Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you keep backups of your important contacts?
Yes, I regularly backup my mobile phone and/or my PDA 7 63.64%
No, losing my contact data would mean losing all my friends ;( 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Mobile users don't keep backups of important numbers

According to a research study, I read at vnunet.com today, more than one in three UK mobile phone users worry that they would lose touch with friends and contacts if they lost their mobile phones:

Over half of mobile users do not have a separate address book, and one in five use their mobile as their only record of phone numbers, according to research commissioned by mobile network services company Intervoice. But the study also claims that over half of mobile users have either lost or had a phone stolen within the past three years, and a quarter have lost two or more phones in the same period.

We all know by now that Paris Hilton doesn't have to worry about losing her contacts; but what about yourself? Do you keep backups of your important contacts?

This is a poll, so please feel free to vote.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
It's all stored on my Clie and my laptop. But I rarely even use phones for anything, so it's the e-mail addresses that I'd worry about more (although most I could find again with ease if I lost them).
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I regularly HotSync my Zodiac2...

...and my phone's contacts are sent to it via iSync from my Mac's Address Book (even though I use Palm Desktop as my PIM.) As a redundancy, I use Backup to send my data to my external hard drive. And I backup my Zodiac2 to the SD card about once a week.

My mother fell into that trap of losing her contacts because her phone went on the fritz and she hadn't been HotSync-ing her Zire71 because of some reason (also hadn't been making SD card backups) and her laptop's hard drive went down at the same time. She was unable to call most of her people because she hadn't been keeping up with her backups an HotSyncs. She's since miraculously been able to regain most of her contacts and such, but it was a scary enough position to be in that I try to back up more often myself.

Somewhat on-topic: Of course, now I think I just screwed up my external harddrive because now it's registering as "Unable to recognize...", so I still have more to learn re: backups, but at least my contacts and such are unaffected. Just 60GB of music and movies down the drain. Do you guys think all is lost, or is there some kind of software magic that can help this thing get re-recognized again? I promise I'll back it up to DVD this time. I swear.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I activesync my database details to outlook every time I connect to my pc. I also run a daily FULL backup of the PDA, which has saved my bacon several times now. The SD card gets backed up to HD once every one or two weeks, or when I remember to

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:31 AM   #5
drc54
Enthusiast
drc54 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm m515, now TX
Same here, just do my normal Palm HotSync daily, supposedly it makes a backup copy if my M515 dies one day. I do run EasySync Pro to sync my calendar with the company's endorsed Lotus Notes e-mail system that I use. Tried to sync my address book as well, but it turned out to be ugly. Haven't really explore other ways to get just the essential to be synchronized.

For my mobile phone, once every month or so, will do a backup to my PC. But the lazy part is backing up my PC. I do that once every 3 months or so by burning a couple of DVD's of just my important files. I think I need to be more rigour in doing my backup.
drc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert