Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-30-2014, 01:48 AM   #1
nknouf
Enthusiast
nknouf began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96 Universe
M96 Questions

So I received my M96 today and am quite happy with it so far. Just trying to set some things up to make it the best device, and I have a few questions. I'm new to e-readers and ebooks, but not to Android devices, so pardon some of the somewhat newbie questions:
  1. I purchased the Arta Tech version of the M96 from Amazon. I've read through the threads on this forum, but I'm still not clear if it's possible to flash the Booxter ROM on the Arta Tech; has anyone tested this yet? (The Arta Tech ROM is dated 2014-09-12.) If I do flash the Booxter ROM, I will lose the Ivona TTS, correct?
  2. In my version of the Onyx Neo Reader, PDF annotations are not saved in the file. Have people found this to be the case with the Arta Tech ROM? Is this fixed in the latest Booxter ROM?
  3. Is it possible to setup Moon+ Reader Pro to use the directional stick to move forward and backwards a page, and to increase/decrease the font size, as in the Onyx Neo Reader?
  4. I prefer to use ezPDF for PDF reading and annotations. Has anyone been able to configure it to use the directional stick to move forward and backward a page?
  5. If I sync my epubs using Calibre, will the annotations I make on the M96 be synced with my Calibre installation on my laptop (running OS X)? If not, is there any easy way to have these annotations synced?

Thanks for all the help, and thanks for all of the info that's already in this forum!
nknouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
nknouf
Enthusiast

Responding to one of my own questions (#5) above, it appears as if general and more open ePub annotations are still a work in progress (even in 2014). Two competing standards seem to exist (http://www.openannotation.org/ and http://www.idpf.org/epub/oa/).

I've discovered that I can setup Moon+ Reader Pro to sync my annotations and reading position, but they're saved in its proprietary format.

So until there is some consensus on annotations and support in e-readers, I'm still interested in knowing if there is some e-reader software that will write annotations in a text-based sidecar-type file at the time of me making an annotation, so that I don't have to remember to export annotations later.
Advert
Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #3
nknouf
Enthusiast

And now I have another question: has anyone been able to change the font size in Pocket? I can bring up the font manipulation sub menu while reading a text, but it doesn't respond to my stylus taps at all, and it seems as if there is no global font size setting. Because of the large size of the M96, the font size is a wee bit too small...
Old 01-06-2015, 04:57 AM   #4
fuli42
fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.

Device: Bokeen Odyssey, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx M96, Onyx i86
I have exactly the same problem with the font sizing in the Pocket app. I have reported it to Pocket support.
fuli42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #5
fuli42
fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.

Device: Bokeen Odyssey, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx M96, Onyx i86
Quote:
Originally Posted by nknouf View Post
And now I have another question: has anyone been able to change the font size in Pocket? I can bring up the font manipulation sub menu while reading a text, but it doesn't respond to my stylus taps at all, and it seems as if there is no global font size setting. Because of the large size of the M96, the font size is a wee bit too small...
It's very buggy, but in fact it IS possible. I just don't know how exactly, this is how I did it:

1. Click on the style menu ONCE
2. Wait about 5 seconds until the panel opens up
3. Try clicking on the "-" or "+" or the setting you want to change. It won't work for the first time but if you persist it will eventually register the change.

I've found that the sans serif font works better with the lower res display of the M96.
fuli42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert