Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
bookstar
Noobie
bookstar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Today I purchased a 505, Happy times!

Hello,

I purchased a 505 today and I am very pleased with the reader. I found it very easy to transfer my books over. I havnt installed the bundled sony software yet, instead I used Calibre. One thing I have found, the device can be quite slow at times. I found that when I tried to zoom in on text, it took quite a while to update. I would say a good 4 or 5 seconds. I believe this isnt the case once I had zoomed a few times. I tried both transfereing to SD and to the internal memory and both had the same issue. Page turning doesnt seem to be a problem. The format of the books are LRF, are other formats quicker? I havnt had a huge time to get to grips with the kit yet, so far I am really liking it. The next step is to try and clean up the main menu at some stage, theres a few menu items that I wouldnt use and like to remove (for the time being anyway) such as the audio menus.

I also tried converting a manga as a test. I used the Comiclrf tool, amazing results, I was very impressed. Not only can I read novels, I can now read the odd manga.

So far I am extreemly happy. I purchased the Silver version to go with my Vaio.
bookstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Congrats on your new 505!

I have a silver 505 too and I love it. Can't imagine my life without it now (and I've only had it a couple months!)

Happy reading!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Enjoy your great toy. What color did you get? I've got the blue which is far superior to the silver, at least according to the SOBSR
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Uh, sorry, but what is SOBSR?
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookstar View Post
One thing I have found, the device can be quite slow at times. I found that when I tried to zoom in on text, it took quite a while to update. I would say a good 4 or 5 seconds. I believe this isnt the case once I had zoomed a few times. I tried both transfereing to SD and to the internal memory and both had the same issue. Page turning doesnt seem to be a problem. The format of the books are LRF, are other formats quicker? I havnt had a huge time to get to grips with the kit yet, so far I am really liking it.
I think (someone may correct me on this) that if you load a LRF file using the Sony software it will fix the lagging experienced with changing text sizes. If you do get around to loading the Sony software you can test a few documents to verify this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookstar View Post
The next step is to try and clean up the main menu at some stage, theres a few menu items that I wouldnt use and like to remove (for the time being anyway) such as the audio menus.
I have never tried but not sure if you can remove those menu items.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Good choice bookstar, enjoy
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
Uh, sorry, but what is SOBSR?
"Society of Owners of Blue Sony Readers" Thought everyone knew that. Well, maybe not quite everyone since I just made it up.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Well my new faction, the SOSSO are now coming ta get ya! Society of Oblivious Silver Sony Owners. By our sheer numbers (and the fact that I didn't have a choice of colour where i bought mine from, damnit) we will vanquish the SOBSR!

Oh, and welcome to the forums Bookstar
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
"Society of Owners of Blue Sony Readers" Thought everyone knew that. Well, maybe not quite everyone since I just made it up.
Sign me up

I have the *BLUE* 505 and was told that the *BLUE* one "makes you smarter"

Since I don' have to wear my glasses when I read on the *BLUE* 505, it MUST be true

dreams
member of SOBSR
cassidym-High *BLUE* leader

P.S. (Now that I think about it) That SOBSR could mean something else depending on how I feel about my Sony when frustrated

Last edited by dreams; 03-24-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: oops spelling error only one I hope - just ignore the grammar
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oops, lost my welcome post somewhere...

Welcome to MR, bookstar!

Don't forget to check out all the free e-books here on MR. They are very well hand-formatted by members on this forum and, in my opinion, they are much better than the ones I downloaded from Sony. Along with the lrf, try the epub e-books also.

Enjoy your new toy!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Well my new faction, the SOSSO are now coming ta get ya! Society of Oblivious Silver Sony Owners. By our sheer numbers (and the fact that I didn't have a choice of colour where i bought mine from, damnit) we will vanquish the SOBSR!
Hummmm I thought that SOS was something else.

Like... HELP (the) Silver Ones
Old 03-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Hummmm I thought that SOS was something else.

Like... HELP (the) Silver Ones

I haven't even got mine yet and already I'm behind the fashion Oh well, my silver one will go nice with my distressed flares, disco 45's and mirror ball
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post

Oh, and welcome to the forums Bookstar
Figures the silver owners would call themselves something that sounds like 'So So'
Old 03-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
*BLUE* READERS UNITE!!!!
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Quote:
"Society of Owners of Blue Sony Readers"
Well then count me in! But I thought we went by "Benevolent Order of Blue Sonys" (aka "BOoBS.")

Whatever...
snape is offline   Reply With Quote