Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
drendo70
drendo70 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3
sync over wifi! / sftp on your kindle

use the usbnetworking hack provided in earlier threads.

add the attached file to the bin folder of the usbnet - kindle should be in USB mode when doing this.

ssh into your kindle
copy sftp-server to /usr/libexec/

reboot your device and woila you can now access your kindles filesystem over wifi and sync that way. (use the IP)

on mac use transmit 4 or macfusion to automatically mount the kindle for your

I've succeffully modded the usbnetworking to always run the sshd and sftp-server so its the best of both worlds.

remeber to setup your intial path in your sftp / sshfs app to /mnt/us/

the ./rsync in bin is then imminently suitable for automatically syncing your kindle WHEREEVER there is internet via wifi (right now mine syncs to dropbox....)

-dreno
Attached Files
File Type: zip sftp-server.zip (24.7 KB, 2125 views)

Last edited by drendo70; 09-23-2010 at 09:02 AM.
drendo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Ged_uk
Enthusiast
Ged_uk began at the beginning.

Device: K3-3G, HTC HD2
Yep syncing over wifi is super useful, I've just been using scp rather than installing a sftp deamon. I was even copying books to my kindle from work the other day when I had left it at home, only downside had to get my wife to wake it up
G
Ged_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
In case you missed it, I've updated the USBNet package to support sftp, wifi (with proper password/pubkey auth enabled, so no gaping security hole), and shared keys ssh auth.

Here I come, pretty passwordless sshfs over wifi \o/.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-26-2010 at 11:25 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
bquast
bquast began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks very useful functionality.

I was wondering if there are any battery issues with keeping the server running. Would it be possible to start and stop the server using a GUI Launcher?

Last edited by bquast; 02-20-2012 at 10:15 AM.
bquast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
buscon
buscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it is

Device: Kindle touch
Hi,

i've just installed your tool but it doesn't seem to work.
If i try to run it from the shell:
[root@kindle root]# /usr/libexec/sftp-server
/usr/libexec/sftp-server: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

does anyone has the same problem ?
buscon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@buscon: Use the one from the K4 usbnet package. (You'll have to extract it via KindleTool, or live with the K2/K3 binary from the src folder).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #7
buscon
buscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it isbuscon knows what time it is

thanks for your answer.
where can i find the k2/k3 binary ?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
buscon

Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
this is really handy, thanks!
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #10
buscon

@Hippy dave: where can you find the binary ?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscon View Post
@Hippy dave: where can you find the binary ?
i extracted it from the usbnetworking package, here it is:
Attached Files
File Type: zip sftp-server_k4_binary.zip (27.0 KB, 293 views)
Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
buscon

Thank you very much, it works now
I still don't understand where's the k4 binaries are... :P
Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
hippy dave
Zealot

it was inside the update_usbnetwork_0.39.N_k4_install.bin file, i had to run kindletool to extract that into loads of files then find the right one. glad it's working for you
Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
buscon

ok, good to know, thank you again!