Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
linnx88
Enthusiast
linnx88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre problems with Kindle Paperwhite Articles and HOW TO use a workaround!!

Hi all,

I seem to have found a bug in the latest Calibre 0.9.3 version. It has to do with downloading news or magazine articles and having calibre convert it into a Kindle article.

For example, I tried downloading MSDN Magazine for this month using a built-in recipe. That works fine. Calibre converted it to the mobi format and then uploaded it to my KPW. Now in my KPW, when I tried opening the article, I got an error: Error: Cannot open this file. If you got it from Amazon, delete it and redownload it from cloud.

That's not the exact wording of the error, because I don't have it anymore, but that's very close to what you'll see.

If you're suffering from this, here's a workaround that I've found.
  1. Click and hold the article name with your finger to get the sub menu for the current item.
  2. You will see the additional menu. On this menu, select: Go To Sections & Articles.
  3. Profit! The article should display fine now and when you go back to it from the home menu, it'll open up just fine, you won't have to invoke the submenu again.

So I don't know if this is a kindle paperwhite issue or an issue with calibre's output of the article, but it's there and will cause a lot of strain for users. Would love to hear from Kovid if he knows anything about this issue. Or perhaps Kindle is to blame, and then you can use this workaround for now.

Hope this helps.
linnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@linnx88: On a wild guess, I'd say you somehow ended up with newsfeed built in KF8 (AZW3) by Calibre... What's your default/preferred output format?

If it's AZW3, it should automatically fallback to MOBI, but if you have, in the MOBI output settings, the mobi file type option set to 'both' (mobi7+KF8) or 'new' (KF8) instead of 'old', I'm not quite sure what happens, and you may very well end up with a KF8 file. Which doesn't work for periodicals (and isn't supposed to, FWIW) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
linnx88
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@linnx88: On a wild guess, I'd say you somehow ended up with newsfeed built in KF8 (AZW3) by Calibre... What's your default/preferred output format?

If it's AZW3, it should automatically fallback to MOBI, but if you have, in the MOBI output settings, the mobi file type option set to 'both' (mobi7+KF8) or 'new' (KF8) instead of 'old', I'm not quite sure what happens, and you may very well end up with a KF8 file. Which doesn't work for periodicals (and isn't supposed to, FWIW) .
Hi NiLuJe,

I just checked, and my mobi output is set to "old" format. So everything should be fine. I checked the news files on my Kindle and they're in "pobi" format. Which I take it is just like mobi, but for (p)ublications? Any other ideas? And like I mentioned above, they do open, but only through the sub-menu, otherwise you get an error the first time you try to open them. They open just fine with Calibre or Kindle-PC.

Last edited by linnx88; 10-23-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@linnx88: Yeah, the Touch/PW renames periodicals to .pobi during cataloging .

Just to confirm: you get the 'error' popup when opening the 'book' (periodical), or when opening some parts of the book (articles) once it's open?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
linnx88
Enthusiast

Quote:
@linnx88: Yeah, the Touch/PW renames periodicals to .pobi during cataloging .

Just to confirm: you get the 'error' popup when opening the 'book' (periodical), or when opening some parts of the book (articles) once it's open?
The error appears when you attempt to open the periodical from the Home page for the first time. After I open it from the submenu, it opens fine from the home page.
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@linnx88: Okay, thanks .

Just to make sure it's indeed not a KF8 issue, check that said periodical is really an 'old' mobi (with this tool, for example).
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
linnx88
Enthusiast

Quote:
@linnx88: Okay, thanks .

Just to make sure it's indeed not a KF8 issue, check that said periodical is really an 'old' mobi (with this tool, for example).
NiLuJe,

Here's the result I got from my article after scanning with the above tool .
Starting...
MSDN Magazine 1 - calibre.mobi is a MOBI-only ebook.

Last edited by linnx88; 10-26-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@linnx88: Hmm, not a KF8 then.

Well, no other idea then, sorry . The only other thing I can say is that I haven't run into this kind of issues with calibre newsfeeds on mine .
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
linnx88
Enthusiast

Quote:
@linnx88: Hmm, not a KF8 then.

Well, no other idea then, sorry . The only other thing I can say is that I haven't run into this kind of issues with calibre newsfeeds on mine .
NiLuJe,

Could you do me a favor and try to open the following file on your Kindle Paperwhite? It's the MSDN mag I was talking about. Just see what it says when you try to open it from the home page just by clicking on it. File attached.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi MSDN Magazine June 2007 C# - calibre.mobi (2.82 MB, 337 views)
Old 10-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@linnx88: Thanks, I'll check on my army of Kindles and get back to you .
Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
linnx88
Enthusiast

Any updates?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep. It completely slipped my mind, sorry! I'll try to test this before the end of the week (and/or I forget about it again... ^^).
Old 11-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I just tried it and got your same error message:

Quote:
Error: Cannot open this file. If you got it from Amazon, delete it and redownload it from cloud.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote