't need e-ink there is a cornucopia of cheap long-battery-life portable PC's that would do the job. Going LCD, at least today, would kill the product IMO.
The Jetbook's LCD screen is superior to any e-ink device today, both in terms of contrast and refresh rate. It has an estimated battery life of ~20 hours continuous usage, realistically long enough to satisfy everyone. And it can be bought for less than $200.

Last edited by akira28; 07-09-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #50
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
I don't believe the price drop will do much to spur Kindle sales, especially in these times. In order to have a significant, mainstream impact Amazon would have to:
  1. Drop the price below $200
  2. Drop the e-ink screen in favor of hi-density LCD to increase contrast levels, cure the screen flashing problem, give color and backlighting options, and reduce manufacturing cost.
  3. Drop ebook prices to make them an incentive to purchase the hardware
  4. Drop the DRM protection
  5. Drop any control over materials already in the users possession
  6. Separate Kindle accounts from Amazon.com accounts
  7. Add user replaceable battery
Hmm, I suspect you are not in their target demographic.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #51
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Oh, I hope so. But in the meantime, dropping e-ink to allow color & backlight is pretty much an even exchange of benefits; whether it's better or worse depends mostly on the individual's preferences.
Actually the competing LCD screen do not have color or backlight. Read about reflective LCD in the wiki. All LCD screens are not alike.

Dale
Old 07-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #52
Ryanfromvisalia
Ryanfromvisalia began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505LC / Kindle 2
Hey Everyone! Just wanted to let you guys know that I just called Kindle Customer Service and they refunded me the $60 difference. My fiance bought me a K2 last week. I called them up a few minutes ago after noticing the price drop and they promptly refunded me the difference. *Woot Woot!*
Ryanfromvisalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #53
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
I don't believe the price drop will do much to spur Kindle sales, especially in these times. In order to have a significant, mainstream impact Amazon would have to:
  1. Drop the price below $200
  2. Drop the e-ink screen in favor of hi-density LCD to increase contrast levels, cure the screen flashing problem, give color and backlighting options, and reduce manufacturing cost.
  3. Drop ebook prices to make them an incentive to purchase the hardware
  4. Drop the DRM protection
  5. Drop any control over materials already in the users possession
  6. Separate Kindle accounts from Amazon.com accounts
  7. Add user replaceable battery
Price drop will increase sales, it always does. Nice list btw. It summed up all the pain we are having.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #54
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Computer World posted this article on the price reduction http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._pm_2009-07-09

It says in part:
Quote:
True, the Kindle remains light years ahead of the competition both in its interface quality and in its integration with an online storefront. But now it has company: the Sony Digital Reader PRS-700 ($350) and the Sony Digital Reader PRS-505 ($280), as well as lesser-known alternatives like the Interead Cool-er Books ($249) and the Astak EZ Reader ($270). Though the latter two products aren't as well implemented, they cost less than even the reduced-price Kindle 2. Their very existence as low-end alternatives challenges Amazon's stranglehold on the e-book market. In addition, they work with PDB- and ePub-based books, which opens up the market beyond Amazon's walled-off Kindle garden.
Dale
Old 07-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #55
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Quote:
the Astak EZ Reader ($270). Though the latter two products aren't as well implemented, they cost less than even the reduced-price Kindle 2
thats going to make robertb sad
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #56
bully23
bully23 began at the beginning.

Device: IPAQ 2945, Clie TH55, prs-500
Thanks, buddy.

I called the # and got my$60. Good luck with everyone who bought Kindle 2 over recent 30 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_mommy View Post
I called customer service (1-866-216-1072) and said "I bought the Kindle two weeks ago and now I see the price has dropped. I'd like to see if I can get the difference back." The customer service dude said "hold on, let me see what I can do... Normally we don't give back price differences, but for this we've made an exception. I'll refund you the difference of $60."

That was it. This morning, the $60 is back on my credit card.
bully23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #57
lovestoreadalot
Connoisseur
lovestoreadalot began at the beginning.

Last edited by lovestoreadalot; 09-15-2010 at 09:12 AM.
lovestoreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #58
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I agree about the e-ink screen vs. the LCD. By the end of my workday, I'm tired of looking at my 3 LCD monitors and am very happy to sit in my recliner and read on the e-ink screen.

However, were my Sony 505 to die tomorrow I'd send it back to Sony (I bought the extended warranty ). If it truly died and I couldn't send it back to Sony under warranty , I still wouldn't consider a Kindle. High on my list of requirements are the number and type of formats that a device can read, and my number 1 priority is that the device be able to handle ePub, followed by various other formats. Not even on my radar screen is a locked in wireless, although I would consider wi-fi or some more open wireless capability that let me access bookstores of my choosing.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #59
sl33py
sl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with others

Device: K2i, K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
It is interesting if customers who purchased Kindle for $359.95 can get $60 refund...
5 min phone call and got the $60 refund w/o a problem. : D
sl33py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #60
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Doesn't reading scrolling text make people dizzy? I never understood that requested feature.

BOb
Use it all the time on my nx73v Clie...combined with the thumb/jog dial/wheel it is a must have sorta feature. It's the sort of thing and until you actually try it out for a bit you think is it about as needless a feature as can be. I know I felt that way initially...thought it was as dumb as dishwater...now I really miss it when using the N800 to read.

I am sure some folks will get a bit of vertigo but most likely because they are scrolling too fast. With the jog-wheel one can control the speed instantly. If I find I am having to move my eyes up (scrolling too fast) or down (scrolling too slow, I just move the dial a click or two in the needed direction.

I don't see eink displays having that ability for a looooong time, unless something new has come along since my last visit here a couple months ago.

Still, at the same time it's not a feature for everyone. Then again I am sure there are features each individual wants/likes that others find no desire to use. It is just nice to have the option.

I will say if it is not scrolling, I probably would have a hard time with automated page turns because there would likely be no way to keep an eye on reading too fast or slow.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote