Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Kindle Fire (1st gen and 2nd gen) now officially CyanogenMod supported

10.1 nightlies are now officially supported for the standard definition Kindle Fires, So if you're curious about rooting and flashing ROMs to get a more stock Android experience, here are the official links for them, you'll still need to go about installing TWRP/CWR beforehand with the Kindle Utility that's over at XDA:

1st Generation:
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=otter

2nd Generation:
http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=otter2

NOTE: Nightlies are not generally unstable. They might have a few quirks here and there, but it's mostly due to the CyanogenMod base being added onto every day. You could have something show up one day, and gone the next. Developers have to have drivers 100% ready before thy are able to get supported and listed on their repo.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"hey might have a few quirks here and there, but it's mostly due to the CyanogenMod base being added onto every day. You could have something show up one day, and gone the next
."

which is why I would never bother with such a modification/hack
to me it seems you would spend half your time tinkering about with the operating system
and chasing down the latest patch to fix what got broken by the last patch etc etc instead of consuming & enjoying your mobile content

and for what??

just to be able to go into esoteric online user forums and announce you are running CMOD7 on such & such device.

Umm no thanks I shall settle for Golauncher EX with my wall changer app sitting on top of the Stock Amazon Firmware.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
That's only the case in the beginning. I'm actually on a monthly snapshot of CM on my phone at the moment. No problems.

I kept going back to the Amazon ROM for a reason though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
Good to know, maybe I'll try ^_^
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
."

which is why I would never bother with such a modification/hack
to me it seems you would spend half your time tinkering about with the operating system
and chasing down the latest patch to fix what got broken by the last patch etc etc instead of consuming & enjoying your mobile content

and for what??

just to be able to go into esoteric online user forums and announce you are running CMOD7 on such & such device.

Umm no thanks I shall settle for Golauncher EX with my wall changer app sitting on top of the Stock Amazon Firmware.
I'm a firm believer in sticking with ROMs that are based on the stock firmware (not just for the Fire, but for all devices with custom ROMs). The stock firmware has drivers that have been optimized for the hardware and I have yet to see any non-stock-based ROM perform as well or trouble-free.

Having said that, I appreciate that the Fires (1st and 2nd gen) are receiving attention from the CM development community. That's a good thing.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
More CM goodness. Always good to know.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
I rooted and installed a custom ROM on my KF1, and while it made it a much better tablet, I regretted the loss of the Amazon ecosystem that the KF is really made for.

I love my KF2 and will not be rooting it. I have a rooted Android cell phone and a Nexus 7 if I want an open Android tablet. But I find I use the KF2 a lot - in the stock configuration - and specifically for easy access to the Amazon content it was made to deliver.

IMO, if you want a non KF tablet, go buy one. There's a ton on the market, and many are quite good and inexpensive.

You get a KF to access Amazon content.

That's the obvious choice, and I'm happy with my stock KF2 as is.

Last edited by goggin; 03-17-2013 at 10:21 AM.
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'm a firm believer in sticking with ROMs that are based on the stock firmware (not just for the Fire, but for all devices with custom ROMs). The stock firmware has drivers that have been optimized for the hardware and I have yet to see any non-stock-based ROM perform as well or trouble-free.

Having said that, I appreciate that the Fires (1st and 2nd gen) are receiving attention from the CM development community. That's a good thing.
Unfortunately this is not the case for the Otter (Kindle Fire 1st Gen).

Their USB driver hobbles the transfer speeds, and their driver that handles the charging is also pretty bad.

Not to mention the completely disabled light sensor and various other items. To be honest the stock firmware for the Otter is a mess.

I'm going to look a bit more closely at 6.3.2 since it is out and see if they improved things, but I'm not all that hopeful.

Part of the work that Hashcode put into getting Otter onto CM builds was based around fixing many of those issues. It was a monumental piece of work to get it to a point where it was allowed to be officially on CM.
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
I'm using SmoothROM http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2103278

Works just fine. No problems so far.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote