Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Best E-reader on the market?

Hiya all,

I've been so happy with my Cybook Bookeen 3gen. that I'd like to see if I could find an even better e-book reader. But I'd rather not pay for small incremental differences.

My priorities are:

1. Screen quality, I'd like if I could find a screen with a noticeable quality difference, like 2nd. gen e-ink.
2. Screen Size, would like a bit larger screen if possible. 8", 9" etc.
3. Page turn speed, I think that's one of the areas the cybook is a bit sluggish with, so faster page turns would definitely be nice.

As for formats, most my book collection is DRM free Mobi or PRC with 10% PDF. Calibre has been a real champ converting for me. I get most my books from Gutenberg, Baen Free library and Fictionwise, so I don't prioritize access to an online bookstore very much.

I'm currently looking at the Kindle DX and the Sony daily edition, but worry that the kindle has too many handicaps and the Sony won't be a noticeable quality/size jump.

Hope any of you can help me, and thanks a lot for your time and interest.

Cheers

Leyor
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't know of any 8 or 9 inch screens. The Kindle DXG is 9 inches and something really close to 10 inches. The Sony 950 is 7 inches.

What handicaps do you think the Kindle has? I love mine but I use it for reading and only reading.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You already have a device with a 2nd generation eInk screen. The only better screens currently available are the 3rd generation "Pearl" screens. Currently only Amazon and Sony devices have these.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
From the priorities you list, I think your best bet is the Kindle 3 DX. It's slightly larger than 9", but it's got the Pearl screen, and it should do PDFs just fine.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I'll let the Sony PRS and Kindle owners slug this one out, but my recommendation would be the kindle. My Libra Pro's page turning speed can be a little sluggish at times, so its not the best bet.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Sony is way faster and the touchscreen makes a difference you can not imagine. It makes the reading experience so much more natural that I don't care the least bit for PB any more.

Try it, you won't regret it!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that the OP has a primarily Mobi library,the Kindle would be the sensible option. I'd suggest getting one and trying it out. Amazon have a generous 30-day return policy, so you can always return it if you don't like it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that the OP has a primarily Mobi library,the Kindle would be the sensible option. I'd suggest getting one and trying it out. Amazon have a generous 30-day return policy, so you can always return it if you don't like it.
Given that it takes 5sec to convert a book in Calibre that is no argument. He says most of his collection is DRM free.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Hi again, and thanks for all the feedback already

Quote:
What handicaps do you think the Kindle has? I love mine but I use it for reading and only reading.
It's really great to hear that your enjoying yours, the drawbacks I read about was very reduced battery life and uncomfortable button placement for pageturns etc. Is that something anyones had any experience with?

Quote:
The Sony is way faster and the touchscreen makes a difference you can not imagine. It makes the reading experience so much more natural that I don't care the least bit for PB any more.
Does the Sony have a noticable faster pageturn than both Cybook and Kindle? I think my main worry with the sony is that it won't be a noticeable improvement.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, to hear your positive experinces is removing alot of my uneasy. With Calibre formats not a problem, so it's really all about the quality experience of reading a book on the device.

I guess its down to the Sony or Kindle, so which one would be best for my needs?
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyor View Post
Hi again, and thanks for all the feedback already

It's really great to hear that your enjoying yours, the drawbacks I read about was very reduced battery life and uncomfortable button placement for pageturns etc. Is that something anyones had any experience with?

Does the Sony have a noticable faster pageturn than both Cybook and Kindle? I think my main worry with the sony is that it won't be a noticeable improvement.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, to hear your positive experinces is removing alot of my uneasy. With Calibre formats not a problem, so it's really all about the quality experience of reading a book on the device.

I guess its down to the Sony or Kindle, so which one would be best for my needs?
I think pageturns are pretty comparable on all of the latest ebook models, at least from the big manufacturers.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My DXG lasts about three weeks on a single charge and I find the buttons to be fine. If I want to turn pages with my left hand I simply rotate the DX and I use the buttons on the left.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Based on your priorities the only device which has most of them is the Kindle DX:

-9" screen's size
-Pearl screen
-Native PDF support

It also support most of your collection without any extra or additional conversion via Calibre.

I read a lot and my DXG gives me about 14 to 20 days with just one charge.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-09-2011 at 01:01 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #13
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Given that it takes 5sec to convert a book in Calibre that is no argument. He says most of his collection is DRM free.
This really depends on how many books he has to convert. I would think that the optimal situation would be to not have to do a conversion at all.

And from everything I've read, a touchscreen (whether we're talking e-ink or not) makes the display slightly less crisp than an e-ink screen w/o a touchscreen layer. The OP talked about the quality of the display, but not about the interface as a barrier.

I think the best course of action is to see the Sony Reader in person, and then to buy the Kindle DX (assuming you can't find someone who has one to demo it for you) and try it out. Return the DX if you don't like it, and buy the Sony Reader.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:47 AM   #14
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
I have a Kindle 3. The screen is a thing of beauty. Battery life between 24 and 28 hours using the light that is powered through the Kindle. I imagine that without the light it would be longer, but I have no idea by how much.

Page turn buttons are in a perfect place, in my opinion. It is the natural position that I would hold a book. Additionally, they are on both sides so you can use either hand. The pages turn instantly

I have to say that I usually don't use them much. I use the auto page turner most of the time since I realized you could set the speed.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #15
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
My Sony 650 definitely has faster page turns than my 600 did. I didn't even expect it, but am quite surprised how much faster the 650 is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
And from everything I've read, a touchscreen (whether we're talking e-ink or not) makes the display slightly less crisp than an e-ink screen w/o a touchscreen layer. The OP talked about the quality of the display, but not about the interface as a barrier.
You're talking about the Sony 600 & 900. The 350, 650 & 950 Sony models don't have a layer of any sort over the eink screen, so they're just as crisp as a non-touch pearl screen. What they do use is infrared technology, which you can't see at all.

As for my personal opinion, if I didn't have the Kindle, I wouldn't miss it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote