Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
rstoothoff
rstoothoff began at the beginning.

Device: none
Making an .azw3 file available

Thanks to Calibre, I created decent-looking .mobi and .azw3 files from an InDesign-based .epub file. (Calibre delivered the goods, whereas both Kindlegen and the InDesign plug-in did not.) I downloaded the .mobi file to Amazon, and the book is now in the Kindle store, but only (so far as I can tell) in the .mobi format. KDP won't upload the .azw3 (KF8) file. So how can I make that available in the Kindle store?
rstoothoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Not all Kindles can use the .azw3 format, so .mobi is better, anyway.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoothoff View Post
Thanks to Calibre, I created decent-looking .mobi and .azw3 files from an InDesign-based .epub file. (Calibre delivered the goods, whereas both Kindlegen and the InDesign plug-in did not.) I downloaded the .mobi file to Amazon, and the book is now in the Kindle store, but only (so far as I can tell) in the .mobi format. KDP won't upload the .azw3 (KF8) file. So how can I make that available in the Kindle store?
Unpack the azw3 and use Kindlegen on it. That will give a combined file with both AZW3 and Mobi in it. But the Mobi might not be as well formatted as the calibre-produced mobi.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
rstoothoff

Thanks for the suggestion, Grand Mouse. But how do I unpack the .azw3 file? I have Mobi_Unpack_v047: do I just drop the .azw3 onto the Mobi_Unpack.pyw icon? Then what do I do? I've found that Calibre does a much better job of converting .epub to Kindle than Kindlegen does (i.e. using Kindle Previewer). And as for the InDesign plug-in, well the latest version is better than earlier ones, but it's still pretty flaky (flakey?)
Old 11-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoothoff View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Grand Mouse. But how do I unpack the .azw3 file? I have Mobi_Unpack_v047: do I just drop the .azw3 onto the Mobi_Unpack.pyw icon? Then what do I do? I've found that Calibre does a much better job of converting .epub to Kindle than Kindlegen does (i.e. using Kindle Previewer). And as for the InDesign plug-in, well the latest version is better than earlier ones, but it's still pretty flaky (flakey?)
Double-click the Mobi_Unpack.pyw script. In the dialog, select the file to be unpacked and any options (none needed, I think).

Run the unpacked azw3 through kindlegen. The resulting file should have a KF*/azw3 part pretty much identical to the original, and a mobi generated from it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
rstoothoff

The latest version of Calibre seems to solve the problem by converting the .epub file into a combined file.