Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
useroo
useroo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Smooth workflow from HTML to Sigil epub

I am relatively new to Sigil and the process of producing an eBook with Sigil and epub files, so, if my findings lack better knowledge please correct me so i can improve myself.
Here i would just like to write down the work flow that i found to produce the smootest result in the simplest possible way.

I may have to add that i am a professional web designer, so i can joggle HTML and work with the common HTML editors better than with Sigil or some word processing or any other software that could be used to produce well designed books / eBooks.

So, i start out with my old HTML WYSIWYG editor and work myself through 1 full chapter, text layout and images included, simply the works so that it looks like a book.

Once i have saved this chapter in HTML i open it via right click (Windows) in a new seperate Sigil window - and safe it instantly as a epub file (unless some stuff from the layout still needs some finishing touches that is).

Now i open my unfinished multi chapter eBook again in it's own Sigil window and go to the last existing chapter, set the cursor at the very end of it and hit Sigil's "Insert > Chapter Break" menu item.
I get a new blank xhtml page.

Now i go back to the second Sigil window and copy the entire chapter that i saved in the epub format - than simply paste it straight into the blank new xhtml window of Sigil window No. 2 - eh voila, safe it and you have the next chapter finished in your book.

Why go around the bend with saving the original html first as epub before the copy and paste??
This way i get everything transported as it already looks in the epub file format. If i just open the HTML file or copy and paste thereof i migt end up with this or that layout (styling) surprise, or, the images don't follo along.

Well, that seems to be all to get an eBook up and running in the right order, for the other how-to's there's still the Sigil original tuts.
useroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If you go to the left column where the files are listed you can just right click and then select new and you will get a new file just after the one you clicked on. Much easier than moving to the last of the page you are on and then inserting a chapter break.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert